Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    TBC as a Ret Paladin was probably the most futile thing I've ever done. We didn't even have resilience on our gear (I don't think). I actually had Resto druids stop and /laugh at me. I pretty much only did it because I couldn't gear up any other way (didn't have a guild at the time), so once WotLK rolled out I left the arena forever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    Resto was the only way you could play arena(...)
    Not in 2's. The rank 1 team on my BG back when (playing RRD) played feral/rogue in 2's and they were rank 1 there too. I used to meet quite the handful of feral/priest, feral/paladin, etc. too and we a few of them did well in 3's too. I honestly can't remember what comps they played because it was ages ago and I wasn't very high in 3's until S4 hit but I remember they were there (probably feral/rogue/priest).

That said, hardly anyone played it because of how retarded resto was (asides the rogue/mage weaknesses you've already mentioned, which was indeed very true) compared to it. Was probably the weakest melee paired with rets.
    Last edited by mmoc9b719c3609; 2012-08-16 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    Not in 2's. The rank 1 team on my BG back when (playing RRD) played feral/rogue in 2's and they were rank 1 there too. I used to meet quite the handful of feral/priest, feral/paladin, etc. too and we a few of them did well in 3's too. I honestly can't remember what comps they played because it was ages ago and I wasn't very high in 3's until S4 hit but I remember they were there (probably feral/rogue/priest).

That said, hardly anyone played it because of how retarded resto was (asides the rogue/mage weaknesses you've already mentioned, which was indeed very true) compared to it. Was probably the weakest melee paired with rets.
    True, but you needed a good Rogue. And those all played with Mages or Priests because it was so much easier.

So I just remote controlled a mediocre Warrior/Warlock to 1800 to get the weapon and then swapped to Warrior/Rogue/RDruid in 3s for the 2200... which was somewhat better, default win against Mirror and Drain Teams and about 50/50 against RMP (because their Priests were all bad).
    Last edited by Feranor; 2012-08-16 at 09:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Menlol2 View Post
    Ret paladins in pre-wotlk patch.... nuff said.
    Not that I disagree, because my God, it is true, but fml it lasted like 24hours and it is the only thing people ever remember about ret.

It was fun though, stun/wings + gone

patch 3.0, ret paladins...never forget.
    but then 4.0 hit and, as a rogue, i had my revenge

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    3.0 Ret pallies. I mean is this really up for debate?

so balance by your view should be who is best at killing the under geared and the bad in unrated bgs and low rated arena? ret's took some severe nerfs before the season started and never had particularly good arena rep to begin with.

3.0 rets were powerful, but i think its not that they were OP its just that they were RET. a spec which had generally been regarded as a joke or a glorified buff bot up until that point.

people are still butt hurt a spec that they laughed at for all of vanilla and BC just tore them a new one.

Resto was the only way you could play arena, and then you'd have potentially infinite matches against RDruid/RShaman + Hunter/WL/Warrior only to get blown up by Rogue + Mage in a couple of minutes the next game.
    i have memories of ferals being absolutely stupid OP for at least one season in BC.
    Last edited by kosechi; 2012-08-16 at 11:13 PM.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Deleted
    Early TBC when prayer of mending had no CD and could be spammed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really class balance.
    CC in vanilla, pre-diminishing and pre shorten pvp duration.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by macke View Post
    S8 was byfar the worst season ever, not a caster? get out.
    Yea nope. Plate classes had legendaries. Rogues, ferals and hunters had awesome control/burst. There wasn't such thing as a non-rank1-viable class in S8 or for most of WotLK for that matter.

S11 as a warrior. Yea, s5 could be considered worse being forced into fury because of how bad arms was but there's just something about the current season and the fact that literally any class can kite me to hell that gets to me. MoP looks brighter everyday though. I don't think we're lacking in any way shape or form for the upcoming expansion.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2012-08-16 at 11:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

All of cataclysm for Destruction. Why? Because the solutions were so god-damn obvious and easy to implement, but Blizzard completely ignored the main problems and decided to buff things that wouldn't affect PvP, as if on purpose...
    In terms of genral arena "class balance", I'd say S5 and S11. The latter because there are such horrendous classes, and the kills are obtained in such a disgusting way.

Deleted
    Mace-stun warriors spamstringing with Skillherald. Srsly.

Pre-patch 3.0 ret paladins with wings + bubble working together (bubble still at 100% damage), divine storm being holy damage ignoring armor. Crit for wotlk numbers in tbc.

S5 dk's, namely shadowfrost (spam icy touch/plague strike to generate insane runic power to death coil ppl to death). Later they 'nerfed' that spec by making scourge strike crit for half your hp when the shadow portion of SS could crit.

Mutilate rogues (don't remember patch) before the Overkill change where they could double muti in the cheap shot opener.

And nothing is more aggravating than hearing that ice lance hit the last thing you hear before dying. Ugh.
    Last edited by mmoc141245fdfa; 2012-08-17 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added mutilate rogues.

Wotlk pre patch ret paladins, getting one shotted on my warrior.. I think that's the reason to this day that I can't get into pvp
    I've no idea what to write here.

Classic Rogues were my hands down most hated and unbalanced PvP class. So many rogues just rolled the class so they could just stun-lock you and kill you, than if any trouble came they just vanished. Luckily BG's came and boy did they start feeling the hurt of vanish on cooldown. Even then, it was hard to contain their melee burst... -_-
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2012-08-17 at 12:34 AM.

Deleted
    I have to say Paladins in general and Retribution Paladins in particular, during vanilla and first half of TBC, at least.

The class itself was a joke, for the community.
    Tanks were not viable, Holy pretty much just spammed one button, and Rets were the laughing stock of the game, and considered only good for leveling.
    The class in the whole, was only useful for the buffbot routine.

To worsen the situation, Tom "Kalgan" Chilton, a developer, for several occasions showed his disregard for the class.
    For example, instead of fixing Ret arena viability, he suggested that Paladins interested in arenas, should play Holy.

In patch 2.1 or 2.2, all blessings became much more visible (what they are today) for Pvp purposes, and suggestions made by the community often were ignored, or given to other classes. Example: the AP to Spell damage conversion was given to Enhancement Shamans, in the form of the Mental Quickness lvl 70 talent.

And on the PTR for the patch 2.4, Ret paladins were the ONLY spec in the game that, when you've made a premade character, its PvP gear had NO RESILIENCE.

It was a bad time to play a Paladin. I hold a grudge against Tom Chilton because of that period.

Vanilla rogues could solo any class of any gear level while naked with a single level 1 worn dagger in main hand and there is videos to prove it...Does it even get any more overpowered than that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn i miss pulling threat with my lock. I really miss haveing to soul shatter to keep from the boss kicking my ass. Good times... good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dymonic View Post
    Fighting against a warlock is about being under a constant barrage of smaller spells that chip away at your health. During the fight you would constantly be trying to do enough damage to the warlock to kill him before his spells build to critical mass, killing you.
    Warlocks prefer a very blatant display of their power. Walking around with their minions, or having their spells scorch the very earth they are battling upon

Blood dk's before vengeance nerf, i could crit over 100k (never critted that high with my warrior )

I miss when Scourge Strike was a THREAT and now it just hits like a wet noodle (i choose NS over SS, thx a lot blizzard).

SL/SL locks, good times and also warriors back in TBC, whirlwind was worth going for.

I miss unrelenting assault as well... QQ and passive arp.
    Last edited by Beefkow; 2012-08-17 at 01:19 AM.

as a hunter, just about all classes in vanilla were impossible to beat. just stand in 3-5 range and use instants...only way to win was going bm with the old and good spirit bond and just letting your pet do all the damage.

Deleted
    Death Knights at WotlK release patch, it was REALLLLLY BAD.

One of their dots had a 25 % chance to remove buffs from the enemy, was so much fun for resto druids and mages and they were pretty much immortal 1v1.

I leveled my DK as unholy and deathstrike was healing for 100 % of my life when I crit at level 73.

i play a mage so i think class balance has been dead on since the birth of wow
    Last edited by Fujisaw; 2012-08-17 at 01:26 AM.