Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Other MMO companies could learn alot from Trion

That mage soul reveal last night was SO well done. Relaxed, funny, and a very informative chat with the devs. Companies like Blizzard really could learn alot from Trion about how to treat their customers...

The video was funny to me, because at times it bordered on completely unprofessional, and I don't mean that in a negative way either. Most game companies day-to-day stuff is carried on by gamers, so yeah, we expect to see people in casual wear doing their thing. To see your own private server go offline, someone step into the office to take the blame, and everyone continue to laugh, joke, and comment on it was just priceless.

It was also great to see people (including Hartsman) get away with holding up signs against the window.

I do think they could be more efficient with taking questions, having more to say (that one mage dev was a little too quiet and unenthusiastic for my tastes) and prepped for reveals, but overall, it was a good stream.

The Trion staff are just kind of down to earth people. They joke and chit chat with players in-game with the same type of candor and casual speech. Like all the time.

Hell, even Scott Hartsman stopped by the Rift sub forum here at MMO-C to make a few jokes. Someone asked him to prove he was the real Scott and sent out a twitter just to the MMO-C sub forum.

So yea. Trion are just earnest like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnzhandofadal View Post
    That mage soul reveal last night was SO well done. Relaxed, funny, and a very informative chat with the devs. Companies like Blizzard really could learn alot from Trion about how to treat their customers...
    Did any of you notice just how many people were watching that stream?

EDIT: bah. just checked again. seems to be incorrect - seems to be total peeps watching mmorpg.
    Last edited by kondura; 2012-08-11 at 02:07 PM.

Deleted
    The way they handled the whole Maelforge world first thing was superb as well. No heavy handed bans - just take away the world first credit. Are you listening Blizzard?

I just love how much they seem to care about competitive raiding as well, the fact that they have their own records for which guilds get world firsts and stuff is awesome - no need to rely on third party sites like wowprogress.

Just think Trion's ethos and the way they're designing Rift is so much more in line with what I want from an MMO now than what Blizzard are doing with WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The Trion staff are just kind of down to earth people. They joke and chit chat with players in-game with the same type of candor and casual speech. Like all the time.

Hell, even Scott Hartsman stopped by the Rift sub forum here at MMO-C to make a few jokes. Someone asked him to prove he was the real Scott and sent out a twitter just to the MMO-C sub forum.

yeah, scott is awesome, unlike ghostcrawler, who brags about his yacht while he simultaneously destroys the game you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    I do think they could be more efficient with taking questions, having more to say (that one mage dev was a little too quiet and unenthusiastic for my tastes) and prepped for reveals, but overall, it was a good stream.
    The questions that Dahanese always takes are the insignificant, blatantly obvious ones. Things like 'will there be a Collector's Edition?' or 'will there be cooldowns?'
    I mean seriously....

Especially when there are a good number of people asking highly intelligent questions which are highly relevant.
    I was pretty annoyed, as was everyone else I spoke to afterward that questions like 'What is being done to lessen Mage's reliance upon Spark' or 'How has the functionality of Archon been changed to improve its viability in PvP and 5man content?' or even something on topic like 'what was the rationale behind choosing melee dps, why was the decision made to not release a tanking soul?' were not answered/ignored.

That's the first time Kervik (the Mage dev) has appeared in a video or stream to my knowledge. Typically devs are hired for their skills, not camera personality so I think he did fine. From my interactions with him he's a pretty smart guy and really knows his stuff, I would not hesitate to say he is the best class dev in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    The questions that Dahanese always takes are the insignificant, blatantly obvious ones. Things like 'will there be a Collector's Edition?' or 'will there be cooldowns?'
    I mean seriously....

Especially when there are a good number of people asking highly intelligent questions which are highly relevant.
    I was pretty annoyed, as was everyone else I spoke to afterward that questions like 'What is being done to lessen Mage's reliance upon Spark' or 'How has the functionality of Archon been changed to improve its viability in PvP and 5man content?' or even something on topic like 'what was the rationale behind choosing melee dps, why was the decision made to not release a tanking soul?' were not answered/ignored.

That's the first time Kervik (the Mage dev) has appeared in a video or stream to my knowledge. Typically devs are hired for their skills, not camera personality so I think he did fine. From my interactions with him he's a pretty smart guy and really knows his stuff, I would not hesitate to say he is the best class dev in the game.
    The thing about Dahanese that bothers me is during one of the live feeds on Conquest, she appeared to now even know how to play Conquest. She was standing with a group that was waiting for an extractor to cap, and she thought everyone was standing around waiting for her to lead them. Then she runs off in a direction that would do no good, just to realize everyone was running off in the opposite direction. She even admitted she did not set up her own macros when someone pointed out to her(yeah, she didn't notice) one wasn't working right. Of course she is not going to answer game related questions when she doesn't know. There are other people for that. She will answer in the areas she does know, like Collector's Edition questions and things.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

thats what I get for calling him out.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by kondura View Post
    Did any of you notice just how many people were watching that stream?

EDIT: bah. just checked again. seems to be incorrect - seems to be total peeps watching mmorpg.
    I believe it was around 4-5k when the stream started. There were a huge number of people watching.

---------- Post added 2012-08-13 at 03:56 PM ----------

Woah.. what? When did hartsman get on the MMO champ forums? What did he say?!!?
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    Woah.. what? When did hartsman get on the MMO champ forums? What did he say?!!?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=43516055

^ there ya go. Yea, I believe the Trion guys are genuinely hard working, passionate and earnest. Shines through in just about every way.

10+ Year Old Account

^ there ya go. Yea, I believe the Trion guys are genuinely hard working, passionate and earnest. Shines through in just about every way.

sorry for the off-topic post. But did you recently become a mod. I just don't remember your name being green before.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." When I click the link. What did you search?
    The Art of War- FT 4/4 EE 4/5
    R80

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    sorry for the off-topic post. But did you recently become a mod. I just don't remember your name being green before.
    Yea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajadog20 View Post
    "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." When I click the link. What did you search?
    Just search E3 Scott Hartsman interview. It's the one thread where Pokket [vomit] interview Scott.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t=e3+interview

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say that all this praise I've been reading about Trion/Rift, combined with the current state of WoW, has caused me to cancel my WoW sub and pick up Rift as my main MMO.

I'm excited to do so and I hope there's plenty of information here to guide me. I also agree that other MMO companies can learn a lot from Trion and that's awesome that a staff member showed up here and was active with the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

Trying to recover my password as i forgot it.

Been 2 hours now

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

ZOMG!!! Where?!

But yeah, more OT: this is seriously why I've just fallen in love with Trion. They are so chill in regards to just about everything. You call them up? Their customer service is phenomenal! Open up a GM ticket? They usually get back to you very quickly and will fix your issue no problem. I'm just ashamed of myself for not trying out Rift earlier on.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    ZOMG!!! Where?!

But yeah, more OT: this is seriously why I've just fallen in love with Trion. They are so chill in regards to just about everything. You call them up? Their customer service is phenomenal! Open up a GM ticket? They usually get back to you very quickly and will fix your issue no problem. I'm just ashamed of myself for not trying out Rift earlier on.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Scott-Hartsman

http://twitter.com/hartsman/status/212930908347580416

It wasn't fair I got called the lone skeptic

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    lol awwwww but that's freakin awesome!!! I can't believe I missed that thread!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolawl View Post
    I have to say that all this praise I've been reading about Trion/Rift, combined with the current state of WoW, has caused me to cancel my WoW sub and pick up Rift as my main MMO.

I'm excited to do so and I hope there's plenty of information here to guide me. I also agree that other MMO companies can learn a lot from Trion and that's awesome that a staff member showed up here and was active with the community.
    If you roll a toon on Wolfsbane let me know. Your first mount is on me, PST to Ofoz or Cloret.