Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazrs View Post
    Hi. First: I am NOT that knowledgeable about politics, and especially about american politics. I do not wish to upset anyone with this post and im neither pro-democrat or republican, because i know so little about them. I come from Scandinavia, and there is something i have been wondering about for a long time.

So basically in the US you have 2 big parties: Republicans and Democrats, rightwing and leftwing. But there seems to be SO much of a difference between theese parties in...everything. I can also use some examples from my homecountry and compare it to the US: If a politician here would even mention not being pro abortion, or even being uncomfortable with the fact that abortion is legal, they would be shredded to pieces by the media and the other parties - it's just out of this world. Same with everyone being able to buy guns almost "at will", or healthcare not being free.

And in the US it seems like theese topics are not "taboo" at all? It just facinates me. Also i've noticed alot of people on the internet saying Obama is "communist" and whatnot; I mean seriously theese people should come here then! With a RIGHT-WING, yes RIGHT-WING government, the taxrate is roughly 30% minimum, if you have an average salary, and it gradually increases to about 55-60% if you earn about 15.000 USD/month. I read that Mitt Romney would pay like 10% in taxes if the republicans won, and he is super-rich.

Okay now that i read my post i realize it is kind of hostile to republicans: rest assured i did not intend it to be.

But basically my question is: Am i wrong in my information/assumptions or is American politics really so different?

Thanks.
    There were some good answers already. I try to give my opinion as a resident alien of the USA. As German, my own political preference would be center left, with a little green flavor in it. That would put me into the Dems corner in the USA, one could think, but it is not the case.

Both parties to me are too center right. My impression here is, that even tho in Germany party members also follow the codex sticking to the goals of the party they belong to, and usually always vote in that favor. But I know that German parties do throw out their own lower intentions when the country is in dire need.
    The USA for example is in such need right now, a recession, borderline depression, yet the two parties are busy fighting each other toe to nail. I lived through similar times in Germany where the parties got together and said "screw this, none of us can fix this alone, we working together now, and created what we call in Germany a "great coalition". That's what the USA would need too. Both sides have awesome people in their ranks. Both sides have the capacity to fix whats wrong, together.
    But both sides are rather busy to gain the sunny spot and slamming, and hurting each other where they can.

Most actual example.... On top of the recession, the USA suffers from the worst drought since 50 years. The farmers are in dire need for help. Where I live, in Iowa, I see miles and miles of fields withered, unusable anymore.. One would think the governemt will act. It did act.. the usual american way.....
    Both, the Republican controlled Congress, and the Democrats controlled Senate came up with a relive program. Needless to say, both vary somewhat. And none of them passed. In order to pass for something it needs approval of both, House (Congress) and Senate... Custom however is, that whatever the other side comes up with, will automatically shut down by the opponent.
    Now if the President would go ahead and says SCREW YOU ALL, ENOUGH WITH THAT, I enact my powers and do whats needed. You can bet anything you have, that there will be a very vocal group slamming him for acting like a dictator.... And since the current President is a Democrat, those voices will be republicans. Would he be Republican, the voices would be Dems...
    As a foreigner in the USA, there are many things I cannot understand by common human sense.
    Examples, like you mentioned the healthcare system. It should NEVER be challenged to strive for a healthcare system that's government funded.
    To me it is a shame that the people of a country don't have any problem with their govt raking out billions and billions of dollars on warfare. It's perfectly fine to build military helicopters for 30 million a piece, but it's unacceptable for the govt to sponsor a healthcare program for ALL.
    It's also a shame that the country resides behind 138 other nations in the world who grant their work force paid vacation of at least 2 weeks by law. In the USA that does not exist. In most cases people have unpaid vacation, and even that some don't have. Same goes with benefits at work, that are completely natural to any European, Americans don't have it.
    In no other industrial country living so many people at or below the poverty line than in the USA.
    The "non existent" gun laws, no one can understand that either..... People cannot see that there's a relation between the current handling and the high death rates through guns...

The stand on Prostitution, medieval viewpoints.. Whereas here too, crime statistics speak books. In countries (which is all europe for example) with legal prostitution the sex related crime rates are dramatically lower. Besides, Prostitute is a recognized job in many countries, means the prostitutes paying taxes just like with every other job.
    They have to go through frequent health checks, required by law, and are safe.. Unlike crack whores in uncontrolled nations.
    I quote George Carlin: "Selling is legal, fucking is legal, why isn't selling fucking legal? In the Army they give you a medal for throwing napalm on other peoples heads, in the civil world they put you in jail for giving someone an orgasm."

All in all, I cannot understand why the USA does not adapt ideas and handling from other countries, proven to work for decades. Instead the 2 parties are busy fighting each other and most importantly making sure nothing will ever change.....
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2012-08-16 at 02:38 PM.

Well at least your country is smart about something like leaving out personal moral issues that have nothing to do with how a country is run.

I feel like we're going in circles because too much focus is on these redundant topics.
    Last edited by galaxiah; 2012-08-16 at 02:41 PM.

Sylvari Necromancer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxiah View Post
    Well at least your country is smart about something like leaving out personal moral issues that have nothing to do with how a country is run.

I feel like we're going in circles because too much focus is on these redundant topics.
    You cannot talk about the USA, where they bleep out "bad words" on TV... Sounds pretty much like a moral issue to me too

Deleted
    It's all the 17th amendments fault.

Deleted
    Thought dicussing politics wasnt allowed here, or am i wrong!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    You cannot talk about the USA, where they bleep out "bad words" on TV... Sounds pretty much like a moral issue to me too
    We have the FCC to blame for that.

Murder is good, boobs and the word "fuck" are bad.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Well Written Post
    I just have to say after I left the Marine Corps I lived in Europe for 4 years, and it opened my eyes to how things can be. Sure even in Europe things are not perfect. But they are a lot further ahead of the US. I am a Constitutionalist and the intent was to make a better world for the people. so many of the protections that Europeans have I feel should exist here in America. Of course I disagree with gun control, but then I also feel any personal 'vise' should be legal and taxed. (ie all drugs prostitution, ect) Government has only one job protect the safety of its citizens. The Constitution says these protections can not get in the way of our freedom. So the government should have health care and dam the insurance companies. We also should be able to own what we can afford. (when I say that I mean if you can afford a Nuke you should be able to buy one. Granted it should be rendered unusable.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    We don't discuss. OP asked an honest question and we've tried to give him answers on the differences between Scandinavia and the USA.

I was talking about the US.... while the control of our entertainment and what the public is allowed to "witness" kind of coincides with politics, the main thing I was hinting at was the battle over abortion and things like gay marriage (both are moral/religious opinions) that does not effect how our country is run. At all. All it does is limit the freedom of people, just because people have a moral issue with it.

But yes our taboos on bad words and sex is silly, when I can easy find a program on TV that shows a guy being stabbed to death or shot in the head.

---------- Post added 2012-08-16 at 02:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Government has only one job protect the safety of its citizens.
    Yes sir. Thankyou.
    Last edited by galaxiah; 2012-08-16 at 02:57 PM.

Sylvari Necromancer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxiah View Post
    I was talking about the US.... while the control of our entertainment and what the public is allowed to "witness" kind of coincides with politics, the main thing I was hinting at was the battle over abortion and things like gay marriage (both are moral/religious opinions) that does not effect how our country is run. At all.

But yes our taboos on bad words and sex is silly, when I can easy find a program on TV that shows a guy being stabbed to death or shot in the head.
    I thought you meant me with personal morals because of my prostitution example

I thought you meant me with personal morals because of my prostitution example
    No, sorry. I should have been more specific. I was complimenting your country on a job well done of keeping things like abortion out of politics.

Because as I said.

It doesn't matter.

Sylvari Necromancer

Deleted
    Why do people vote Republican? From what I've read here they sound like a bunch of squares from prehistoric times, denying people basic rights just because they don't agree with their way of life?

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Why do people vote Republican? From what I've read here they sound like a bunch of squares from prehistoric times, denying people basic rights just because they don't agree with their way of life?
    A lot of people are raised that way, and yes it is pretty much based on personal moral opinion.

If you go around and ask average citizens here why they are a Republican (or Democrat) you will almost every time get a response on things like pro/anti abortion, gay marriage, gun control or they will tell you something they heard about the opposing party they don't like.
    You will almost never get a response on how they choose their party based on how that party views a government should be run. Or their policies on specific laws.

I don't associate myself with any party because of this silliness. Political parties have de-evolved from what they use to stand for. And it's sad. It makes everyone look unintelligent.
    Last edited by galaxiah; 2012-08-16 at 03:34 PM.

Sylvari Necromancer

I hope this thread doesn't devolve into debating the issues, which usually ends with name-calling and a thread lock. Because so far this is a refreshingly sane and informative thread.

A major contribution to today's Republican party was the fact that many of the nation's first colonies were settled by Puritans and Quakers, who left Europe because they couldn't practice their religion and run their society the way they wanted (patriarchal, strict lifestyle, literal interpretation of the Bible, etc). This Purist attitude still prevails in much of American life today, including limiting gay rights, criminalizing prostitution/drugs, until recently limiting black/women's rights, limiting swearing and sex on TV while violence remains A-OK, religion as the basis of government (which by the way the same people that want America based on the Bible throw a fit at the idea of a Middle Eastern country based on the Koran), and the list goes on and on.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. People should be free to live the life they want, and if they don't want to swear/have sex/do drugs/etc, that's fine with me. But it's when they start forcing their beliefs and their lifestyle on everyone else, that's where I have a problem with it.
    Last edited by GarGar; 2012-08-16 at 03:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most actual example.... On top of the recession, the USA suffers from the worst drought since 50 years. The farmers are in dire need for help. Where I live, in Iowa, I see miles and miles of fields withered, unusable anymore.. One would think the governemt will act. It did act.. the usual american way.....
    Both, the Republican controlled Congress, and the Democrats controlled Senate came up with a relive program. Needless to say, both vary somewhat. And none of them passed. In order to pass for something it needs approval of both, House (Congress) and Senate... Custom however is, that whatever the other side comes up with, will automatically shut down by the opponent.
    Farmers already have government subsidized crop insurance, which pays for the majority of the costs of that insurance. I was listening to a Planet Money episode the other day where they were interviewing the farmers who were saying that even without crop insurance, they could make it through a year or two like this year without going under. In fact, most of the farmers they spoke to were millionaires. Not saying anything against the farmers. Just saying I'm not sure the government needs to offer them more help than they're already offering.

---------- Post added 2012-08-16 at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Waifu View Post
    Discussing politics is perfectly allowed here. It's only throwing around personal insults and acrimony that's not allowed.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    A major contribution to today's Republican party was the fact that many of the nation's first colonies were settled by Puritans and Quakers, who left Europe because they couldn't practice their religion and run their society the way they wanted (patriarchal, strict lifestyle, literal interpretation of the Bible, etc). This Purist attitude still prevails in much of American life today, including limiting gay rights, criminalizing prostitution/drugs, until recently limiting black/women's rights, limiting swearing and sex on TV while violence remains A-OK, religion as the basis of government (which by the way the same people that want America based on the Bible throw a fit at the idea of a Middle Eastern country based on the Koran), and the list goes on and on.
    You do know Quakers were by far the most liberal Christians at the time? And still are? Quaker colonies like Pennsylvania and Rhode Island were in a virtual state of anarchy in the 17th century, and people fled there from religious persecution in Massachusets. Quakers were also the first to advocate against slavery.
    Last edited by mmoc128328808c; 2012-08-16 at 04:42 PM.

Deleted
    some societies are tolerant to certain aspects of politics while others are not.

likewise some countries think 'ahead' in certain aspects of politics and not so in others,USA is no exception to that

free healthcare for instance in europe is considered common sense,it's about justice and dignity and the right to live,in america corporations play a larger part in politics and have manage to convince a minority of people that it's somehow not just to receive free health-care

in the part of education USA has many of the best universities in the world(and many of the best scientists),yet many people consider it should not be free for everyone capable of studying there,which creates educational unequalities on par with financial ones

in USA there are certain neo-liberal economic policies viewed as right and the rest as wrong,so it's not acceptable at all to say you're let's say a Marxist,the above theories also glorify free markets even though they're leading us into one crisis after the other

as a poster above mentioned religion plays a major part in politics,especially for the right wing,non-christians especially muslims are treated with suspicion,sometimes even hostility(by minorities)

the gun arguement..is USA it's considered a right to be able to buy guns,in most eu countries you need license and a SERIOUS reason to buy one
    -for instance Scandinavia(which i greatly admire for education,life quality and healthcare-and no i'm not from the north) goes along with USA on this part
    thing which is a great dissapointment in my opinion,how can you possibly feel comfortable with lunatics being able to buy guns from every block
    and no i don't give a shit if i can shoot them back especially after me or a beloved one is shot first

also in USA the private life of politicians play a major part in their acceptance in society(remember B.Clinton?),politicians have to be role models for a family leader, in EU things are more relaxed, if a politician serves his country well few(mostly conservatives) will care about his personal life(as long as it's legal)

summarising like it's people USA politics tend to be more traditional and conservative compared to EU,whether that's good or not it's subjective

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornainbow View Post
    As for abortion, yes, many in the USA are against it and believe it to be immoral etc. I'm actually shocked that many European countries label themselves as predominately christian but then the population at large supports abortion. Whether you support it or not, you have to admit that seems strange.
    Not quite, my friend. The Scandinavian countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, etc) are mostly known for being non-religious.
    The southern European countries have a more strong Catholic Church acceptance, like Italy, France, Spain and my own country. 10 years ago, we had to held 2 referendums to turn abortion legal, or at least a procedure with no legal penalties to the pregnant women, where I assume the Scandinavians did not have such trouble to pass a similar law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Farmers already have government subsidized crop insurance, which pays for the majority of the costs of that insurance. I was listening to a Planet Money episode the other day where they were interviewing the farmers who were saying that even without crop insurance, they could make it through a year or two like this year without going under. In fact, most of the farmers they spoke to were millionaires. Not saying anything against the farmers. Just saying I'm not sure the government needs to offer them more help than they're already offering.
    Well, with the situation not getting any better here (we missing one storm system after another), you can see the farmers in the daily news on every local channel. The situation as I understand is like this:
    We have to include farms that live off livestock as well into the picture. In order to maintain and raise livestock, it needs food. That consists in big parts what the crop farmers have, corn etc. That very corn is now withered in the fields. Means the supply for the livestock farmers falls short. The livestock farmer has to sell parts of his herd, a lot more than he wants to. One can now predict a slightly lowered meat price, in the near future. But that reverts in the next year and there after, since the herds need to be rebuilt, and less meat will be available. First overstocked, then understocked.
    Also the price for our food related to crop rises dramatically... Corn price is up by 50% and more already within the last month.
    I think what you've heard were big farmers, corporation size already. The average farmer isn't really a millionaire, unless they are in a state where farmland is expensive. Then they are equity millionaires. The average farmer has a few fields and tries to make a living for him and his family. And I can tell you that much, that here where I am, I have never seen that many signs on the roads pointing to the farms for direct sales of farm products like eggs, corn, tomatoes and the like.
    And all of them are smaller size farms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazrs View Post
    A few questions to you Americans about your politics!
    Probably the think you need to know, if that's what you are looking for, is that people that are actually independent and unbiased don't have much to say about politics. Many Americans vote once every 4 years, some don't vote at all.

Anyone busy selling you on the merits of their side of the political divide (or busy attacking the other side) aren't honest.

You basically quoted a bunch of stuff that's propaganda from the left, so I doubt you actually were looking for anything but reinforcement of that belief system.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.