Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanibull View Post
    That's exactly how i felt at first, but I found that it wasn't the game- it was the habit of allowing myself to be led around by the nose in the other games I'd played. If you run from heart to heart, like you would quest hubs in WoW, you will never have enough experience. The hearts were only put into the game to guide you to the dynamic events, and dynamic events can lead to quite long chains, if you stick around for a minute after one is done.

Enigmius1 does a great job of illustrating this here:

I wish i had seen this before the first time I played.

Thanks for the input and the video. I'll definately check it out since I want to give the game an honest chance regarding PvE since I really like the PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Vice80 View Post
    Quite dufferent for me. I made a norn and I was pretty bored at first. Got hooked up only after playing quite few hours. Norn starting locations pretty bad, but game grows on you later on. Was playing human in latest couple stress tests and gotta say humans' starting locations and town is much better. But norns much better themselves overall so I'm sticking with them anyway.
    The norn area was boring? Well I was the exact opposite, the norn area was making my imagination run wild, I mean the look of the area is something I would expect from a Viking type of race....vast tree's covered in fog, rivers, wood lodge type of buildings.

The bad thing is i wasn't able to take my time to really even appreciate it all, I was more like "wow thats cool, holy crap look over there, man look at the minotaurs running through this forest this s***t is unreal!!". So ya quite a different experience then what you had....

Also for people talking about the learning curve of the game, I don't think it will be bad at all. I skipped all initial starting quests (which usually show you the ropes of a game) and went straight into battle. Needless to say there was some confusion but not much, all I did was take a quick look at what skills I could use, then I just walked to any area that told me there was a DE nearby (also taking a look at my minimap). So all in all, pretty easy IMO considering that I didn't do any nooby quests and jumped straight into the thick of things with little or no confusion at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    They cost exactly what they need forproviding a quality content. What is more important, this paltry sum allows you to feel yourself as a white man, experience the game at its fullest, without limitations, to enjoy voice acting and not subtitles, to have localization instead of English, to use living customer support instead of NCSoft engrish mail bots.

Infracted for trolling. -- Fencers
    Wait...what....I don't even.....

What does being white and feeling yourself have to do with giving Blizzard $180 a year?

And GW2 has WAAAAAAAYYYYY more voice acting than WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually never had any problems with ncsoft support. I contacted them a couple of times (once for an account theft issue on my 2nd GW1 account) and once for aion. Both issues were resolved in a decent time-span, and the person handling the ticket used proper English.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    i may give it a shot, allthough as a guildmaster i have to stay online in wow... i hope there is endgame in gw2 and it doesn´t go the swtor way
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Please define quality, and content please. You mean content like ZA, ZG, and heroic versions of old dungeons? Quality like 3 day tickets, or 45-50 minute CS calls?

NCsoft is far from perfect, but ffs they are not charging for everything, and anything.
    Isn't this the same company that puts a cash shop into every game they make?

Thought this post was hilarious when reading it, because obviously the poster didn't think it through.

I'm treating GW2 as a side game, like I do with D3 or any other B2P game when I have downtime in the WoW or whatever I'm playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post

Thought this post was hilarious when reading it, because obviously the poster didn't think it through.
    As if Blizzard didn't have a store where you could buy in game items. The difference is, with Guild Wars 2's gem store, you can buy the gems used in the store with in game gold instead of paying cash.

Obviously you didn't think this through, but it wasn't particularly funny, just kind of boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharjax View Post
    I decided to make a new thread based upon my first impressions of this game, so you will see this post here and also in my "Should I have high hopes?" threa.

So after playing the 1 hour stress test today I must say...I am completely blown away by this game. This is coming from an avid WoW player from back in the day.

From the hour that I played (I rushed through a lot of stuff) this game is absolutely INCREDIBLE! The combat, the classes, the character customization, the 2 zones I experienced (norn and charr starting zone)...THe dynamic events, the sounds, the music, the Dynamic Events.

This game has really blown me out of the water with ONLY1 hour played!! Arenanet has done an AWESOME job, I can't even type my emotions for how excited I am about this game!

I now believe ArenaNet has truly made something special. I really think this game is going to take off and be a great success.

Even my brother who still plays WoW and was on the fence of getting MoP, he came over today and watched the 1 hour I was able to play, and he was in complete awe...

I am very confident in ArenaNets work and what they have done!
    Praising GW2 in the GW2 forum is like praising jesus in a church, you're not gonna get much of a discussion out of it

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post

I'm treating GW2 as a side game, like I do with D3 or any other B2P game when I have downtime in the WoW or whatever I'm playing.
    NCSoft didn't create Guildwars2, Arenanet did, and all the content comes from their developers, while NCSoft does own Anet I'm fairly certain they are there to fund the game and handle cash shops, but have nothing to do with the content and customer support (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

But just like guildwars it's sequel will be a side game for a lot of people, when their primary game is down for maintenance, or when they don't have anything to do in their primary game. But that's perfectly okay, there is still a big population that will make GW2 their main MMO. The gw2 and wow bashing is redundant. It's all preference, people really need to stop this bickering. It's getting old.

Sylvari Necromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Xtinction View Post
    Remember your first reaction to wow..?

Playing a new good game is of course going to be fun in the first hours of gameplay... Come back and say it's an amazing game after ten years (if it'll even be around for that long) as that is how long WoW has been around for.

I doubt even Blizzard will be able to make a better game once WoW has reached its end.
    First reaction to WoW?
    Well when i took out the trial all those years ago i thought it was some kind of joke, when they told me 6-7 million people play this game i reached the conclusion (my own opinion) they only play due to the social aspect of the game, and people are scared to unsub because omg my friends, omg my warrior that ive spent a thousand hours on. I lol'd and uninstalled the trial instantly.

Doesn't need to be "good for 10 years" to blow the MMO genre out of the water, WoW pro-longing its lifespan has no effect on Gw2 at all. We are in 2012 and it is clearly showing when it comes to WoW.
    And define "make a better game" - quality over quantity, you talking about content? or actually having another game with as much subs?
    Because myself, like many many others didn't play WoW because of the content, it was the MMO part of the game itself, if i played the game for content i'd unsub after ~ a week?[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 03:59 PM ----------

OT : Gw2 looks stunning, plays stunning, simply stunning. The game will be absolutely fantastic and a game finally as rich in content, quality and enough polish to blow the genre out of the water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtinction View Post
    Come back and say it's an amazing game after ten years (if it'll even be around for that long) as that is how long WoW has been around for.
    No MMORPG has been out for that long yet. Well, I guess EQ technically has been out for 13 years, but how popular is it these days? *shrug*

Very few games remain in the spotlight for that long at all, so I don't know why you say that as if it's unusual for a game to not be popular 10 years later. I mean, 10 years later I still thoroughly enjoy FFX, but it also is still the exact same game it was when it released, since it's not a constantly-updated online game. It's certainly not a mainstream game these days. People have moved on to other video games since it came out.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Not to pour cold water on it but to be honest I heard the same thing about SWTOR. Let time and the market decide if GW2 is a success or not.

From what I have seen, with LFR/LFD taken out, only 3 max lv dungeons, cosmetic gear rewards and one island of dailies for PVE endgame, its doesn't sound like my sort of game. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Drake there are a few MMOs that have been out longer then 10 years and even tho they don't have millions of subs, they are still making money and running to this day. EQ, UO,Asheron's Call and others I can not name off the top of my head. Last year UO still had over 100,000 subs which is nothing to look down on. UO has also been out 15 years making it the longest running MMO to date, also fun fact it was the first MMO to be indeed called a MMO making it the grandfather of the market.

Damn I am starting to feel old....
    Last edited by zeelic; 2012-08-13 at 03:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hatsune View Post
    Not to pour cold water on it but to be honest I heard the same thing about SWTOR. Let time and the market decide if GW2 is a success or not.

From what I have seen, with LFR/LFD taken out, only 3 max lv dungeons, cosmetic gear rewards and one island of dailies for PVE endgame, its doesn't sound like my sort of game. I'll keep an eye on it though.
    GW2 is one of the few MMO's that doesn't really benefit all that much from an automated dungeon finder. Basically, 5 random people could clear any 5-man dungeon in the game, as long as they're skilled enough.

While the game has 3 dungeons that are lvl 80, any lower level dungeon will still be challenging since you will be down-leveled to the appropriate level.

Also, ever dungeon has 4 different modes (1 story/3 explorables) with different paths, difficulty. Comparable to for example Scarlet monastery or sorrow's furnace in GW1.

We know little of the lvl 80 zone in ORR, except that's it's basically a big pve battleground where players will constantly have to fight off mobs to keep capture points, it should be more intense than just running dailies.

Horizontal gear progression is a design choice which some people will not like. I prefer it (for pvp especially) but nothing wrong with preferring vertical gear progression.

You're right that SWTOR, which was also hyped up like hell, didn't really storm the market like a lot of people said it would. I don't think GW2 will "change the way we play MMORPG's" either. I don't expect it to. I just expect to have fun
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

True, they are I think hoping that the superficial zergtastic dynamic quests (chained boring kill X, collect Y quests where you can just ride the zerg to complete) and the same old same old battlegrounds will keep people playing. The WvWvW is probably the only hope of this game being interesting at all.

GW2 is one of the few MMO's that doesn't really benefit all that much from an automated dungeon finder. Basically, 5 random people could clear any 5-man dungeon in the game, as long as they're skilled enough.
    The lack of an automated tool leads to just more frustration and effort for players. This is normally a dealbreaker to me. I tolerated SWTOR for a month just for the single player questline and there doesn't seem to be any similar selling point for GW2.

I understand the design team's vision is to avoid LFD for PVE although it is present in PVP. They seem to be trying to play the 'community card' like SWTOR did by resisting calls for PVE LFD. I'll keep an eye on GW2 and if they include LFD in the future, i'll be a pull factor. I'm more interested in how this island of dailies will work as an endgame mechanic but that I will leave to the pioneer players to test and share with the rest of us.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of an automated tool leads to just more frustration and effort for players.
    Not that I think we shouldn't get one, but how?

We don't need tanks or healers.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

@Gainesvilleg that is only your opinion, as I have had more fun playing guild wars 2 then any other MMO that has come out sense UO. The dynamic questing is by far the best enjoyment I have had leveling in the main stream market outside of sanbox MMO's. SPvP could use some work as it is still Bg's, warzones or whatever you want to call them. The only thing that keeps them fun to me is the active combat that the game offers. I am tired of games rolling a dice (%chance) to hit or be hit, so this aspect puts GW2 ahead of the market at lease for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The lack of an automated tool leads to just more frustration and effort for players. This is normally a dealbreaker to me. I tolerated SWTOR for a month just for the single player questline and there doesn't seem to be any similar selling point for GW2.

I understand the design team's vision is to avoid LFD for PVE although it is present in PVP. They seem to be trying to play the 'community card' like SWTOR did by resisting calls for PVE LFD. I'll keep an eye on GW2 and if they include LFD in the future, i'll be a pull factor. I'm more interested in how this island of dailies will work as an endgame mechanic but that I will leave to the pioneer players to test and share with the rest of us.
    Since there's not need for specific roles, it should be easy to find enough players for a dungeon run.

Usually, this is what I write in other games (I'm usually a healer):

Me: LF tank and 3DPS for dungeon X
    5 min and lots of DPS whispers later
    Me: LF Tank dungeon X
    some dps leave because it takes too long, get new dps instantly
    Everyone leaves after 1 dps says "fuck this shit, I'm out"

"This is not 100% accurate, sometimes I actually find a tank"
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Not that I think we shouldn't get one, but how?

We don't need tanks or healers.
    Recruitment: Grabbing allies takes time. Not everyone might be interested in the content you propose even with the gear/level/role problems removed. The time taken to form a group should be faster than if these problems existed but depending on your RNG luck, it could take a while.

Breakups: Your allies have to afk/gtg/dinner/troll/rage/quit etc in mid run. You no longer have a full team. You now need to repeat recruitment while hoping that the rest of your team is patient enough to wait for a replacement. Recruitment takes time, the longer it takes, the higher chance your current party members will balk and leave too.

In short, the amount of time spent not doing content (spamming chat and such) as well as the probability of a failrun due to lack of members is significantly higher when no LFD exists. High to the point where I normally want nothing to do with it. I accepted in my 1 month of SWTOR that coop PVE content was going to be a bonus to the questing, nothing more. Because it is that frustrating when things go wrong.