Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

world exploration question

How large is the land area you can explore in this game? How long would it take a casual player to explore all the land?

I really enjoy exploration and PVP when it comes to MMOs. I have already read positive feedback on the pvp.

Each zone in very large, if you come from wow think of old Barrens but nearly every zone that size if not bigger.

Depends on what you mean by explore. If it's just uncovering the zone map and getting the 100% bonus-- an hour, maybe less.

If you mean finding all the secrets and little easter eggs... that might take a while.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-13 at 03:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't aware of the bonus. I just like a game that will keep me entertained. I solo most of the time since none of my RL buddys are gamers. I love the feeling of not knowing what is over that next hill, or on the other side of that treeline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Norvak View Post
    Wasn't aware of the bonus. I just like a game that will keep me entertained. I solo most of the time since none of my RL buddys are gamers. I love the feeling of not knowing what is over that next hill, or on the other side of that treeline.
    Then (trying not to sound like an arenanet employee) GW2 sounds like the game for you. Anet wants to make exploration feel rewarding with stuff like jumping puzzles,vista's and other little fun things. The world look amazing, and there's so much stuff to explore, it's unbelievable.

If you like just exploring the world, following your nose, then don't worry. You'll have more than you could hope for
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norvak View Post
    Aside from the experience you get for uncovering each POI on the map if you unlock everything on a specific map you get another chunk of XP and a stack of random loot. Its more there for those completionist type folks. Even with that each map normaly has quite a few hideyholes that are not anywhere near any particular map marker for folks like you that just want to explore and poke your nose into every nook and cranny.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Depends on what you mean by explore. If it's just uncovering the map and getting the 100% bonus-- an hour, maybe less.

If you mean finding all the secrets and little easter eggs... that might take a while.
    I don't see how anyone could uncover the map in an hour. There are 25 zones, here is an interactive map of what we know so far, that will give you an idea:

http://gw2cartographers.com/
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I don't see how anyone could uncover the map in an hour. There are 25 zones, here is an interactive map of what we know so far, that will give you an idea:

Well, I have uncovered maps in an hour or so. Maybe add an extra 30 mins for the annoying ones like Metrica or the Sylvari starter area. The others go by really fast. Snowden maybe is the fastest. 45~ mins, maybe. About an hour and a half for a 100% bonus in Snowden.

Deleted
    Well, I have uncovered maps in an hour or so. Maybe add an extra 30 mins for the annoying ones like Metrica or the Sylvari starter area. The others go by really fast. Snowden maybe is the fastest. 45~ mins, maybe. About an hour and a half for a 100% bonus in Snowden.
    You dont mean the same thing, you mean areas he means the entire map lol

Are not the zones called maps by the developers? I thought they were so I been using that term to mean zone...

Yh...pretty sure the OP meant the entire world lol.
    An hr for the world o.0 I was like........I know u have special powers Fencers..but that's pushing it

10+ Year Old Account

Can't wait for that water zone in ORR. I don't know why but I LOVE water in GW2
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Can't wait for that water zone in ORR. I don't know why but I LOVE water in GW2
    Heh, when they said submarines I was like

http://i.imgur.com/iqvc9.jpg

Please, no meme images. --Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-13 at 03:31 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Depends on what you mean by explore. If it's just uncovering the map and getting the 100% bonus-- an hour, maybe less.

an hour for the whole world? I doubt this, since some of the points of interest are a bit tricky to find.

Played a whole day (BWE3) in the sylvari starter area and haven't nearly seen half of it. I wasn't rushing through though, just playing and having fun. Saying that it just takes one hour to get 100% of the world map is really misleading.

@OP: just watch a few exploration videos on youtube

this video gives you an introduction to the red marked area. Scout "Watchman Rebec" gives people who need direction a few hints where you could start your journey. You still can go wherever you want. Personally I tried the option to hide all the markers on the map and had to find things like hearts and points of interest by myself. Was challenging but tons of fun.

Queensdale - Finding my bearings

Here the first 5 of 17 hearts in Queensdale (Watchman Rebec points me to those 5). Watch the clips to get a sense for the size of Queensdale.
    Queensdale - Assisting Farmer Eda
    Queensdale - Assisting Ranger Mepi
    Queensdale - Helping Foreman Flannum
    Queensdale - Helping Farmer Diah
    Queensdale - Helping Fihermen Travis & Justin

those 5 of the 17 hearts in Queensdale show you only a small portion of the whole zone:

!!

bear in mind that hearts aren't the main content in the game, those are only hotspots where some of the events of the map may happen. Dynamic Events have a couple of conditions when they spawn, so it's not rare to come by an area where event A happens and when you return some different event B or C takes place.

This is important, since it's more to do in areas you've already visited.

Watch the videos above and you'll get a sense of how big this zone really is. There are 25 zones in the game and a couple of really big cities.

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 03:54 PM ----------

@Fencers: oh you meant a single map... well by rushing through you could get this in one hour. Is this actually fun for you? Well some guys (and girls) like speedruns, can't argue with that.
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-08-13 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    an hour for the whole world?
    I did not interpret the OP meant the WHOLE WORLD, per se. I was using the term "map" as I heard the devs reffer to zones; map chat, map completion, et cetera.

Also read the whole thread, Maarius!

http://tinyurl.com/92npyyc

Deleted

1 hour for a zone would be exceedingly quick, for the whole world.....um....

Even just running to do hearts, poi, vistas, skill points, and way points and hour seams on the short side.

And thats not even touching jumping puzzles, hidden areas, dynamic events....

Read the entire thread. I meant zones. Map = zone. -_-

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Zone

An explorable zone, also simply referred to as a zone or a map, is a type of location. Zones encompass a number of smaller areas; multiple zones form a region.

I did not interpret the OP meant the WHOLE WORLD, per se. I was using the term "map" as I heard the devs reffer to zones; map chat, map completion, et cetera.

Also read the whole thread, Maarius!

http://tinyurl.com/92npyyc
    yeah, I noticed it after making my post which took me a while cause my girlfriend distracted me a bit , see my response on the bottom of my post above.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

Why are all the zones basically in the shapes of squares and rectangles? Kind of funny to me haha. I'm not complaining, just thought that that was interesting.
    Man, I've got bags under my eyes... BAGS OF MONEY!
    See ya later, peasants.

Praise The Sun!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to clarify I was talking about the whole world.

That interactive map is a great find! The world does look large indeed, plus I see there are many zones that they can expand upon. Thanks!