Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I found that "Immortal Emily" has been saved in GW1 by someone. Kinda glad I didn't manage to get my blog url as Agile Emily now.

Also, the name thing won't allow the word "Sexy" in it. Found that out last stress test.

If you're the sort of player who wants a specific name but also wants to play around a bit with the character creator, then when you first launch the game, just rush to the end of the character creator, put in the name, enter the game, and quit back out to the character selection screen. You can then delete the character you created and start creating a new one slowly by exploring all the character creation options. Names of deleted characters are stored for a certain number of days before being freely available again, so this is a safe way to ensure that by the time you finish fiddling with the character creator, the name will be available.

Of course this doesn't help you if the name you want has already been taken by the time you first log in, but hey at least it's something.

I'm pretty sick of my name being taken everywhere all the time (even though it's usually a short word, so naturally pretty popular). At least guild wars 2 allows special characters. Still I hate whole one name per game idea and it would be nice for them to forcefully rename characters that haven't been played for, say, 3 months. I don't remember actually meeting someone who stole my name in game, in fact on some servers in WoW it was often some low lvl alt that haven't been used so long, it's not even in armory anymore.

Deleted
    Yesterday I actually had an interesting episode regarding my name. Just as I had logged onto the stress test, I got invited to a party. It must have been a mistake because I quickly noticed that someone in the party was called "Schalla" or something.

I've got a nemesis now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    That's the good thing if you can choose to use names of your non-english native language.
    The probability of them taken is much lower than with english ones. =)

Maybe some of you want to experiment with foreign names, too?
    (hint though: don't bother with popular japanese names)
    Sometimes I get told that the names I pick mean something in another language. My shaman's name in WoW, for example, apparently meant "rebirth" in Greek. But I don't go out of my way to get names meaning something.

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 01:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    Names of deleted characters are stored for a certain number of days before being freely available again
    24 hours.

/10asura

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 01:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vice80 View Post
    it would be nice for them to forcefully rename characters that haven't been played for, say, 3 months.
    That'd be annoying for anyone who takes a break for 3+ months, which is perfectly viable. You come home from a vacation, your friend nags you to see the awesome new clothes she's gotten in GW2, you log in... and your character is now named Placeholder2713. Not only is the name you got acquainted with your character with entirely gone, you might not even be able to get it back.

10+ Year Old Account
    i know its not my place but it utterly kills me to know the name i wanted was taken by someone that did nothing but merely link their account.. (found this out by putting said name into HoM calc)

Deleted
    Faolan Symbio - Sylvari Necromancer
    Grosh Steel - Charr Engineer
    Lazarus Kane - Human Guardian
    Bibi - Asura Thief

none taken so far, and don't you dare take em

I like names, really do ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
    Faolan Symbio - Sylvari Necromancer
    Grosh Steel - Charr Engineer
    Lazarus Kane - Human Guardian
    Bibi - Asura Thief

none taken so far, and don't you dare take em

I like names, really do ^^
    I know we are not suppose to call people dumb around here BUT, if you haven't secure your name and really want them, dont share them like this becouse people are in general asses

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    I know we are not suppose to call people dumb around here BUT, if you haven't secure your name and really want them, dont share them like this becouse people are in general asses
    Ah it's okay, by the time the game is out I have already come up with better names ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    That'd be annoying for anyone who takes a break for 3+ months, which is perfectly viable. You come home from a vacation, your friend nags you to see the awesome new clothes she's gotten in GW2, you log in... and your character is now named Placeholder2713. Not only is the name you got acquainted with your character with entirely gone, you might not even be able to get it back.
    THREE MONTHS vacation?!! Please do tell me, good sir, where can I get a job such as this. 3 months is too much for ANY vacation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vice80 View Post
    THREE MONTHS vacation?!! Please do tell me, good sir, where can I get a job such as this. 3 months is too much for ANY vacation.
    He didn't say vacation, he said break, as in, break from the game. Big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    He didn't say vacation, he said break, as in, break from the game. Big difference.
    Thank you.

---

To clarify, I did not mean that vacation was the only thing that kept you from playing. Maybe, say, you've just become a parent and had little to no time to play for two months. Then you have a one month vacation. That's three months. Or maybe you've just moved to the middle of nowhere and it takes two months to get a cable for internet drawn to your new home, then you come home from a one month vacation. That's three months.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like only having one name.

I'm torn between a one word name or a two word name though. To my delight, last stress test I discovered my name wasn't chosen (even on WoW there are only 6-7 toons with my name anyway (three are mine <.< >.>).... but I kinda want a last name too. Decisions Decisions ;(

God I hope the naming conventions prohibit stupid names...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyphran View Post
    To my delight, last stress test I discovered my name wasn't chosen (even on WoW there are only 6-7 toons with my name anyway (three are mine <.< >.>).... but I kinda want a last name too. Decisions Decisions ;(
    Don't take this the wrong way, but... that's a terrible name.

Deleted
    Now the up to 3 hours early start for some servers makes in kind of unfair for people who play on servers that will come online later than that.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    The names are on 1 global database, instead of each server being separate. If someone takes a name nobody on any other server can take it.
    This is false, one of my names is Malkhor and I have one on a lot of different servers.

Deleted
    I always thought Kooka was unique but it was taken in the beta weekends :/

Quote Originally Posted by Malkhor View Post
    This is false, one of my names is Malkhor and I have one on a lot of different servers.
    Keep telling yourself that.
    /sip juice
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkhor View Post
    Are you sure? What grandpab said was said by the ANet Devs themselves, so you might be mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Kyurem View Post
    Are you sure? What grandpab said was said by the ANet Devs themselves, so you might be mistaken?
    He's sure. He's just talking about the wrong game.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~