Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why are young people so lazy?

You know, I am owner of a company and I am often looking for a young people, however this has been almost impossible during last couple of years. The thing is, young people are so lazy, that I have to be officially looking for people with experience and good knowledge of stuff to separate the lazy trash. Lazy people will simply take my requirements as another excuse not to work and won't apply. Of course, I am willing to employ young person that doesnt know that much, but he has to be willing to learn and work, two extremly rare qualities these days. It isn't even that hard to lie a bit on interview and then work a bit extra during few months, but apparently it is for young people.

I can't even imagine how is this situation going to turn out in 5-10 years, This will be the time, when most of the parents will shut the support of their 30 year old "kid" and leave them to take care of themself alone. This huge mass of uneployable people will be problem that big, that it will be probably impossible to solve.

However I still don't understand why are these guys so lazy. Please someone explain this mystery to me.

The elderly are just too hard working... they make the rest of us look bad.

Deleted
    THIS is the topic you decided to make an account on a gamingforum for?

There are people who are lazy and there are people who are not!
    It's unfortunate that you haven't had much luck in the latter, but you cannot include everyone and say they are all lazy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, Mister, I'll come to your country and work for you.
    I'm willing to learn and work.

See, not that hard to find someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    THIS is the topic you decided to make an account on a gamingforum for?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Why do old people stereotype young people so much? At 24 years old I've worked hard at every job I've had, some of them were terrible, some were alright, none were good. I've given two weeks notice for every job I've quit as well. I worked for an old guy installing flooring that would work drunk, yell all the time and throw shit - still gave him two weeks.

Some of what you're lumping in with lazy might not be laziness. Personally I'm always willing to work hard, but compensation has to be reasonable, and so does the work load (I'm not going to do hours of overtime for no extra pay.) I'm not going to fuck my back up for your $8 an hour.

What does your company do? Are you involved in training/working with the new hires?
    Last edited by Shmeh; 2012-08-17 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like you're just a bad boss. I'm pretty damn lazy, but the majority of my friends are most certainly not lazy, you're just an ageist bigot.

Deleted
    Well, depends on the compensation.
    As a bad example, one of my last jobs, I was paid around 500€/month, as a bachelor's, working 9-11 hours a day, no overtime payment, sometimes working on weekends, and vacations, and I endured that for 3 years, until my boss called me a mercenary. That was the last drop. So no, I don't like to work when I feel am being screwed.

On the other hand I had great jobs, with decent but not great payment, by working for a boss with a whole different attitude.

So yeah, a decent paycheck is necessary, and a good working environment as well.
    Last edited by mmoc0e82c355ee; 2012-08-17 at 06:14 PM.

Well, let's start with begging the question.

Could you tell us what the job involves and what requirements you have set? Without that information no one can say if people in your area are lazy or if you are asking too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a member of this generation of lazy young people, I think there are two large reasons.

The first is the abject failure of our public school system. The current school system teaches that doing the absolute minimum will get you exactly the same as doing the best work you possibly can. Child gets passed even though their work deserves failure either because the policy of the school system is that failing a student discourages them and should never be done or simply because the teacher of the class does not want to deal with more students next year. This combined with many (if not most) teachers not giving a rip about students performance (I could go into all the reasons the teachers unions are at fault for this, but I won't just know they are) just reinforces the students natural tendency to not give a rip about their own performance. The lack of participation of many parents (which falls under the second reason) in their children’s schoolwork also further allows the child to not give a rip about their education or work ethic.

The second and larger reason is bad parenting or the lack of parenting. The two causes of this are the increasing trend toward having neither parent being at home or simply bad parenting overall results in a great many children not getting a decent upbringing. Many parents are content to think that the school system will instill a work ethic and values into their children (it doesn’t, the school system instills the opposite of a good work ethic in children). When children get nothing good upbringing wise from the school system and learn more from the internet and television than they do from their parents, that’s simply asking to create a lazy apathetic entitled slob. Parents need to be the prime influence on children as they develop (not what they get at school, off the web, or on TV) and so many aren’t.

These two reasons are what I think are the major causes of the laziness of my generation. Not all of us of this generation are lazy, but I know it’s getting harder and harder to find young people that aren’t.
    Last edited by DEATHETERNAL; 2012-08-17 at 06:21 PM.

I am super lazy. Growing up working in the hot sun all day for 12-14 hours wasn't for me. Working with asphalt or working on roofs in the summer spreading 500 degree hot tar I knew I didn't want to work that hard for the rest of my life. So out of High School I joined the USMC and started taking college classes at the local community college. I finished my Associates degree up prior to getting out. I started working as a PC tech while still on terminal leave shortly after getting out. I worked that job for about a year and got a Job working on a service desk and started to work on my Bachelors, working and going to school full time. I have now finished my bachelors degree and have a job sitting in an air conditioned office making almost 100k a year. I decided I wanted to take the easy route instead of breaking my back every day for the next 40 years. New plan is to retire at 50.

I am a lazy person.

10+ Year Old Account
    I work quite hard, in fact, I stress my body out working harder than I need to. You just need to go through a more extensive interview process, I guess. Or, maybe, raise your wage a bit.

There are hard working youth out there, but they're not stupid. Pay them for their hard work.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

If your requirement is prior experience, don't expect people with no prior experience to bother applying. In most cases, it's a waste of their time.

I would apply, but I don't have any work experience, and in 99.99999% of cases there's no point applying to such things as you just won't get a response.

Why are young people so lazy?
    The thing is, young people are so lazy, that I have to be officially looking for people with experience and good knowledge of stuff to separate the lazy trash.
    >Have no work experience
    >People expect you to work
    >Jobs require experience to work
    >Employers put experience required on to sift out the "lazy young people" because they are too lazy to check them out
    >Why are old people so lazy?
    >Derp?
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-08-17 at 06:35 PM.

I'm 20 and I don't have much work experience or an impressive resume but i am certainly not lazy. I get called up from my friend as hired help in a warehouse now and then, if the work is not finished i keep going even if it cuts into break time or lunch. I know I'm a hard worker because i always get called back when others don't. I've applied to so many places and no luck, it does kill me to see lazy employees such as the ones you are describing or people complaining on facebook about going to work in the morning. i would kill to have their spot.

And adding to that i don't put my time in the warehouse as work experience because I'm pretty sure that's not legal for a company to be doing that hahaha.
    Last edited by Garehn Vi-Brittania; 2012-08-17 at 06:34 PM.
    Bane

I will also come and work, where are you hiring at?
    Last edited by Gamdwelf; 2012-08-17 at 06:33 PM.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    If your requirement is prior experience, don't expect people with no prior experience to bother applying. In most cases, it's a waste of their time.
    As I said, good excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnyCrash View Post
    As I said, good excuse.
    Ok so where is my job offer?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

You know, I am owner of a company and I am often looking for a young people, however this has been almost impossible during last couple of years. The thing is, young people are so lazy, that I have to be officially looking for people with experience and good knowledge of stuff to separate the lazy trash. Lazy people will simply take my requirements as another excuse not to work and won't apply. Of course, I am willing to employ young person that doesnt know that much, but he has to be willing to learn and work, two extremly rare qualities these days. It isn't even that hard to lie a bit on interview and then work a bit extra during few months, but apparently it is for young people.

I can't even imagine how is this situation going to turn out in 5-10 years, This will be the time, when most of the parents will shut the support of their 30 year old "kid" and leave them to take care of themself alone. This huge mass of uneployable people will be problem that big, that it will be probably impossible to solve.

However I still don't understand why are these guys so lazy. Please someone explain this mystery to me.
    As a fellow employer I know your pain ... what I see in the new generation scares the shit out of me , when I think the future economy of the country will be based in that workforce .

10+ Year Old Account
    Lazy people will simply take my requirements as another excuse not to work and won't apply.
    Let me get this straight.
    You think people are lazy, because people are not applying to your application. Maybe they aren't seeing it. Maybe they aren't qualified. Maybe it doesn't pay well enough.

It sounds like the problem isn't lazy people, but the perception of the employer. If I knew who you were, and what application it was, and didn't apply because I knew about this post, does that make me lazy? No.

---------- Post added 2012-08-17 at 11:37 AM ----------

As I said, good excuse.
    How is that an excuse?
    Why would someone apply to a job they aren't qualified for?