Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I can't
    not in shape at all and put on a good 20-40 pounds this last year or so haha. too much sitting around not doing anything

I weigh 240 and can bench 315. It's easy if you workout alot

Deleted
    Began going to the gym in January this year, did 30kg I think. Now I can bench 67.5kg, 5x3 reps before faltering on the fourth and fifth set. I weigh 73-75 so not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    Or you could, you know, keep it up. Maintaining a phsyique isn't as difficult as building one.

Just over 4 weeks from now I'll be moving into a friends and we'll be investing in some basic gym equipment, can't wait to start training with iron. Currently just doing bodyweight exercises so I'm not completely inept to begin with. Another friend of mine got his dad's bench, I had a go and managed to bench 50kilos (at 67 kilos myself). Can't wait to improve upon it.

Got to say though it doesn't surprise me at all that most men can't lift their own bodyweight, certainly where I live.
    the premise behind getting moobs is more related to testosterone levels being reduced as a male grows older and with estrogen increasing. Just to reinforce what you said, weight lifting, weight (in relation to BMI), and adequate sleep can prevent this from happening and keep you testosterone at a healthy level.

Deleted
    i can do it easily but then again i do weigh 6 stone (not sure what that is in pounds)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I've read a few articles that suggest that your average man cannot bench press his own body weight. I'm wondering if this is true?
    Average guy = no. Moderately athletic guy who is into some sort of activity requiring upper body strength = yes.

The large majority of guys could easily bench press their own body weight after six weeks of the right diet and gym workouts, but most guys will never do that.

Nope. Then again, I don't focus on benching at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    Or you could, you know, keep it up. Maintaining a phsyique isn't as difficult as building one.

Just over 4 weeks from now I'll be moving into a friends and we'll be investing in some basic gym equipment, can't wait to start training with iron. Currently just doing bodyweight exercises so I'm not completely inept to begin with. Another friend of mine got his dad's bench, I had a go and managed to bench 50kilos (at 67 kilos myself). Can't wait to improve upon it.

Got to say though it doesn't surprise me at all that most men can't lift their own bodyweight, certainly where I live.
    Im talking after the age of 35, with that much weight your going to have to be injury free in order to maintain these levels. Sore wrist or shoulder and your not working out with that much weight for a few months and we know what happens then.

People just need to realize muscle turns to fat, very few people are doing 300lb sets when they are 45.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    I've read a few articles that suggest that your average man cannot bench press his own body weight. I'm wondering if this is true?
    I used to do 20% less than my body weight. A trainer I had said more than 10% your own body weight is possibly damaging and should never exceed it. Of course, opinions vary and it depends what you want to achieve with your body. Personally, I preferred high reps, lower weights and massive burn.

EDIT: by body weight, we're talking a "lean" body.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't even know how much I weigh. If I had to guess how much I weigh,t hen I'd say that yes, I can.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Im talking after the age of 35, with that much weight your going to have to be injury free in order to maintain these levels. Sore wrist or shoulder and your not working out with that much weight for a few months and we know what happens then.

People just need to realize muscle turns to fat, very few people are doing 300lb sets when they are 45.
    Muscle does not turn to fat.

If you do a lot of resistance training for years and years and are in great shape, lots of muscle, not much fat, etc, and then you suddenly stop exercising... the muscle doesn't magically turn into fat. In fact it doesn't turn into fat at all (with or without magic!). It's just that people are accustomed to taking in a certain level of calories, so they keep doing it. Combined with a lack of exercise, this will put on fat the same as it would with someone who had never done any resistance training.

Simultaneously, their muscles start becoming less toned, and smaller in volume, due to not being worked so much. So it might feel like their muscle is turning to fat, but they're actually losing muscle (due to inactivity) and, separately, at the same time, gaining fat (due to eating too much).

But the muscle does not turn into fat.

Deleted
    Yeah, I currently weight about 90kgs and my current record in bench press so far is 152,5kg(RAW ofc).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldred View Post
    Muscle does not turn to fat.
    This man speaks truth.

I could when I was in shape (read: much lighter and actively working out ), but when I focused on studies due to lack of rec leagues in my area I got much bigger D:. So definitely not anymore.
    But then again, I am a Snowman on Fire!
    Yizelin the Insane

80 more pounds and I will be able to. Im not really the working out type but I been trying to get into it lately.

I am 237 lbs and can bench 435 for 3 reps

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently weigh 238 and can bench 335 (3-4x on a good day, maybe twice at the most on a bad day.)

So yea.... I can.

I weigh 130 lbs, i can rep that 10 times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't worked out at a gym in years, but I do live out in the woods now, which has actually given me more strength and muscle endurance than I ever got in a gym. When I worked out, I weighed 265 with a body fat percentage of 24%, and was able to bench press 325. I'm 260 now, with a body fat percentage of 28%, and am able to lift things close to 400 pounds. My body has completely changed in comparison from working out at a gym and doing manual labor, and I actually feel alot more fit and athletic now than I did before, since my muscles are no longer as "stiff" from just lifting weights.

Overall though, I would think that majority of people would not be able to lift their own bodyweight, especially the heavier you are. Just because someone is 150lbs and can bench 185 does not make it equivalent to someone weighing 250 and benching 285.

10+ Year Old Account
    Key word here is average, and depending on your background and life style, I would venture to guess that no, the average person cannot bench press their own weight.