Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Staring at the mini-map 95% of the time!

It wasn't until Friday's stress test that I realized that I've been spending most of my time playing GW2 staring at the mini-map.
    I grew so dependent on the mini-map for; spotting gathering materials like plants, ores and wood, etc; looking how to get to places, etc. Things the mini-map shows you.

I tried making the mini-map smaller so that it doesn't show me too many things around me, but it didn't work, my eyes keep going to the mini-map for 95% of the time I was playing. Horrible habit!

I want to be able to memorize and recognize the areas around me, and also recognized gathering nodes like wood, ores, etc etc. I also want to take in the view and the great details that were put into this game.

So I decided to cut out a square piece of thick paper and cover my mini-map! I left room around the border so I can have an idea of the direction my personal story is, or waypoints and hearts. But the mini-map will no longer hold my hand to get there. I tested this out for half of today's stress test and I can already see a small improvement- though half hour isn't really a long time to truly tell.

Are you guys as dependent on the mini-map as I am?

(Below: Square cut-out covering the mini-map)

I'm the opposite actually, I hardly ever look at it. When I do, it's just to try and locate a party member went out of view, or to see where the event is when the "new event nearby" pops up.

There's an option to actually disable all of the icons on your mini map. Keeps the map functioning as, well, a map, but leaves less sticky residue on your monitor. I'd call that a win

On my first run around a zone, I usually go out of my way to ignore pretty much every heart, every waypoint, and just see what I can find. Events? Cool. Hey look a huge cliff, can I climb it? Awesome. I usually get half of my hearts done by complete accident before I start looking around for things I need to take care of.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    There's an option to actually disable all of the icons on your mini map. Keeps the map functioning as, well, a map, but leaves less sticky residue on your monitor. I'd call that a win

On my first run around a zone, I usually go out of my way to ignore pretty much every heart, every waypoint, and just see what I can find. Events? Cool. Hey look a huge cliff, can I climb it? Awesome. I usually get half of my hearts done by complete accident before I start looking around for things I need to take care of.
    Oh, I didn't know that! If we get another stress test or just when the game comes out, I'll look for that option. Lol, I feel so silly now. :x

10+ Year Old Account
    In any game ever, if there is not a mini-map, I will instantly get lost and will quit playing, THAT is how dependent I am on the mini-map.

I honestly didnt even know you could see gathering materials on it lol. But no i never really look at it, when i want to find anything i tend to just tap M tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't stare at it constantly, but I will use it if I can't find stuff I'm looking for.
    Maybe glance at it occasionally to see if there's something I missed in an area.

Just depends on wht im doing. If I'm specifically farming crafting mats i use it a ton, if im just roaming for hearts I barely notice it's there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I only use the mini-map in MMO's for gathering nodes mostly, or trying to find a party member. Other than that I usually just ignore it, or use the map screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I glance at it. In WvWvW I used it the most to see where the majority is going.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I look at the minimap as much as I do the side mirror in a car, glances to assess the situation, not staring.

I didn't use the mini-map much really, I always opened the map instead all the time, dunno why.

Deleted
    Yeah i guess i am! if not the minimap its the normal map

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to use a mini map in GW2, because I get lost too easy IRL. I found that in my first BW I was lvl 7 or 8 and wondered into a 12 zone, I got creamed. I loved the jumping puzzles and vistas but without a map i'd be running in big loops lol

I only spend excessive amounts of time stareing at it if I'm out on a gathering run. Beyond that its only quick glances to determin what direction I'm headed if I get turned around, locating my party members or trying to figure out what direction that DE that just had the alert popup is in. I could probably turn off the mini map altogether if I had a simple compass and if the party/DE UI gave an arrow that indicated direction.

BTW I'd recomend postit notes. they are about the right size for what your doing and dont normaly leave behind any sticky residue no mater what you stick them too.

Who is John Galt?

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I never look at maps.

im da bes at geetin loss

Never crossed my mind. Which leads me to believe that I look at it no more than I do in other MMO's. Everyone is different though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hardly look at it when doing PvE stuff in the PvE world. In WvW however I consider it a very valuable tool.

I look at my minimap (or sometimes M) when:

1 - I wanna know where my team/group is in Pvp or Pve settings
    2 - When I want to know where Im heading xD
    3 - When I think some node for gathering could be around, mainly hidden sneaky mining ones. The rest is pretty visible.

I really don't have the problem, but well haha good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Javey View Post
    Oh, I didn't know that! If we get another stress test or just when the game comes out, I'll look for that option. Lol, I feel so silly now. :x
    Someone told me about that after BWE2, and I enjoyed BWE3 much more with all my icons turned off. Much more my style of play.
    -Styopa