Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    "dude" I'm clearly refering to OP here. Why you always think people are talking to you in this thread, some ego problems?
    Why do you think that I think you're talking to me specifically? Why so defensive?

I'm merely pointing out that there's people among the GW2 fanbase who have had hundreds of hours of time to try this game out. If you were addressing the OP, sure, fine, whatever (and no, it wasn't perfectly clear, considering you didn't quote him directly, or say anything close to "OP, blah blah blah") - but it's silly to insinuate that people are judging GW2 off only that one stress test.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

And I said That's enough, from everyone.
    --Kel
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the club OP! And even if you get tired of GW2 on the short term, the good thing is that you can come back anytime without feeling left behind as far as character power goes

Ah.... the beauty of a sub-less MMO

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    well, I like GW2 too, but there's a wise saying -" don't judge the book but it's cover"
    1 hour spent in mmo is nothing, it's like saying the movie is great after seeing 15 sec teaser with best scenes in it.
    Someone gave a good example of it - Age of Conan, everybody loved the tutorial island, voice overs, nice story, and felt cheated after lvl 20.
    From my knowledge we didnt see game beyond lvl 35, and thats the important part, who knows what it is, maybe it's crap, so better have a cool head, don't hype game too much and praise it to the gods, like it is second coming of jesus.
    as I said before, Age of Conan was horrible, you could tell that right away. I tried war hammer online, it was horrible from the get go. I will even say this, I tried to play Guild Wars, I really didn't care for it because IMO WoW was much better at the time.

Big deal if I only got 1 hour worth of play time in, that's actually enough to form a decent opinion. I don't have to play 120 hours to finally say "gee this sure is a good game". I really liked what I have seen so far.

If you don't care for my opinion that's fine, but don't try to convince me otherwise because you think a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    1.) GW2 and Warhammer are almost identical in concept,

2.) War hammer called it PQ, GW2 calls it Dynamic something or other. In Warhammer, the strong contributors got rewards ( or better odds on dice?) and in GW2 everyone gets rewarded no matter how much you contribute.

3.) The WvW is exactly the same as well, even down to them pouring oil on you while you set up battering rams.
    1.) imho lol. Dicerolls for loot are the opposite design decision to cooperative gameplay found in GW2.
    2.) Not true, there is gold, silver and bronze-medals based on your contributions. It was bugged in the beta because sometimes you didn't have to do a lot to get gold.
    3.) guess you've never played in the huge WvW-zones with tons of castles, supply routes, PvE-content / mercenaries, jumping puzzles,...

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    I wouldn't call an MMORPG without a seamless open and background loading world "special".

I would even call an MMORPG with loading screens and closed zones mediocre in design.

... people will never learn really...
    Dang, man, why ya gotta hate on WoW like that.

Well, though 1 & 2 are highly inaccurate and #3 rather exaggerated-- Miah is somewhat right in that WvW shares a lot with the design and playstyle of RvR. Which Warhammer and Dark Age of Camelot [psst, they made WAR] sorta brought to the fore.

PQs are very different from DEs, however. In a macro & micro sense. PsQ were static, always recurring in the same manner. PQs had no branching effect on a zone. PQs were not the questing schema of Warhammer. PQs were finite in that there was a set number for each tier.

The concept behind Warhammer and Guild Wars could not be more different. Warhammer was aiming to provide open world PVP at all levels of gameplay. This is not the design goal of Guild Wars 2 to any degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad you're happy about it!

Heh, I haven't played WoW much at all lately, but I logged in a couple days ago... and man I didn't feel very at home xD. Way too many buttons to remember what everything does, granted I got on my level 84 warrior thinking I'd get her to 85 because why not.

Anyways, I just have gotten to the point where I feel much more comfortable jumping back into GW2 than I do WoW. I played off and on today's stress test just because and ugh, it's so tempting to just keep going but with characters being wiped it's also disheartening to get too far.

Hurry up and be the 25th

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

So, I logged in to today's stress test, more to add numbers to the servers than to play. At this point, I'm just impatient for launch, and don't really want to do too much more beforehand.

So, I head to Snowden Drifts with my Guardian, just to run around and see the sights a bit. I come across a house, and inside is a norn who has been injured. Outside, his son is collecting armor to use to scare off the nasty little critters that hurt his dad. I say, well, why not and help him collect the armor, then, since I'm not in a hurry, I stick around to see what happens. One of my mistakes in the first BWE was rushing away- old habits die hard.

I don't want to get into a spoiler laden wall of text here, but what happened next is I was led into a chain of events that may have been one of the most fun, epic feeling experiences I've ever had in a video game (my first video games were mud's, so I've been around a while).

I've played the other games that everyone is comparing GW2 to. I have an 85 of each class in WoW, I've played GW1, Rift, SWtOR, LotRO, and Warhammer. I've played every BWE, and every stress test. When it comes right down to it, GW2 is incredibly fun, and even if I get to the end game and suddenly have problems with it, I will have gotten my monies worth. Hell, I payed $45 for Ico back in the day, and it could be completed in a few hours. (I try not to think about how much my wife and I have paid to play WoW for 5 years O.o)

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, though 1 & 2 are highly inaccurate and #3 rather exaggerated-- Miah is somewhat right in that WvW shares a lot with the design and playstyle of RvR. Which Warhammer and Dark Age of Camelot [psst, they made WAR] sorta brought to the fore.

PQs are very different from DEs, however. In a macro & micro sense. PsQ were static, always recurring in the same manner. PQs had no branching effect on a zone. PQs were not the questing schema of Warhammer. PQs were finite in that there was a set number for each tier.

The concept behind Warhammer and Guild Wars could not be more different. Warhammer was aiming to provide open world PVP at all levels of gameplay. This is not the design goal of Guild Wars 2 to any degree.
    Eh, don't pretend Guild Wars 2 isn't trying to provide PvP at all levels as well. If they weren't they wouldn't open SPvP or WvW to characters of all levels. The key difference is WAR tried to do it through its little RvR lakes and unique battlegrounds for various level ranges. GW2 realizes that idea is kind of dumb, and its better to just let players of all levels get to the real meat of the PvP systems.

I like to think of GW2 as the game WAR wanted to be. WAR laid down a lot of the ground work and ideas (and in its PvP system, DAoC) that GW2 puts to use in completely fantastic ways.

In some ways it kind of reminds me of EQ and WoW.
    Last edited by Willias; 2012-08-16 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanibull View Post
    Dang, man, why ya gotta hate on WoW like that.
    No point responding to someone who is banned, particularly to a borderline trollish post. That and game vs game type posts are a quick way to get infracted around here, better to not skirt too close to that.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    i will buy MOP and play it for sometime , but i will still watch how GW2 do, and maybe when i get bored from MOP (4-5months) i will give GW2 a try if i keep hearing good news... thank for ur opinion OP and the rest of the guys i read (not all)