Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    I'm well aware, I'm also aware that marathon runners have muscle and with possibly slight correction of form that they could fairly easily push their own body weight. And body type really doesn't play into this too much it's not like we're talking about a very hard task, it is the simple act of pushing your own body weight off your chest... If it is such a challenging act that it needs to be dissected and debated I feel sorry for you.
    I think you need to re-take biology before you jump into a conversation like this.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

i weigh 135 and can bench 180, need to be able to do heavy lifting for my work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I think you need to re-take biology before you jump into a conversation like this.
    I think my freshman biology was more than adequate to understand body types and the difference between endurance and strength, however it is my opinion that every male who considers themselves 'fit' or 'in shape' should easily be able to bench press their own body weight. I hardly think my opinion would change even with a masters in kinesiology.

FYI, I'm CrossFit Lvl 1 certified instructor so I have a fairly firm grasp on what the average male should and should not be capable of. I'm also very aware of all the excuses that are made to keep from being in shape.
    Last edited by Clevername; 2013-05-06 at 10:12 PM.

I could in November but I doubt it now I have not been to the gym in so long. 3rd year took up alot of my time (as well as been lazy)

10+ Year Old Account
    after looking up what a bench press is, but still having no idea how much i weigh, i would say probably no.
    i would say im fit and in shape, but im a runner/cyclist, they are the only sports/excersise i really do, my upper body strength isn't the best, but my legs are good my stamina and endurance is good. i would like to see how much i can bench, im not weak, just never really done muscle training.
    dragonmaw - EU

I'm pretty sure I reached my body weight, and then I started getting lazy again and quit working out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    'fit' or 'in shape'
    You use these terms like they have some magical universal meaning.

Is a slim runner fit? Is a huge bodybuilder fit? They clearly will perform hugely different at different tasks.

A runner won't be able to lift huge weights. A bodybuilder won't be able to run long distances.

Most people would say both are fit and both are in-shape. Just different versions of the word and different areas of ability.

But I'm glad that we finally got to the root of the argument. Your personal definition of "fit" and "in-shape" includes the requirement "Must be able to bench press their own body weight."

Unfortunately that's not a universally accepted standard soooooooo...that leaves us agreeing to disagree.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

I weigh 240 and can bench my weight, slightly more even, but not many reps. I need to get healthy again. My stamina is terrible.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    no...i can barely lift my cat lol :S

i use to be able to, but then i messed up my shoulder badly; it is still pops in and out sometimes
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs, and they do not fear.* They can not fear."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    no...i can barely lift my cat lol :S
    wtf? do you own a tiger or something?
    dragonmaw - EU

I can lift 100kg 12x and 110kg 5-6-7 depends on days i guess. plus i am 1.78 M and my weight is 80 kgs it seems i can lift my own weight

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i weigh 210lbs and my 3 rep max was 365, but im a badass most people are weak willed and dont have the disposition to go to the gym after a long days work like i do, i was working to be in the 400 club at my gym and the last piece was my bench.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    wtf? do you own a tiger or something?
    no, just a very fat cat combined with a very large cat breed and my natural ability to avoid exercise which makes me super weak :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Never tried, I am 27 and weigh 66 kg (145 lbs) and consider myself fit. I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could...

Only if I started running again and got down to around 200lbs. At 215-220, its about 15 lbs out of reach. Only at one point in my life was I ever able to do 235 for 3 reps. I'm a hard gainer. I'm about as slow as can be with adding muscule. On the postive side, I don't add much fat either.

10+ Year Old Account
    If pushups count, yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I have ever benched anything in my life.

I can do 30 chin ups no problem if that means anything though.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nario64 View Post
    Never tried, I am 27 and weigh 66 kg (145 lbs) and consider myself fit. I wouldn't be surprised if I couldn't do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could...
    How tall are you?

I'm only 150lbs~ myself and 5'8 but everyone looks at me as if I was anorexic.

10+ Year Old Account
    yes i can bench my own weight and then some.a few years back i weighed 215 pounds and my max bench was 435 lbs.no drugs no benching shirts nothing.past few years i have trimmed up a bit and im down to 190 but i can still hit 370-380 on the flat bench.

spending most of my free time thought out my life inside gyms,it was hard for me to think most people cant bench there own weight.but when i tested for ny state police my views changed.there was 100's of people taking the PT test broken down into groups of 6.these groups of 6 were packed into a college gym and were tested in push ups=sit ups-1.5 miles run and a 100 yard swim test.i was sitting there watching 3-4 people out of the groups of 6 fail either the push up or the sit ups.i seen noraml looking people get stuck on 15 out of 30 push ups.this was untimed and you could take as long as you wanted to on the push ups as long as you did not come out of the push up or rest at the bottom and you had to do 30.if you failed 1,then you failed and were kicked out and sent home.i watched alot of people leave that day,we were there for no less then 8 hours and testing was going on the hole time.

i know push ups are a little different then benching but push ups are easier for the most part "same movement".the lesson is that most "normal"people or those who do not workout all the time have a hard time benching there own weight.if you can your considered strong.
    Last edited by meathead; 2013-05-07 at 12:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm about 190cm tall and 70-75kg, I doubt I can even bench half my weight, although to be honest I've never tried.
    I just don't see what possible use I could have from training the muscles involved in bench pressing. I tend to focus my exercise on things that I actually use every day, so basically legs and back. I don't have any need to "look beefy" either.