Alchemy for tanks?

Is alchemy a decent raiding profession tanks? cause ive decided to make my DK my main for MoP and all he has are mining and herbalism :/ and i was thinking alchemy would be a pretty good profession cause i don't have it on any of my other alts. But cause it wouldn't give me stam it would give me str would it still be decent or would i be better off going to inscription,JC,or BS. Cause i don't want to drop one of these professions so i want to be semi self sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroblaze33 View Post
    Is alchemy a decent raiding profession tanks? cause ive decided to make my DK my main for MoP and all he has are mining and herbalism :/ and i was thinking alchemy would be a pretty good profession cause i don't have it on any of my other alts. But cause it wouldn't give me stam it would give me str would it still be decent or would i be better off going to inscription,JC,or BS. Cause i don't want to drop one of these professions so i want to be semi self sufficient.
    Double flask duration and improved flask effects. So yea.

Mixology

10+ Year Old Account
    All secondary profession (except JC) are on an equal footing. I believe in Cata they each give +80 to a main stat. They all give it in different ways (procs, static, On use) but it all rounds out. JC is a unique one because until epic gems come out, it's the best profession, but after they come out, it becomes the worst. BS also becomes the best profession after epic gems are released.

Ok thanks all i was just worried that Alchemy would be lackluster for tanks =D

Deleted
    Proffessions have gotten closer and closer with every expansion. They are closer to being balanced now than they ever were before, but they still aren't perfectly equal (yet)
    On a patchwerk fight outliners are:
    - Eng since their's bonus is a CD and stacks multiplicatively with others and
    - LW if you value STAM as there are no stam wrist enchant, but lw offers one with it's bonus on top of it
    - JC due to it giving +1rating due to having three gems to give it's bonus... stupid reason, will be fixed in MoP to give the exact same value as others.
    - tailor cloack enchant can be significant improvement depending on your stat weights (ie: frost dk do not like the defaut +crit clock enchant but will like the tailor proc every 1min a lot)
    On a non-patchwerk, you will have to add the QoL/usefulness of ENG sprint (alchie as swiftness pot but as a significant cost: their one dps/healer pot in the fight !) and quite rarely but sometimes the extra dps gain from some bomb-like consumables (absolute minmax fans will tell you "Gnomish Battle Chicken").
    Currently eng is the "best" prof period. BS and epic gems fiasco being only containder to second place.

MoP might or might not manage to make primary stats interesting but not completely crunshing the other ratings. If it does then Alchie, JC and BS will gain a few ranks due to their flexibility in regarde of your character statweights: they can give you ther bonus under any rating or primary stat your statweights prefer.

As an alchemist you get the extra bonus upon normal flasks. So for a tank, 1500 sta becomes (?) 1980? I know str will go from 1000 to 1320 and also flasks have a 2h duratation. Alch aint so bad afterall right?

Alchemy isn't quite as good for tanks because the Flask of Enhancement (what you use when you aren't flasking) doesn't give stamina at all, and stamina isn't always the most helpful tank stat (its definitely a good stat, tanks just don't value it as other roles value their primary stats).

The problem here is tanks don't really like primary stats all that much (bears do like agility, but the other tanks don't stack strength, and stamina is sort of an extra stat for all tanks). In MoP this may change since they are letting Strength give alot more Parry.

Deleted
    Soloing Alchime is the worst prof in MoP because of cristal of insanity is reusable and uses the flask buff slot for +500 all stats and prevents you from using the enhancement flask!
    (also note that in MoP, plate tanks will find that STR is about as useful as parry rating point per point. 1000str flask will be roughly equal to a +1000parry)

Alch is fine for tanks. First off, if you want stam, all you have to do is drink a stam flask and you get the mixology bonus for stam just like the stam bonus for any other profession. Second of all, if you really want to min/max you can dip into elixers which give stronger bonuses than flasks for a tank. You can use mastery elixer and armor elixer and essentially double dip from mixology. Doing that ups your effective health pool more than stam. Running double elixer is stronger for tanks without or without alch and the alch bonus from double elixer is stronger than the alch bonus from stam. Of course the drawback is that you have to drink new elixers after each wipe.

Yeah its good and ur guildies will need it as well so... !

are alchs geting trinkets in mop like cata?

I will tell you that the alchemy trinket was a nice starting out tank trinket for CATA.
    Also that double flasks and extra flask benefit both are good.
    Last edited by Lological; 2012-08-21 at 05:22 AM.