Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

[Anime] Is Tobi Obito?

With the recent manga issue, tobi says he got his eye at the same bridge that Obito got crushed and where kakashi got his sharingan.

http://www.mangahit.com/naruto/597/12

What do you guys think? Is Tobi Obito?

Also look at the names, They have the same letters but Obito has 1 extra O.

Obito thought of himself as weak and 'the black sheep of the Uchiha.' That might be why he didn't return to the village if he survived.

Also, maybe his eye is all that survived of his right side. Maybe his right side is Zetsu. It shows in the Manga that his right arm is detachable when he was fighting Fu and his arm became infected.

I think it is highly likely

EDIT: Also would explain why Tobi and Kakashi's eye jutsu use the same dimension
    Last edited by glorithan; 2012-08-15 at 06:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    nope, look back in the anime or manga, you'd already know, and a lot of fans seem to completely forget, is that Tobi has a huge laboratory with hundreds of Sharingan eyes in jars, Obito's ability just happens to be extremely convenient for him to use.
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Obito would have been nothing but a whelp (re: kid) when Tobi attacked Konoha and fought the Fourth all those years ago. Highly unlikely I say. If anything he just salvaged Obito's other eye, somehow. I'd have thought it quite crushed under all that rubble, but Tobi has demonstrated aptitude at traveling through land with Earth techniques.

I should probably read the chapter first, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

If that is the case, he and Kakashi would be the about the same age. However it has been shown through flashbacks and such that Tobi is A LOT older.

He may have just scavenged Obito's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    nope, look back in the anime or manga, you'd already know, and a lot of fans seem to completely forget, is that Tobi has a huge laboratory with hundreds of Sharingan eyes in jars, Obito's ability just happens to be extremely convenient for him to use.
    He would have ot have Obitos eye to use the same dimension for the space/time jutsu wouldn't he. Thats how the Kunai hit Tobi's mask and how the rasengan hit his shoulder.

Maybe you are right Doc, maybe its just Obito's right eye. But tobi must have been there when Obito was crushed. Maybe he caused it?
    Last edited by glorithan; 2012-08-15 at 06:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glorithan View Post
    He would have ot have Obitos eye to use the same dimension for the space/time jutsu wouldn't he. Thats how the Kunai hit Tobi's mask and how the rasengan hit his shoulder.

Maybe you are right Doc, maybe its just Obito's right eye. But tobi must have been there when Obito was crushed. Maybe he caused it?
    Kakashi Gaiden shows pretty clearly it was a trap technique that caused the cave in, if I recall properly. Tobi does have a large supply of Sharingan. It's not out of the ordinary to think that he snagged Obito's. It is curious, however, that he can use (I presume) Kamui without activating the Mangekyo form and is so much more proficient with it than Kakashi.

He seems to value that eye above his other, pre-Rinnegan. During Konan's giant waterfall of BOOM attack he made it a point to break his mask to sacrifice the other eye. Without his Kamui his battle prowess seems to drop quite a bit, given what we've seen of his combat style so far.

Frankly my money is on Madara's brother, Izuna. He fits the age, the bloodline, the skill level, he has the motive, and Tobi is known to be a liar. I don't think it's unlikely the tales of Izuna's death were fabricated or exaggerated.
    Last edited by RaoBurning; 2012-08-15 at 06:32 AM.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    Kakashi Gaiden shows pretty clearly it was a trap technique that caused the cave in, if I recall properly. Tobi does have a large supply of Sharingan. It's not out of the ordinary to think that he snagged Obito's. It is curious, however, that he can use (I presume) Kamui without activating the Mangekyo form and is so much more proficient with it than Kakashi.

He seems to value that eye above his other, pre-Rinnegan. During Konan's giant waterfall of BOOM attack he made it a point to break his mask to sacrifice the other eye. Without his Kamui his battle prowess seems to drop quite a bit, given what we've seen of his combat style so far.
    Forgive my terrible spelling as I am currently on my phone typing these. I regret not reading the Manga with the cave in story. I do recall now that Tobi shows he was much older than Kakashi so he cant be Obito., but it has a high possibility of being Obito's eye.

If Tobi is indeed Uchiha as he claimed to Sasuke, then that can explain how he was able to progress Kamui farther then Kakashi.

Also The nine tales claims it was Madara Uchiha that controlled him many years ago and we all know it was really Tobi. Then later when Sasuke confronted the nine tails inside Naruto, he claimed Sasuke had the same chakra as the man who controlled him IIRC.

So Tobi is not OBito, but he would have to be Uchiha right?

15+ Year Old Account
    look at the bottom of this page,

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/naruto/v60/c596/9.html

in every translation i've seen the name is exactly the same, Kaenjin Uchiha

so maybe it's not anyone we know about, who knows
    Last edited by Baygon; 2012-08-15 at 06:41 AM.
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Tobi is indeed Uchiha as he claimed to Sasuke, then that can explain how he was able to progress Kamui farther then Kakashi.
    Makes beautiful sense. Shame I didn't think of it.

Also The nine tales claims it was Madara Uchiha that controlled him many years ago and we all know it was really Tobi. Then later when Sasuke confronted the nine tails inside Naruto, he claimed Sasuke had the same chakra as the man who controlled him IIRC.
    The Nine-Tails was definitively controlled by Madara during his fight with the First Hokage, which I think is what the Nine-Tails was talking about. I don't think Mr. Fox had much chance to check out who was in control once he was released during the Attack on Konoha, a la Naruto's birthday.

So Tobi is not OBito, but he would have to be Uchiha right?
    There would have to be some serious plot armor bullshit happening to make Obito into Tobi, but I do believe he's an Uchiha. Izuna Uchiha is my current best guess, as above.

I agree with the poster above me I believe their is really only one uchiha who can be Tobi and that is Izuna even Madara knows who Tobi and it would make sense why tobi also has tons of Sharingan in his secret laboratory if he finds a stronger eye he will keep switching eyes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baygon View Post
    look at the bottom of this page,

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/naruto/v60/c596/9.html

in every translation i've seen the name is exactly the same, Kaenjin Uchiha

so maybe it's not anyone we know about, who knows
    Uchiha Kaen Jin is the barrier technique Tobi used to shield the Demon Statue thingie, a la here. Check the Romanji in the data box.

15+ Year Old Account
    well whoops oh well, back to guessing who it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    There would have to be some serious plot armor bullshit happening to make Obito into Tobi, but I do believe he's an Uchiha. Izuna Uchiha is my current best guess, as above.
    You are probably right about the nine tails not having a chance to know who it was at Naruto's birth, but maybe the nine tails could feel Tobi was manipulating the whole thing from inside Kushina. Wouldn't the Nine Tails be able to tell recognize the chakra, (if he could sense through Kushina), like he recognized Sasuke's chakra being related to Madara's?

And I dont think it can really be Izuna because according, http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Izuna_Uchiha, "Izuna later died honourably in battle, fighting to the death even in his blind state." So unless Tobi is also Edo Tensei or some other brought back individual. I really do not think he is possible.

Well there is one uchiha that we don't know the fate of but he was probably killed during Itachi's massacre is Kagami Uchiha he has black spiky hair and was partners with the Third hokage and Danzou during the first shinobi war. But I don't think they would use a random uchiha that was in one chapter.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are probably right about the nine tails not having a chance to know who it was at Naruto's birth, but maybe the nine tails could feel Tobi was manipulating the whole thing from inside Kushina. Wouldn't the Nine Tails be able to tell recognize the chakra, (if he could sense through Kushina), like he recognized Sasuke's chakra being related to Madara's?
    Perfectly conceivable that Kurama (I'm tired of saying "the nine-tails". I know his name! Rawr) could sense the nature of Tobi's chakra from inside Kushina. He commented that Sasuke's chakra was as foul (more foul? I don't recall) than Madara's. Kinda like one flavor being saltier than another, if I had to guess.

And I dont think it can really be Izuna because according, http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Izuna_Uchiha, "Izuna later died honourably in battle, fighting to the death even in his blind state." So unless Tobi is also Edo Tensei or some other brought back individual. I really do not think he is possible.
    True, that's the current understanding of Izuna's death. However, that story came from Tobi, I think, who has already lied about his identity at least once. He's a master manipulator and a pretty good actor. As far as I can recall the only character to see his face unmasked is Kisame, and he's certainly not telling what he knows. Also, his reaction to seeing Madara's Edo Tensei coffin seemed a little more intense, for lack of a better word, than one would expect if it were merely a "well I certainly don't want to fight that," reaction.

If nothing else, I think introducing a brand new character to explain away the core villain would be a prime example of poor story telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Susanoo View Post
    Well there is one uchiha that we don't know the fate of but he was probably killed during Itachi's massacre is Kagami Uchiha he has black spiky hair and was partners with the Third hokage and Danzou during the first shinobi war. But I don't think they would use a random uchiha that was in one chapter.
    I believe you are talking about http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kagami_Uchiha. He is a slim possiblity, but like you said. I doubt they will use someone who was in 1 chapter as one of the main antagonists. Although he is the only one that we know of that could still be alive. Albeit, he would be extremely hold. Same age as Sarutobi since they were in the same team, give or take a few years.

Judging from this picture, http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FLiLzPQTZ1...f_his_mask.JPG, he could very well be that age too.

I totally forgot it was Tobi who explained the Izuna thing. Then for all we know it could be Izuna. And I agree, I hope they don't introduce some random person. What was the point of the mask if its someone we don't know, right?
    Last edited by glorithan; 2012-08-15 at 07:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I totally forgot it was Tobi who explained the Izuna thing. Then for all we know it could be Izuna. And I agree, I hope they don't introduce some random person. What was the point of the mask if its someone we don't know, right?
    From a literary standpoint I'd also consider never revealing Tobi's identity acceptable. He claimed to be nobody, and that his identity wasn't important, so it would be poetic to allow him to remain an unknown. The man who nearly brought the world to its knees, and history only remembers him as a semi-anonymous man. It would be infuriating if that happened, but poetic. Fan debates would rage for years and lead to combing old chapters for every tiny detail possible.

If it's a random schmuck or an errant Wood Clone from Hashirama I'm going to be ever so pissed.

Judging from this picture, http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FLiLzPQTZ1...f_his_mask.JPG, he could very well be that age too.
    If it really is Izuna he would be hella old. Many wrinkles, handle it! The Third was maybe in his late 20s during his mission with the Second Hokage when he was chosen as the successor, and he was starting to sport some of those old-man skin spots. The best estimates I can find for Konoha's age are about 100 years from founding to present, which pegs Izuna at ~125-130 years old. All based on estimates and guesswork, sadly, but an old man he (would) be regardless.

I believe you are talking about http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kagami_Uchiha. He is a slim possiblity, but like you said. I doubt they will use someone who was in 1 chapter as one of the main antagonists. Although he is the only one that we know of that could still be alive. Albeit, he would be extremely hold. Same age as Sarutobi since they were in the same team, give or take a few years.

Yeah i would be really let down if it was someone random they should of atleast introduced his character but also Tobi could be a zetzu clone because he bleeds white stuff which seems really suspicious to me. He could be a izuna zetzu clone.

Off topic but does anyone know when naruto 598 is coming out usually today is the release date for my website but it wasnt uploaded

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm gonna say no. I really, really doubt it'd be Obito. I'm still betting on him being Izuna, as predictable as it may be.

Tobi shares Madara's grudge, he despises Hashirama as much as Madara does. He had to get someone else's Sharingan (indicating he "lost" his own), he corrected Sasuke when he said he heard that Madara took Izuna's eyes by force. The fact that he can maintain his Sharingan up 24/7 indicates that he has Uchiha DNA. I dunno, really, but it really seems to me like Izuna's a very strong candidate.

There's the problem that Izuna is supposed to be dead - but it could either be a lie, or an oversight on Madara's part.

Edit: Ah, it seems hksin11186 already mentioned this as well
    Last edited by Adramalech; 2012-08-15 at 11:17 PM.

i absolutely hate this theory with how horrible it is......