Question about "Bards"

Now. I have a history of LOVING BARDS.

I am playing the free trial and loving that they can generate so many combo points so quickly, spam motif buffs, and have awesome auras.

This is a very appealing cross between damage, healing, and support.

I love the idea of a kit that has it all. (One of the main reasons I love my operative and sage in swtor)

Is it viable at end game? If so, with what other souls? What are some common bard builds?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude rogues are in a good place, typically though only one bard needed per raid though with that being said guilds are always looking for a dedicated one. Scott Hartsman said bards are also getting lots of love in the xpac. (Sorry no details seen it on twitter)

With that said I'll take the opportunity to link Trion's rogue video....(it's a bit dated but yeah) I've got a rogue as well don't play him much I do enjoy barding on him when I get a chance but I primarily heal on my cleric (I like warden/sentinel) or DPS. I just don't have the time to kit out multiple toons since I min/max my character that I raid with.

Last edited by Azuri; 2012-08-18 at 12:46 AM.

I'll be like the token kings buff ret paladins from days of old!

Ranger bard nightblade... >_> mmm.

Sounds like my operative.

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 01:00 AM ----------

Quick q.

Marksmen vs ranger.

Ranger because I can buff my pet?
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-08-18 at 12:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post

Yeah like i said I can't provide a ton of rogue builds someone will come along and I'm sure the official forums will have some optimal builds. If you like tanking too rogues do a good job even at end game raiding. We typically use one as an off tank kept a warrior as MT. PVP is kinda of silly atm with rogues with their OP fan out but again that may get overhauled come x-pac if the gear equalization takes place.

Well if you can snag a copy of the game cheap I'd recommend it since the trial just doesn't do the game justice. Feel free to use a RAF link too in the sticky you'll get some nice rewards as well as the persons link you used.

Good luck, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Yeah like i said I can't provide a ton of rogue builds someone will come along and I'm sure the official forums will have some optimal builds. If you like tanking too rogues do a good job even at end game raiding. We typically use one as an off tank kept a warrior as MT. PVP is kinda of silly atm with rogues with their OP fan out but again that may get overhauled come x-pac if the gear equalization takes place.

Well if you can snag a copy of the game cheap I'd recommend it since the trial just doesn't do the game justice. Feel free to use a RAF link too in the sticky you'll get some nice rewards as well as the persons link you used.

Good luck, have fun!
    Thank you for the tip.

Ps: I named my boar Kaliyo

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post

---------- Post added 2012-08-18 at 01:00 AM ----------

Quick q.

Marksmen vs ranger.

Ranger because I can buff my pet?
    51 ranger is very good for raiding because of the pet. MM is better for pvp in my opinion.
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by Trlz View Post
    51 ranger is very good for raiding because of the pet. MM is better for pvp in my opinion.
    I prefer Sab, however I still don't understand the rotation in the sab guide...

Time Bomb > Fragmentation Bomb > Spike Charge x5 > Detonate > Caltrop Charge x2
    It doesn't explain why caltrop charge x2 and spike charge x5, don't we get a benefit if we mix up the charges?

Can anyone explain sab a bit more?
    Last edited by zito; 2012-08-18 at 09:42 AM.

Bard is awesome for certain things. It is great to have a Bard spec simply to rez in case of a wipe at end-game too though. In reality, all rogues should have a bard spec and be ready to bard if needed, though as said, you only need one bard in a raid.

Here is a good Bard guide.

As for MM and Ranger, currently, Ranger does Higher Single Target DPS at end-game, however if has no utility. MM on the other had does better AoE DPS, has a ranged interrupt and a spammable purge.

Here are gudes for Ranger and MM.

One thing I can tell you about Rift that differs from the other games you mentioned playing is that you can have 6 specs. You can switch between them at will outside of combat. There are some dungeons and raids that may require you to switch specs. For example, Master Mode Darkening Deeps. I run as Ranger usually, however there are a couple fights that the healer is busy cleansing and can get stunned, so having bard to back-up heal is helpful. Some fights are not exactly pet friendly so I go MM. Personally I also keep 2 variations of NB specs for PvP and a Tank spec. You can and will switch specs often, so get used to all your specs early.