Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Anyone else excited!?
    http://baldursgate.com/

I never actually played the old Baulder's Gate series but I wanted to, so in that regard I'm excited.

Excited? Yes. Skeptical? Yes.

Let's hope they don't roleplay as a Hollywood director trying to "re-imagine" a classic.

OFT: STOP FUCKING DESTROYING MY CHILDHOOD BY REMAKING MOVIES LIKE ROBOCOP AND JUDGE DREDD. STTTTOOOPPPPP
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

15+ Year Old Account
    Never played it, but seems to be a time to try it now. It is coming to andriod too?Now that will be interesting.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Never picked up a copy back in the day.

Now's my chance to do so.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Kreindis View Post
    I never actually played the old Baulder's Gate series but I wanted to, so in that regard I'm excited.
    You're definitely missing out. Baldur's Gate is one of the few RPG's that's managed to hold my attention for longer than a week. Absolutely love the older ones

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Never played it, but seems to be a time to try it now. It is coming to andriod too?Now that will be interesting.
    I don't think I'll ever get work done again if I can play Bg1-bg2 on my tablet...

Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    Excited? Yes. Skeptical? Yes.

Let's hope they don't roleplay as a Hollywood director trying to "re-imagine" a classic.

OFT: STOP FUCKING DESTROYING MY CHILDHOOD BY REMAKING MOVIES LIKE ROBOCOP AND JUDGE DREDD. STTTTOOOPPPPP
    Updating BG1 to the the same graphic style as BG2, adding in the class kits from BG2 and the races from BG2 (cant be a half orc in bg1) and adding some new quests is the majority of the changes.

It's the enhanced version of BG2 and Planescape Torment which they are doing after it that I am more concerned with.

And the big issue... if these 3 enhanced versions go well the company said the would work on Baldur's Gate 3!
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Updating BG1 to the the same graphic style as BG2, adding in the class kits from BG2 and the races from BG2 (cant be a half orc in bg1) and adding some new quests is the majority of the changes.

It's the enhanced version of BG2 and Planescape Torment which they are doing after it that I am more concerned with.

And the big issue... if these 3 enhanced versions go well the company said the would work on Baldur's Gate 3!
    Basically BG Enhanced will be BGTutu in a more stable format... which is fine.

I'm not keen on a BG3; they wrapped up everything with Throne of Bhaal and there's no room for a post-Throne story and there aren't really any places for expanding on existing characters, either.

It'd basically be like Bioshock 2 was - a shit game designed to milk more money out of a completed IP.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

The biggest problem is that Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Planescape Torment were life-changing experiences. There was so much love and compassion put into those games that I find it extremely difficult to believe that they are capable of producing something like that these days. Would I be excited if they announced it? Probably. To be honest, the closest to BGIII that I've played has been Dragon Age: Origins. I can't see it getting much better than that.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

The biggest problem is that Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Planescape Torment were life-changing experiences. There was so much love and compassion put into those games that I find it extremely difficult to believe that they are capable of producing something like that these days. Would I be excited if they announced it? Probably. To be honest, the closest to BGIII that I've played has been Dragon Age: Origins. I can't see it getting much better than that.
    BG2 enhanced version, from what I've read, is much like the BG1 enhanced version, better multiplayer (thank god!) new NPCs new quests and the like. The overall feel of the game doesn't change much. I assume the same will be true of PS:T

Which is fine. Adding extra NPCs and quests is fine, I do that all the time with various mods.

I almost prefer they dont make a BG3. nothing could build from and continue the feel and overall awesomeness that was the series.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post

I'm not keen on a BG3; they wrapped up everything with Throne of Bhaal and there's no room for a post-Throne story and there aren't really any places for expanding on existing characters, either.

It'd basically be like Bioshock 2 was - a shit game designed to milk more money out of a completed IP.
    That is my concern too. BG2 ended pretty well and final at the end of TOB. There really isn't much more to build from without butchering the story.

so what you forgo godhood shack up with your love interest Aerie Viconia or Jaheira (anomen for females) and pump out a kid and BG3 is about them? Although Aerie does actually have your baby in TOB naturally through the course of the game anyways
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2012-08-20 at 06:05 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I am very excited. Been a long time since I played my BG1/BG2. Looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post

There are many ways to make a BG3 without involving the Bhaalspawn. The name Baldur's Gate III just would be a whole lot better from an advertisement point of view than random Forgotten Realms adventure name.
    Last edited by Cairhiin; 2012-08-20 at 06:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    Ditto. Unless they hire on the guys from inXile and the other places the original creators spread out from, I wouldn't expect anything on the same level.

And as far as plot goes, BG3 would have to be independent of the Bhaalspawn saga.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Yes I am very excited. Been a long time since I played my BG1/BG2. Looking forward to this.

There are many ways to make a BG3 without involving the Bhaalspawn. The name Baldur's Gate III just would be a whole lot better from an advertisement point of view than random Forgotten Realms adventure name.
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance didnt involve the bhaalspawn yet carried the BG name yes, but it wasn't suppose to be part of the series. BG1 and BG2 dealt directly with the bhaalspawn. I cant really imagine having BG3 and have it not deal with them.

I don't mind other games sharing the "Baldur's Gate" name, I am just not keen of stuff being portrayed as part of the series when it clear it is not.

I agree with you though that it is possible to have a BG3 without the bhaalspawn, but i hope the story telling in it is very good so that I truly view it as part of the series, otherwise it might as well just be like the Dark Alliance series and carry the BG name but not be directly part of the main series.

Deleted
    I can't even remember what this game was like, used to play this quite a bit tho

Endorian the wizard slayer is rolling in this grave.

10+ Year Old Account
    Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance didnt involve the bhaalspawn yet carried the BG name yes, but it wasn't suppose to be part of the series. BG1 and BG2 dealt directly with the bhaalspawn. I cant really imagine having BG3 and have it not deal with them.
    Dark Alliance isn't even canon within the Bhaalspawn saga. It was basically just a one-off to get some money.

Dont really see a reason to buy this "remake" over the games I already have. Sure if I reinstall them, I have to play around for 30 Minutes to get all the mods in place to fix the various issues, but thats not that big of a deal.

I'd like to see enhanced BG engine games recreating some of the better Gold Box series games like Pool of Radiance or Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenegade42 View Post
    I'd like to see enhanced BG engine games recreating some of the better Gold Box series games like Pool of Radiance or Curse of the Azure Bonds.
    There was a second Pool of Radiance [Ruins of Myth Drannor] game. I know, people complain about it, but I mostly liked it (after some patches). The grain of salt is that I probably haven't played it in nearly a decade.