Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    The tradingpost is at least continental, i suspect even global.
    Global.

/10asura.

I will choose medium. Playing WoW and SWTOR I always ended up on lower population servers. I'm tired of low pop but I think high pop will be too much for me.

Deleted
    i agree with Inora, high population servers arent going to win WvW because they have more players, high population servers have the same chance of win as any other server in WvW, so that point is invalid

Quote Originally Posted by Snake1596 View Post
    there is no world pvp, as far as i am aware
    There isnt. The only pvp in game is sPvP or WvWvW

Deleted
    High for me...Desolation, to be specific. I like the buzz of people and wanna make friends etc.

Am I correct in thinking that the MMOC guild is going to be based in the US?

Any plans for a EU contingent?
    Last edited by mmoc1be39d8ac1; 2012-08-18 at 01:16 PM.

Deleted
    I'm going Desolation. I'm tired of low pop horde servers. Eff Shattered Hand...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I am thinking the same thing. I joined a medium pop server and over the course of Cata it became low pop. At peak hours 40 people are on. In the whole server. Ugh.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Aliyra/simple
    PM me if you ever want to add me for Hearthstone!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    I am thinking the same thing. I joined a medium pop server and over the course of Cata it became low pop. At peak hours 40 people are on. In the whole server. Ugh.
    My server was medium pop but 80% of the people were horde.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    On the plus side - at least you can run through the streets naked :-)

Deleted
    Can't you change servers once at a period of time anyway? So if you chose wrong you could switch later?

Deleted
    If you're not interested in WvWvW - it won't matter, as you'll be able to guest on another server anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbucket View Post
    I'm just in the process of deciding what kind of server I want to play on, so I'm curious what's your choice and the reasoning behind it?

From WoW I've never liked highly populated servers, yet my current one has gone from medium to low in the past 2 years and it can be really crap to play there.

Thus, my choice of world initially fell on Desolation but based on the poll from Asura Labs it seems like it will be very highly populated, which is good for PvP reasons but less so if you don't want to run into people 'round every corner. And well, I like PvPing, but I still enjoy some 'privacy' so to speak...

Any input is appreciated.

Cheers
    In most games I would say medium population servers would be best, BUT for this game high population servers are just as good since it doesn't matter (all that much) if your server is full you can still play either in an overflow server or play on a friends server with your toon. Since the Trade market seems to be cross server there is no worry about picking a server with a good/bad economy since the trade market is not on a per server bases. (AKA you won't find that server A has copper ores for 1G per 50 while server B has copper ores for 18G per 50 since they share the same trade market)

Low population you run the risk of being in a empty zone where the fighting just isn't as fun as it is with a few other people around, and medium and high population servers if you don't want to be in a zerg you can always go else where yet still have people around to make the combat funner then that of by yourself.

So really anything medium or high is good and the only real difference between the two since the overflow mechanic is WvW and the possible annoyance of not being able to enter a dungeon due to being in the overflow.

Either way, even low population servers don't suffer to badly since it seems the overflow system puts you into low population servers zone A when your servers zone A is full and so even low population servers don't seem as barren as other games low population servers since what would be the "server que" for full servers in other games becomes extra population for the low population servers while they wait to enter their main server.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Aaawww... We rerolled horde cuz ally was dying. Diehard allies went to Frostmane and rest went horde :P. Dunno why some decided to die out as ally on SH :P.
    <- Ex OOTH (vanilla!, tbc!, mid cata - then/before horde) + Ex SH + Ex WoW! . Tried giving a shot as ally on SH late bwd and early FL, but then went to horde.

Best players rolln' on Whiteside Ridge!

10+ Year Old Account
    Low-pop servers are awful. Their economies are totally based around weekend versus weekday buyers and sellers. The guilds on low-pop servers always seem to be in shambles. It's nothing for the guild with the best progression to piss off a couple of people who then move to a competing guild and the balance of power shifts overnight.

There's only one nice thing about low-pop. There is no competition for rare spawns and mats. If you like playing alone and only focus on character development (crafting, reputations, etc.) then a low-pop server is for you. But if you want a fun, social experience, avoid them like the plague.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    Low-pop servers are awful. Their economies are totally based around weekend versus weekday buyers and sellers.
    Good thing the economy in gw2 is global among servers then

10+ Year Old Account
    Low-pop servers are awful. Their economies are totally based around weekend versus weekday buyers and sellers. The guilds on low-pop servers always seem to be in shambles. It's nothing for the guild with the best progression to piss off a couple of people who then move to a competing guild and the balance of power shifts overnight.

There's only one nice thing about low-pop. There is no competition for rare spawns and mats. If you like playing alone and only focus on character development (crafting, reputations, etc.) then a low-pop server is for you. But if you want a fun, social experience, avoid them like the plague.
    None of that is true for Guild Wars 2 simply because the trading post is global, not server-wide.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    None of that is true for Guild Wars 2 simply because the trading post is global, not server-wide.
    ...and you dont compete for nodes, EVER! Not to mention progression/competition is bit differently oriented in GW2 than other MMOs.

10+ Year Old Account
    High-populated servers definitely. Mainly for WvWvW and DE purposes.

Low-pop servers are awful.
    1. Their economies are totally based around weekend versus weekday buyers and sellers.

The guilds on low-pop servers always seem to be in shambles. It's nothing for the guild with the best progression to piss off a couple of people who then move to a competing guild and the balance of power shifts overnight.

2.There's only one nice thing about low-pop. There is no competition for rare spawns and mats.

If you like playing alone and only focus on character development (crafting, reputations, etc.) then a low-pop server is for you. But if you want a fun, social experience, avoid them like the plague.
    1. Trademarket is global not per server so this does not apply.
    2. There is no mob tagging, someone else attacks some "rare" you can then go and attack the same mob and everyone gets their own loot, as for mats mining/tree/plant nodes are all instanced per player and you can have 800 people all gather the same node, there is no node stealing in the game. As for mats from killing, as I said there is no mob tagging so you don't lose mats that way either, and there is no Level 80 one shotting all the level 50 mobs before you can get in a hit, players are down scaled so you will always have a chance to attack that mob before it dies.