Page 1 of 3
LastLast

World List at Launch Discussion

Hopefully Sea of Sorrows will remain the unofficial Aussie server...was hoping for at least some cordoned off Oceanic servers even if the servers themselves are not based in Australia/closer nearby.

Oh well.
    Main: Vargox (Charr Engineer)
    Guild: Asinium - ASN is always recruiting! Launch day guild will be made and invites will be sent out and recruiting will commence on release.
    We are primarily an Aussie guild but are always recruiting anyone! Send me a message in game for an invite.
    Server: Sea of Sorrows (US)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat-Lad View Post
    Hopefully Sea of Sorrows will remain the unofficial Aussie server...was hoping for at least some cordoned off Oceanic servers even if the servers themselves are not based in Australia/closer nearby.

Oh well.
    not only for you but i would like to see a list before that time. So i know i can avoid the dutch

10+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting to see that there really aren't that many servers for the US. Which is good since it'll bring server communities more tight-knit. I wonder how this will affect WvW matches though, will we be able to go up against EU servers?

Well there's 45 servers total, 24 of which are EU designated and 21 US. With the time differences between US and EU I wouldn't think they will have WvWvW between them, at least to start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat-Lad View Post

Oh well.
    Having it Oceanic only would be suicide in WvW when up against 2 US servers.
    It's better to have a spread out playerbase to keep up the pressure 24 hours a day (including while they sleep ).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endgame619 View Post
    Well there's 45 servers total, 24 of which are EU designated and 21 US. With the time differences between US and EU I wouldn't think they will have WvWvW between them, at least to start.
    I'm 90% sure WvWvW is always going to NA vs NA worlds and EU vs Eu Worlds, latency to the UE data centre would be insane. If demand is there more NA servers will be added anyway, fact is GW2 is most popular in EU hence more servers for them. For now at least. Anet also has the capacity to increase/decrease server caps on the fly. Nothing to worry about anyway

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    I'm 90% sure WvWvW is always going to NA vs NA worlds and EU vs Eu Worlds
    IMO, there's a reason both regions have servers in multiples of 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    IMO, there's a reason both regions have servers in multiples of 3
    Yep exactly my thought. Which also brings up the thought that when adding servers(if deemed necessary) they'll have to do it in 3's

server transfers are free but with a cooldown... do I have that right?
    Nelf Druid. Tank/Melee/Feral PVP. Dreadmaul

Quote Originally Posted by bashastick View Post
    Server transfers cost gems, which you can purchase from other players via gold, or you can buy them yourself from the Gem Store for cash.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by bashastick View Post
    Also you can play on other servers, called "guesting" I believe in case you have friends on other servers. home server's main importance from everything I've read/heard is WvWvW. And as far as I can remember transferring does have a cooldown of some sort so people aren't transferring all the time to take advantage of whatever server is winning WvW at the time.

edit: went and found a link for ya http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World
    Last edited by endgame619; 2012-08-15 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by endgame619 View Post
    Also you can play on other servers, called "guesting" I believe in case you have friends on other servers. home server's main importance from everything I've read/heard is WvWvW. And as far as I can remember transferring does have a cooldown of some sort so people aren't transferring all the time to take advantage of whatever server is winning WvW at the time.
    There's a cooldown of a week or two before you get the PvE buffs that your server succeeding in WvWvW actually gives you.

But the cooldown for permanent server transfer? How fast can you fork over more gems.

Glad to see a sane number of servers. With WvW being dependent on a few hundred people on each server being online, it would have been a massive mistake to pull another SWTOR and have too many servers. Even if this results in queues at launch, it will pan out much better in a few weeks when people are no longer taking off work to play 8+ hours a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by subrosian View Post
    Glad to see a sane number of servers. With WvW being dependent on a few hundred people on each server being online, it would have been a massive mistake to pull another SWTOR and have too many servers. Even if this results in queues at launch, it will pan out much better in a few weeks when people are no longer taking off work to play 8+ hours a day.

Queues? What is this blasphemy? GW2 does not have Queues, we have overflow servers :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Queues? What is this blasphemy? GW2 does not have Queues, we have overflow servers :P
    WvW has queues to get in if the map is full.

Deleted
    Server transfers cost gems, which you can purchase from other players via gold, or you can buy them yourself from the Gem Store for cash.
    saw somewhere they will maby make transfers from over populated server to low servers free - only when they mark this servers

Quote Originally Posted by Inora View Post
    saw somewhere they will maby make transfers from over populated server to low servers free - only when they mark this servers
    Cheaper. Something like 500 gems to a low population server, 1000 to a mid, and 2000 for a high population server.

Cheaper, not free.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07...ike-zadorojny/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Zadorojny
    First of all, players will be able to move servers at will for a while after release so that they can play with their friends. Since the game is launching with the ability to switch servers, it should come as no surprise that, in the event that ANet needs to open new servers, players will immediately be able to transfer servers (for free if you're coming from select crowded realms).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    WvW has queues to get in if the map is full.

Yes indeed, however the OP was referring to logging in