Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Question Why do I wanna level to 80?

Hi,

Been trying to find some info on why one would want/need to level to 80 or rather the purpose of it? I mean there is no end-game content right? except for pvp?

I have read the "Mass info for the uninitiated" thread but is says nothing of any benifits of why one would want to level to 80?

I rather enjoy leveling and im sure the dynamic events will be a blast, but im afraid I still need, and want, some kind of carrot to take me all the way. For example challenging content only available at 80? Gear in terms of power or looks available only at 80? Is there anything at all?

Big thanks in advance for some clarifications!

10+ Year Old Account
    There is level 80 only content and progression beyond level 80 for PvE, there are just aren't any raids. What "no endgame" or "End game starts at level 1" means is that the game isn't bi-model. What you do at level 1 is fundamentally what you will do at level 80 to progress (excluding different zones, instances, ect)
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-16 at 06:52 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

There are dungeons, areas, and personal story missions that are only accessible if you're high enough level. Not that you can't get in, but you won't be able to survive if you are too low.

In short, you unlock content by leveling up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdi View Post
    Hi,

Been trying to find some info on why one would want/need to level to 80 or rather the purpose of it? I mean there is no end-game content right? except for pvp?

I have read the "Mass info for the uninitiated" thread but is says nothing of any benifits of why one would want to level to 80?

I rather enjoy leveling and im sure the dynamic events will be a blast, but im afraid I still need, and want, some kind of carrot to take me all the way. For example challenging content only available at 80? Gear in terms of power or looks available only at 80? Is there anything at all?

To get access to higher-level content (both zones and dungeons), to get all your trait points, to get access to the best gear stats-wise, to get access to legendary weapons, etc etc.

But should you rush to level 80? IMHO, there's no reason to rush to it, because the game doesn't really change dramatically. It just gets better. That's up to the individual, however, as to how quickly you level.

Just remember that anything and everything you do - whether it's crafting, exploring, jumping puzzles, pvp, DEs, heart tasks, personal story... you're going to get exp. You can't not level.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-16 at 06:54 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Check out "Explorable mods" for the dungeons.

Also, (and I'm not 100% sure on this), but once you hit max level once you get xp that equals 1 level you gain another skill point. At that point, you can trade in skill points for... a chance at an item that can start building a legendary item.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    lvling dont stop on 80 - you still get sam xp when you are lvl 80 and per lvl you make after 80 you get 1 skillpoint which you can use to buy legendary weapons

per full lvl on lvl 80 (80-81) = 1 skillpoint and back to lvl 80

Deleted
    To kill Zhaitan? Thats my carrot anyways.

All paths and stories eventually lead you to Orr and Zhaitan, the undead elder dragon, the end boss of all bosses. You can get your epic loot with Arah dungeon tokens or craft them yourself with materials found in Orr. Arah explorable modes are hard as hell probably. so I guess thats kinda like raiding. Zhaitan will be an outdoor boss with many dozens of players and npcs participating in the fight, and taking him down is no joke. You can still look challenges in the other parts of the world with scaling level. Maybe you find a really difficult monster emerging in some zone and you have to put it down?

And after you get bored, you can start a character of another race and profession and experience a totally different personal story.

The best part is when youre playing it costs you nothing, unlike WOW. Unless you wanna buy gems.
    Last edited by mmocb13165abed; 2012-08-16 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    There is level 80 only content and progression beyond level 80 for PvE, there are just aren't any raids. What "no endgame" or "End game starts at level 1" means is that the game isn't bi-model. What you do at level 1 is fundamentally what you will do at level 80 to progress (excluding different zones, instances, ect)
    I understand what you mean with this, but i actually have a problem with peoples consensus that there are no raids. Because the term raid itself is quite hollow.

There are Elite Events that require larger groups of players to bring down. Which is all a raid is.
    Last edited by terrahero; 2012-08-16 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    I understand what you mean with this, but i actually have a problem with peoples consensus that there are no raids. Because the term raid itself is quite hollow.

There are Elite Events that require larger groups of players to bring down. Which is essentially all a raid is.
    I would agree with you, but really if I said that I would be argued against otherwise, because raids are expected to be a certain way because of WoW and MMOs like it.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Hi,

Challenging content:
    Explorable mode dungeons look promisingly difficult.
    Gear level 80 and looks:
    There are unique skins and legendary for level 80 characters. Level 80 gear is also the best in the game, only thing is there are no multiple tiers at level 80.

10+ Year Old Account
    Valar morghulis

I mean there is no end-game content right? except for pvp?
    wrong

-) there are 5man-dungeons with the difficulty of raids in other games, 3 of those lv.80 ones, each of those with at least 3 different explorable paths (different content, different bosses) = 9 challenging lv.80 paths and 15 challenging paths in dungeons below.
    -) all the other dungeons are still challenging, because you'll get scaled back to the level of the dungeon - so no dungeon gets outgeared ever
    -) every event you do, no matter where, has viable rewards - even loot drops scale to your level - so no area gets outgeared ever.

instead of having less content to play at max. level (like a handful of dungeons and daylies/lv.80 zones in other games) you'll have the biggest variety of content open to you. Everything is viable. Yes, high level areas have higher karma/gold/xp rewards but low-level areas won't be obsolete ever. You don't have to play a new char from the get go in order to see the zones you haven't seen before in their whole challenging glory - just go there and get scaled back to the level of the area automatically.

I guess the "GW2 is a PvP game" is one of the biggest misconceptions out there.

It used to be that a raid was simply an activity that required more than one group. The term evolved to mean "large pre-established group size instanced content".

In DAoC we had PvE raids all the time, but they were neither player capped or instanced. Took 127 people to Tuscaren Glacier one time, that was the largest PvE raid I've ever been on.

But that's more arguing of definitions. Just like don't let the lack of "endgame" deter you from playing GW2, because there's still plenty to do at 80.

Deleted
    Reaching level 80 will be something that happens naturally as you progress through the enjoyable content.

You don't "want" to get to level 80 for its own sake...but you do want to explore the world and have the adventures therein.

I don't know if you've played Skyrim, the Fallouts or Mass Effects? In those games your character slowly gains levels...but that's an aside to progressing the story and exploring all of the mysteries.

If the game stops being fun - stop playing it...level is irrelevant.

Goal-less Wars 2?

Goal-less Wars 2?

It's just me-I want too much.

There are a lot of aspects to GW2which are wonderful and I am super excited about the game except…
    There doesn’t seem to be any point, goals, or journey. I’ve played in all the betas, am I literally missing this crucial aspect?

Allow me to explain.

If you play(ed) Warhammer Online, you know RR100, 2 pocket items, and RR100 Scenario Weapon(s) + full Warpforged is at the end of a long journey. A few years ago that journey was really long. Along that trip you find like-minded players, create memories, learn how to master your class, and progress, progress, progress. (You also kill a lot of people)

World of Warcraft, a heavily goal oriented game as well with both PvE, BG PvP, and Arena, there is a journey.

As silly as it sounds, you’re on a journey right now today.

There was a Neil Peart lyric in the song Prime Mover that says it better.

“The point of the journey is not to arrive.”

But in Guild Wars 2 I feel like I’m on a pre-paid holiday all inclusive or at the YMCA basketball court.

What’s there to work towards? Many will say-It’s not a gear game, it’s about skill. I’d rather call it a build-class knowledge-ability recognition timing-game, minus the accolades.

sPvP is really a glorified test dummy. There’s no power progression, you’re not working towards a goal, unless aesthetic gear is your thing. Sure we all want to look cool, but there is a reason why a Big Block 1969 Camaro is cooler than the Hyundai Elantra. It’s what it represents in terms of power. sPvP rewards are Blue Peter badges. It’s like a pickup basketball game.

WvW- Join the Zerg-maybe you and the other randoms will actually focus fire one of those bad guys! Take the objectives, break down the door! It’s DAoC+Warhammer in spirit…..except for…why?

But last I checked the gear you could “work towards” is level 60 and so over-priced you’d be hard pressed to get it in 2 years. If the “other realm” controls everything you will be less motivated to even want to find a group of players to “kill guards and take it back”

Do you like jogging? WvW is good for you! You get to literally jog (activate auto-run) across miles and miles of empty landscape. God forbid you’d have a *gasp* mount. There’s a personal story, just not personal transportation.

Don’t forget-killing someone out there nets you nothing. Looking forward to wiping warbands with your premade?(remember it’s not a trinity it’s dps+trinkets on parade) sure go for – There is no renown or honor to gain. I wonder how much crying there would be if a well-honed 5 man base camped and focus fired every kid that ran out into WvW.

Somehow winning the big serious super cool battlefield of war against evil and diabolical teletubbies with floppy ears loses its luster when at the end of the knock down you lean against the tree to count the winnings---health, gathering and crafting - NEAT – O Even Blackwater guys get paychecks. How about some cash at least?

Yes, I know I’m being a meanie, sorry about that.

GW 2 is going to give a lot of people huge amounts of fun. But I wish there was more of a sense of accomplishment and character progression related to PvP/WvW. Then I’d be hooked and evangelizing the devil out of it. Otherwise, it’s rec league basketball. You’d play for the rush of demonstrating your skill and winning. Everyone wants to win, but can we have some character progression please?

You could call it Personal Character Progression hehe.

I’m too old school.

sPvP has Glory ranks (think PvE levels, 1-80). There are also free and paid Tournaments with prizes to be won.

PvE is going to have a small gear grind (they've already said it's not going to be easy/instant to get the gear with the stats you want @ max lvl). You also have Legendaries to work towards.

WvW really has no point (the buffs are small/negligible). I honestly would like to see more rewards for that system.

We are aware there is no gear progression, this thread's message would have been just as well explained if you had simply said "GW2 does not have much gear progression and I would like some."
    Some people like gear progression, some people do not. You will not find a large amount of it in GW2, it is an intentional design decision.
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-08-16 at 07:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's quite a few goals in this game. Don't know why you think there isn't. I shouldn't have to list it all when it's all readily apparent.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-16 at 07:47 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a small gear progression from Fresh lvl 80 to full level 80 exotic gear, but after than it ends. Doesn't mean there aren't other means of progression beyond that. I have a couple of goals in mind already: Complete difficult content, Obtain Legendaries, Explore everything.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-16 at 07:49 PM.

Yes, I know I’m being a meanie, sorry about that
    No it looked like you read 3lines of what is in GW2 and then proceeded on making this goal-less thread where there are obvious mistakes and all I have to say is:

Ok but no.

P.S.: Great first post on a WoW fansite.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-16 at 07:50 PM.