Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Trion strip No Quarter of Maelforge World First

Seems no game is safe from people willing to push any edge they feel they can get over other Guilds

For weeks there's been whispers and rumours of Guilds pulling huge numbers on Laethys and Maelforge, well Trion acted on this, went through their logs and here's the Official word:

Maelforge World First

Hey guys,

Over the past few days, there has been a lot of discussion on the official RIFT forums and other active raiding communities about a possible exploit that allowed raiders to overpower the mechanics in the Laethys and Maelforge encounters.

While we can't turn back the clock and fully rewind what happened several weeks ago, I'm here today to clear the air and let you know what's been going on here in the studio about this issue.

First: We are certain that there were exploits in 1.8.

About two months ago, the team was alerted to an exploit that could be used to gain more power than what should be possible. We spent a lot of effort investigating and reproducing it and we fixed what we found. While we did address the primary issue as rapidly as we could, we weren’t aware of the full severity of the situation as it pertained to finishing the Maelforge encounter.

One of the side effects of the bug was a world first granted to a very small number of players who chose to abuse it. In short: those achievements were not legitimate.

I don't think it's necessary for me to tell you that it sucks when something is won unfairly. These kinds of situations undermine the hard work and camaraderie that is the backbone of the RIFT community.

Second: I want to thank everyone who stepped forward and helped us identify and address these problems. Whether you are posting on the forums or reporting a bug in game, your participation is essential to ensuring that RIFT continues to be awesome and that our team knows what's going on: you are our front lines for information about the good and the bad in the game. Please don't stop reporting issues as you come across them, and please never hesitate to reach out to any of us with a question, concern (or maybe, sometimes, a compliment!) Without you, we wouldn't be here.

Finally, I want to highlight the guild Special Olympics on our EU shard Blightweald. This crew took on Maelforge and were the first in the world with a legitimate victory. If you want to check out the fight in its entirety (and all its glory) you can find it here on their YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyWRMLsPlRA We are also in the process of correcting our logs so that Special Olympics receives recognition as the first guild to triumph in this encounter and will be taking away the world first designation from the group who previously held the title but earned it through an exploit (these changes will go into effect next week.)

The internet can be a rough place sometimes and the raid game can be fiercely competitive. We want to make RIFT the best raiding experience possible for everyone, be it a guild vying for a world first or a guild who sets foot into Infernal Dawn for the first time. Without your dedication, we would never have uncovered everything, and more importantly, wouldn't have been able to set the record straight and give you the full story.

From all of us, thanks for your honesty and persistence. Please, never stop talking, and we'll never stop listening.

-e.
    So gratz to Special Olympics who are crowned World First on Maelforge

Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...rld-first.html

Congratz to them, and I am very glad to see Trion taking the initiative to punish exploiters and taking action.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Deleted
    Ohh my...that's big, but kudos to Trion for having the gutts after all this time and fix things str8.

From what i ve seen, both HK and ID were (are) amazing raids. Having that in mind, i would prefer a slower release if that means raids being with as less bugs or unintented mechanics as possible next time.

grats to SO for world first.

and grats next week to NQ for world 10th+
    Experience is the best teacher.. if you can afford the tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamos View Post
    Ohh my...that's big, but kudos to Trion for having the gutts after all this time and fix things str8.

From what i ve seen, both HK and ID were (are) amazing raids. Having that in mind, i would prefer a slower release if that means raids being with as less bugs or unintented mechanics as possible next time.
    Huge problem with Trion is they simply do not get this. Mist of Pandaria has been in testing since like January and won't be dropped until September?? while Trion is probably going to push out Storm Legion in like November???December?? and not a word about beta testing in mass.

Their arrogance is pretty annoying I can promise you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Huge problem with Trion is they simply do not get this. Mist of Pandaria has been in testing since like January and won't be dropped until September?? while Trion is probably going to push out Storm Legion in like November???December?? and not a word about beta testing in mass.

OH REALLY NOW?! Blizz puts their content patches on the PTR for months at a time and Trion has a FAR shorter public testing cycle, yet their patches are no worse in quality than Blizzards.

Or are you still upset at the mount and coming into the forums to vent some of that anger?

Deleted

It is not arrogance m8, but they clearly have to understand the mentality of combetitive raiding, since it is fueling the entire raiding scene, and top guilds doing things out of the ordinary are inspiring the rest of us.

The raids are superb visualy and the encounters themselves (again video experience only), look great.
    The problem is the bugs on release.

For example, i went to forums and i lost it listening for exploit in 3 dofferent bosses in that instance.
    One top guild were acusing other for a different kill.
    And from what i understood Maelforge got buffed the week after the first(legit) kill by Special Olympics?
    What Top 2 guilds in this game kill the final boss to understand that it is exploitable AND easier than intented?

Blizz is doing extensive beta testing on their encounters but come on, they re not beta testing raids since last december!
    They started with 10 back at june and now they re focusing on 25 for the last 2 weeks with the expansion anounced for 25th of September.
    And again, it is an expansion, which means that additional to raid mechanics beta testing they re also beta testing character abilities!

When you release a tier mid expansion your classes/roles are pretty much complete, meaning that you focus entirely on the raid encounter. From that aspect ID does not need the testing that MoP raids do. Still, it was very limited.

And although i am excited about the new expansion, seeing the master reset as a great oportunity to play the game more seriously, at the same moment the fact that they talked for Q4 release with so few things unveiled, makes me worry.

In any case, i am sure about Trion having the best of intensions, and i know that they re working like crazy 24/7 to launch/improve new content for us.
    There is no comparison with WoW atm, the gaps between content are huge, and the new LFR feature there was open as well to a huge exploit that costed ban to several of the top guilds including top 2 guilds in the world.

Also the direction both companies are having. As i said in previous post, i apreciate that Trion is staying true to the MMO RPG genre, vs trying to expand game with sidegames that have no place in an epic fantasy world.

It is important to understand that 100% perfection when a new raid goes live is impossible, but also very important to take 1 or 2 more weeks if needed to test it more and see what pops up.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

It's pretty easy to flip this statement around by saying Blizzard takes far too long with their content compared to Trion, even though the quality isn't really higher.

Indeed, one could say Blizzard are the arrogant ones, thinking people are going to stick around forever with their insanely slow releases.
    (Yes, I realize that people are, in fact, sticking around despite that)

MOP has been in beta for way too long, people who have been playing MOP beta for the past 6 months are going to be asking for new content in October because they are already bored.

The raids are superb visualy and the encounters themselves (again video experience only), look great.
    Which get fixed VERY quickly. Apart from rare bugs that they can't reproduce easily.

And although i am excited about the new expansion, seeing the master reset as a great oportunity to play the game more seriously, at the same moment the fact that they talked for Q4 release with so few things unveiled, makes me worry.
    I think Trion are doing the right thing, holding features back to be announced at a later date. For which I applaud them, nothing worse than knowing about an expansion and all it's features for almost a year and having to wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    It's pretty easy to flip this statement around by saying Blizzard takes far too long with their content compared to Trion, even though the quality isn't really higher.

Indeed, one could say Blizzard are the arrogant ones, thinking people are going to stick around forever with their insanely slow releases.
    (Yes, I realize that people are, in fact, sticking around despite that)
    Well that is obvious with a million subs lost. The point still remains that BETA testing on this content needs to start literally tomorrow. I know they do not want to ruin the content for everyone, but they are known for dropping buggy content sometimes.

Two fulls continents and how many new 5 mans + raids and not a damn thing has been publicly tested? This sounds like one of the biggest buggiest thing that will ever be released. It is like releasing a brand new game with that much content. I think we all remember the Rift BETA patch notes that went on for like 10 pages lol

Deleted
    Well that is obvious with a million subs lost. The point still remains that BETA testing on this content needs to start literally tomorrow. I know they do not want to ruin the content for everyone, but they are known for dropping buggy content sometimes.

Two fulls continents and how many new 5 mans + raids and not a damn thing has been publicly tested? This sounds like one of the biggest buggiest thing that will ever be released. It is like releasing a brand new game with that much content. I think we all remember the Rift BETA patch notes that went on for like 10 pages lol
    You just read like someone that thinks the only way is Blizzards way. They do all the testing via beta and still release crap almost every time they patch something different is broke. Take the blinkers off.

Quote Originally Posted by svenforkbeard View Post
    You just read like someone that thinks the only way is Blizzards way. They do all the testing via beta and still release crap almost every time they patch something different is broke. Take the blinkers off.
    No this reads like someone who remembers each clusterfuck that happened in the first year of the game when mistakes that should have been caught were not due to piss poor testing. It is clearly obvious that the mmo community needs to put more pressure on devs to open up testing more.

Funny thing about testing. It requires real people showing up.

Aye, that PTR testing on Blackhorn and Madness certainly stopped bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Funny thing about testing. It requires real people showing up.
    Even when they do, that's no guarantee that things will be hunky dory; exploits or developer inconsistencies have in many cases undermined the race to world first. (I enclose, for the sake of posterity, this post from Muqq when Blizzard banned Ensidia for the original LK 10 man world first http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/350...bannedandi.png - His rage in the end is just interesting to read.)

That having been said, thousands tested LFR and we still had several guilds banned in the race to DW heroic due to the loot exploit.

(I don't mean to single out wow, but these examples are off the top of my head)

I agree with Pure to a certain degree that devs should be made more responsible, but frankly speaking, I don't see a realistic scenario where bugs/exploits can be removed from the MMO genre, irrespective of the duration of testing and how many people are involved. I think that as long as the developers address these issues in a responsible and professional manner, I'm fine with the outcome.

I agree with Pure to a certain degree that devs should be made more responsible, but frankly speaking, I don't see a realistic scenario where bugs/exploits can be removed from the MMO genre, irrespective of the duration of testing and how many people are involved. I think that as long as the developers address these issues in a responsible and professional manner, I'm fine with the outcome.
    This is the gist of it.

Doubtful anyone would be in favor of less testing. But there is a threshold of realism to this business thing.

Deleted
    Inb4 they rage quit with a message blaming Trion, like that WoW guild that cried over getting bans for the LFR exploit (was Paragon/Ensidia or something).

Quote Originally Posted by Throrik View Post
    Aye, that PTR testing on Blackhorn and Madness certainly stopped bugs.
    Zing!

I don't doubt that we'll have a couple of months worth of PTR time for Storm Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
    MOP has been in beta for way too long, people who have been playing MOP beta for the past 6 months are going to be asking for new content in October because they are already bored.
    Don't know why more people aren't seeing this coming. All the die-hard content hungry WoW fans are probably playing MoP beta.

You honestly think Blizzard is going to release more content at a more rapid pace? Why should we believe them? They explicitly promised smaller patches, faster content for Cata and it never happened? Did they give any reason for lying?

What I'd like to know is how the hell the Rift team release so much quality content every 2 months and Blizzard gives what... 3 patches in a friggin' whole expansion??? Trion releases almost double the content that Blizz do in one patch. Look at the ember isle patch as an example. Almost every patch includes some huge change like a battleground, new dungeon, new raid, new world event.

After seeing what's ahead for Rift vs WoW, my time will be spent on Rift. WoW may hold the numbers, but Rift still has the most content, most features, better raids and more bang for your buck.