Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

English Doctors calling for a Ban on long Knives

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4581871.stm

I got a pretty good laugh about this. Where does it stop? I mean I have joked in gun control debates about Knife bans but it was always hyperbolic.

So what happens when they ban long knives and stabbing with short knives goes up, or bludgeonings with bats go up?
    READ and be less Ignorant.

I opened that and immediately saw this caption:

Doctors say knives are too pointed
    LOLed at the other thread with people telling me how much less free the US is than Western Europe.

in the US we have knife laws. some pertain to length, others to type, ie switchblade. the length laws only apply to a knife that is carried around in public though

Deleted
    They should just ban hands. If you don't have hands you can't hold a weapon!

Deleted
    That article is from 2005, its already illegal to carry a knife in england and carries a prison sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    mitten laws ftw

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    in the US we have knife laws. some pertain to length, others to type, ie switchblade. the length laws only apply to a knife that is carried around in public though
    Yes, they have similar laws in the UK as well. But this call is not for small pocket knives but for long kitchen knives. Not limited to just not carrying them around in public but outright BAN as in even cooks and what not would have them.

Like to reiterate this is not the government banning anything. Its a group of people, in this case doctors, calling for it. While I agree its a dumb idea I can see where they're coming from. If you've taken an oath to save lives and see a large number of serious injuries coming from knives I can understand feeling some kind of way about that.

Home Office doesn't seem very interested.

So how would you go about preparing food without kitchen knives?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Like to reiterate this is not the government banning anything. Its a group of people, in this case doctors, calling for it. While I agree its a dumb idea I can see where they're coming from. If you've taken an oath to save lives and see a large number of serious injuries coming from knives I can understand feeling some kind of way about that.

Home Office doesn't seem very interested.
    Correct this is not a law in the process of being passed, simply some doctors who think if they can get a long knife ban stabbings will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    So how would you go about preparing food without kitchen knives?
    Its just a proposed ban on large pointed knives. You don't really use the point of a butcher knife for anything special. Its really just a more deadly cleaver.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Not limited to just not carrying them around in public but outright BAN as in even cooks and what not would have them.
    now that's just a horrible idea

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, like it says in the article what do you really need massive knives like that for? id bet the vast majority of people dont need them. Sure short knife crime might go up but it would be much less fatal.
    Sounds like sense to me, its so easy for someone to get hammered, get into an argument and stab someone when they would never normally do something like that.
    Ofcourse i dont think an outright ban is necessary, but maybe some how limiting where there sold perhaps.

It really does stand to reason that if knives are too dangerous for the public that banning learning how to box is appropriate as well. That has far less practical application than a knife, it's used strictly to injure people.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It really does stand to reason that if knives are too dangerous for the public that banning learning how to box is appropriate as well. That has far less practical application than a knife, it's used strictly to injure people.
    Same old lethality argument.

Plus boxing is a socially accepted sport where as professional kitchen knife fighting is frowned up on policy society.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its just a proposed ban on large pointed knives. You don't really use the point of a butcher knife for anything special. Its really just a more deadly cleaver.
    boning and filet knifes make use of their points, and arent exactly short

boning and filet knifes make use of their points, and arent exactly short
    True, and illustrates problems here, though neither knife has the weight or size of a pointed kitchen knife.

To be perfectly honest, it's all stupid. So you take away knives. People will just find something else to do something terrible to their neighbor with. It won't reduce violence, it'll only reduce the type. Then instead of stabs you'll see people attaching a chain to a brick and swinging that around, and you'll have your next epidemic.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Some of them are quit hilarious to. A lot of them go WAAAY back to the early 1800's when Bowie knives were super popular to carry around and fighting with them happened often.

In fact, the first concealed carry supreme court case was not over guns, but over cane swords.