Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I made up my mind.
    I will spend the first quest and daily to get a 2hrs buff instantly when starting hyjal.
    I will then use the rest of the buffs for Pandaria since exp is a lot tighter there.
    Not having to worry to do almost every quest in a zone to avoid mindless mob slaying is a big + for me.
    Depending on the situation i might redirect 1 buff to speed up 84-85 but thats just because the Alliance quests are just so silly in highlands.

Its easier if you think about the xp required to get from 80-90 as one big block, instead of 10 distinct chunks.

When you do that, it becomes obvious that you want to use this bonus in the highest xp/hr part of the leveling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyalise View Post
    They are both absolutely identical.

If you are doing starting area at 1000xp/hour then it takes 1hr 30 mins to get 1500 xp. If you use the quest it takes you 1hr to get 1500 xp. So you save 30 mins getting those xp. If you are doing Jade Forest at 10m xp/hour the it takes 1hr 30 mins to get 15m xp. If you use the quest it takes 1hr. So you save 30 mins getting those xp.

If it takes 40 hours from 1 to 90, it takes 39.5 hours if you pop one quest as soon as you can. It also takes 39.5 hours if you pop one quest when you are getting max xp / hour.

Stop thinking of XP as a milestone it means nothing - only thing that matters is TIME SAVED, and that is thirty minutes

Your math is off, You don't calculate time spent moving, exp lost while outleveling the zone, at 80+ your 'math' starts to be more accurate, depending on zone, obviously.

i know i am grabbing the level 20 and the level 20 dailiy as soon as i can simply because leveling when it goes live you get a free hour then before the daily resets.

then i will prolly use 1 hour in HFP 1 in Zanger and 1 in Nagrand just to speed out that content, then i will use one in Boring Tundra just to get though that place, then i have no desided for sure on the rest. Seeing how i will have access to multiple daily versions of the qest though level its important to always use atleast 1 each day as to no wast that daily. So no matter what each day you play you need to use one of the normal buffs and 1 daily version or else you was losing time.

---------- Post added 2012-09-17 at 08:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    Your math is off, You don't calculate time spent moving, exp lost while outleveling the zone, at 80+ your 'math' starts to be more accurate, depending on zone, obviously.
    he is correct. No matter what, if you did say level 20-40 right now in 2 hours, that same distance will take you 30 less minutes using one of the buffs. you knock of 30 minutes of what your normal time would be, granted it is more ideal not to have any downtime, but reality is you will have wasted minutes no matter when you use it.

Here's a spreadsheet I made to illustrate that the level that you decide to use the buffs doesn't matter. The people that don't agree with that statement mainly argue that if you use the buffs at level 85+ you get a lot more "exp per buff," which is very true, but it doesn't end up saving you any more time on your journey to 90.

Running through my spreadsheet, I ball-parked each level's exp/hour to get to 85/90 in a reasonable amount of time.

The Control test gets to 1-85 in ~2 days played, and 1-90 in ~3 days played.

Each other test, it didn't matter where I placed the buffs, as long as I placed the buffs and each test came out saving 4 hours of time. Using the method where you use the buffs as they're available you end up getting an extra 1,746,275 EXP from the buffs, and using all buffs at 87-89 nets you an extra 19,855,200 EXP from the buffs. That might seem like a huge advantage, and it is at that level, but you've got to consider the fact that someone else who used all of their buffs earlier is getting to that content 4 hours sooner than you would be. Since zones are "gated" based on your level, getting to higher level faster means you're getting to the higher EXP yielding zones quicker. If you save yours, then you're playing catch-up in the end and it ends up being the same amount of time overall.

Here's the link to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...OM3ctN3c#gid=0

The first page is a few scenarios that I have demonstrated, but there are 5 "public" sheet tabs at the bottom of the page. You guys can edit the "Use Buff" column for your own testing, no sign-in required.

Disclaimer: This is "on-paper" math. In the real world things happen. You get killed, ganked, DC, have longer or shorter level times, etc. This sheet cannot account for that. This is a simple approach of "It's generally taken me this long to get to X level." My sheet doesn't account for specific travel times, but since overall it reflects how quickly I can get each 10 levels, travel time is lumped into to overall leveling process. If you plan on playing the midnight release, I strongly suggest that you at least get 2 buffs at level 20 so that you can use the daily when it resets for 9 hours of the buff. After that also suggest waiting until after level 40 where each zone would take at least 1 hour to complete, and if you plan on using the buff, use it at the beginning of a zone so that you won't be travelling between zones with the buff still on. Aside from that, I suggest using them where you think you will be in the best groove for the zone(s).
    Last edited by JRule; 2012-09-17 at 04:20 PM.

if you use it on low lvls you wil find your self running around switching zones and wasting the time of the hour
    if you use it on 60+ zones you win, at those lvls your doing thinks faster(killing, quests) without too much walking around and you also have flying mount so its the best, its realy doesnt matter if you use it on lvl 80 or 60 . acually it will be slightly better on 60-80 zones than pandaria , in the 85-90 zons mobs are harder than usual and you wont have flying mount
    personally i REALY hate outland and gonna save it for there, AND for twilight highlands my dream is to finish this place without the wedding quests ! (Alliance )
    Last edited by Dukim; 2012-09-17 at 08:02 PM.

For me (in Australia) the game comes out at 3pm. I'm going to do all my RaF stuff to get to level 81 and then go and do the level 20 quest AND the level 20 quest again as the daily for that day, to get a 2 hour buff. I'll then be doing as much as I can in Hyjal and tanking 1 run of Blackrock Caverns for the quests to get to 82. I'll then do Deepholm from 82-84 with 1 Stonecore run for the quests. Once I get to level 84 I will be moving to Twilight Highlands and if I have a willing friend I will do a duo run of Grim Batol for the quests, leaving all trash on low health but still alive from the drakes at the start. I will then do Crucible of Carnage with said friend and then finish off by getting 85 from the Quest line. I expect this to take around 3 hours.

From there I will begin Jade Forest and do all quests without any Quest Buffs until I get to the top of the temple in the starting hub (forgot the name) and I get a pile of quests involving finding some people and killing Sha thingies. I complete all the quests and then use Zen Pilgrimage and do the level 30 and 40 quests for a 2 hour buff. Once the buff runs out I will go back and get the 50 and 60 ones and when they run out I go and get the 70 and 80 ones. By time they run out it should have reached Daily Reset Time (1am local time) and I can get an extra hour of the buff, hopefully giving me enough to reach level 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    For me (in Australia) the game comes out at 3pm. I'm going to do all my RaF stuff to get to level 81 and then go and do the level 20 quest AND the level 20 quest again as the daily for that day, to get a 2 hour buff. I'll then be doing as much as I can in Hyjal and tanking 1 run of Blackrock Caverns for the quests to get to 82. I'll then do Deepholm from 82-84 with 1 Stonecore run for the quests. Once I get to level 84 I will be moving to Twilight Highlands and if I have a willing friend I will do a duo run of Grim Batol for the quests, leaving all trash on low health but still alive from the drakes at the start. I will then do Crucible of Carnage with said friend and then finish off by getting 85 from the Quest line. I expect this to take around 3 hours.

From there I will begin Jade Forest and do all quests without any Quest Buffs until I get to the top of the temple in the starting hub (forgot the name) and I get a pile of quests involving finding some people and killing Sha thingies. I complete all the quests and then use Zen Pilgrimage and do the level 30 and 40 quests for a 2 hour buff. Once the buff runs out I will go back and get the 50 and 60 ones and when they run out I go and get the 70 and 80 ones. By time they run out it should have reached Daily Reset Time (1am local time) and I can get an extra hour of the buff, hopefully giving me enough to reach level 90.
    NOTE: This is Horde, I have no idea about Alliance. I actually tested the Jade Forest part by doing basically the same thing, I used a daily to get the buff and about 45-50 minutes in I ran into a quest chain that it seems you have to do to move on to the next quest hub, but its only one quest after another with an NPC that loves to talk. So you might want to account for that, you might be faster, hopefully not slower, so within the first hour you will hit that bottleneck of quest experience. It took me 10-15 minutes (I didn't time it unfortunately) to get through the entire chain to get to the next Hub. It's the part right before you open up the Hozen quests. You may want to use 1 hour, get to the quest chain, queue up an instance for the last 10-20 minutes of your buff, come out, do the quest chain, then get another hour buff. I didn't level much farther than that but I don't remember any other bottlenecks like that from previous leveling.