Poll: Is the game worst then it was?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I went with "better than it was". I agree the community atmosphere is virtually the same no matter when you look at, be it 5 years ago or 5 days. You will always have the nay-sayers, wannabes, elitists, general jerks and trade trolls, etc who work to forge rifts and discontent among the masses. To each their own opinion. I just tend to ignore theirs and move along. The game's much more enjoyable that way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    What server are you?

How far did you raid in Vanilla?

I don't know about you but on Tich in vanilla the community was WAY better.

At leased back in vanilla people who were idiots were black listed on the server because you couldn't just name change or xfer when u wanted.

As for raiding, I don't care what you say raiding in vanilla was a lot harder. BWL,AQ40 and Naxx esp Naxx were not a joke. Normal and hard mode were not separated like they are now. You went to raid and it was ALL hard mode. Only a hand full of guild in Vanilla ever got passed AQ40 and even less to actually get through Naxx.

The game has not been dumbed down? Did you even play vanilla? Sorry but i could not go to a vendor and get free tier loot for just running 5 mans. I could not run LFR and AFK for free loot. I could not AFK bgs without being black listed by the entire server.

I'm starting to think you're lying and never actually played Vanilla at all.
    and all that could be sayed about you too. maby naxx was very hard, but was the investment of time and money by blizz a smart one to make it so hard ? no, if only 1% of the playerbase gets to see such a large raid, then you can not justify the amount of investment it took to create it. And when they recycled it it wasn't because they wanted it, it's because they needed to earn money back from actually making it. It was new for at least 99% of the playerbase or even more.

Also, i'm with the OP 100%
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

Deleted
    Raids were "harder" in Vanilla because of factors outside of raiding, like getting enough people to put in the huge amount of time required, or the big hassle in replacing people that left and spending a long time running older raids to gear up new people. The fights weren't mechanically that difficult.

Raids are "harder" now because of the complex fight mechanics. It's easier to get people into raiding and geared up, and replacing people is easier. You're not stuck running older raids that you don't want to when you have to gear a new tank since your old one left for a guild a tier above yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted 'better than it was' because the game itself (mechanics, UI, graphics etc) have steadily improved with every expansion so far.
    Vanilla just wouldn't be fun these days because it was quite bland, had boring/bad mechanics and worse graphics and art. Not to mention the raiding just wasn't fun for some classes (mages being forced to spec frost and only spamming frostbolt, because everything in Molten Core was immune to fire, and arcane being merely a one-trick pony spec to 1 shot everyone in PvP)

The problem however, is that I do think the community has turned to shit. I remember getting in a guild in vanilla, and those people were like my family.

We casually raided every raid (taking our time), had loads of fun. Heck we even went to Amsterdam to meet each other during a guild barbecue. We stayed together 'till the end of Burning Crusade, when most people left because of more important things in life.
    I remember finally getting good at the game during Karazhan, still playing with all these great people and I seriously had the time of my life.

Then when WotLK was announced and a lot of those people left, the guild eventually started to crumble and disbanded shortly after WotLK released. With the left-over people we searched for another guild that we could all join together, but soon found out that the community just wasn't the same anymore. People had turned into greedy, grieving, selfish assholes.

And so more people started to leave, which is really lowering my enjoyment with the game ever since.
    Last edited by Horrid Crow; 2012-08-18 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post
    and all that could be sayed about you too. maby naxx was very hard, but was the investment of time and money by blizz a smart one to make it so hard ? no, if only 1% of the playerbase gets to see such a large raid, then you can not justify the amount of investment it took to create it. And when they recycled it it wasn't because they wanted it, it's because they needed to earn money back from actually making it. It was new for at least 99% of the playerbase or even more.

Truthfully, the only hard fights (in my opinion) were C'thun (he was just epic), 4 Horse and Kel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    The only real issue I'd have with current WoW is that content is too accessible now. It has a huge impact on the community.
    And how is it a bad thing?
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing WoW since '05 (small breaks inbetween). I think it's MUCH better than Vanilla atm. Cata's content may've sucked, but quality of life type things that make the game more enjoyable/accessible are just some of those things that make me glad I don't live in the past like so many forum-goers seem to do.

Deleted
    How can people say its worse? Calling it Vanilla is stupid if you think its worse, Vanilla is a base, its boring, its a basic flavour, If you say original wow is BETTER than current wow, you must be a total douche bag. end rant.

I didn't like cata but it was WAY WAY Better than original wow ever was
    Last edited by mmocc79ad49ed2; 2012-08-18 at 09:35 AM.

I started playing around the same time the Op did and if age matters at all I am now 29

HE is right about the community, it has actually gotten better for the most part.
    He is wrong about the game being just as easy/easier "unless you only count raid bosses in which case he would be mostly correct"

Leveling and dungeons in Vanilla however took one hell of a lot more time/energy/effort than it does today due to the lack of LFG/LFR And easy methods of summoning the group and of course all the scattered elites that used to inhabit the world.

That isn't to say I don't enjoy reduced experience to level, LFR,LFG "wish vanilla had those features"
    as for crossrealm battlegrounds it's a love/hate relationship "love the quick entry, while hate the fact I no longer can use it to get to know the other players on my realm.

As for flying mounts It is also love/hate "love the speed boost, hate the ground being empty"
    (solution = 500% speed increase ground mounts, and portals to every major city from every major city)

But yeah the things I miss most about vanilla are the sense of community and 40man raids, not to mention the raids during vanilla had excellent storylines and the bosses all had a backstory (something todays wow seriously lacks)

Pretty much everything else was a positive change in my opinion except for how warriors functioned "really miss the 15 rage heroic strikes"

Vanilla player here. It is mind boggling to hear people claim vanilla was better, or even BC. The community was filled with trolls, ninjas, jerks, and worse. I am not surprised that there are still people like that in the game. To those people that talk about early guilds being like family...thats what all of my guilds have been like in every expansion. I enjoy hanging around good people, and it may take a little bit to find them, but its not any more difficult than before. It just takes talking to other people(same as it did in vanilla). The only thing I think was better in vanilla was that Azeroth was filled with people leveling. Now the only people leveling are largely alts, which makes sense. The playerbase has aged, we all have end game characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    What server are you?

At leased back in vanilla people who were idiots were black listed on the server because you couldn't just name change or xfer when u wanted.

As for raiding, I don't care what you say raiding in vanilla was a lot harder. BWL,AQ40 and Naxx esp Naxx were not a joke. Normal and hard mode were not separated like they are now. You went to raid and it was ALL hard mode. Only a hand full of guild in Vanilla ever got passed AQ40 and even less to actually get through Naxx.

The game has not been dumbed down? Did you even play vanilla? Sorry but i could not go to a vendor and get free tier loot for just running 5 mans. I could not run LFR and AFK for free loot. I could not AFK bgs without being black listed by the entire server.

Haha good joke, Vanilla fights are faceroll in comparison today, blinded by nostalgia just like most people who played in Vanilla.

Oh yes, so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post
    Well yes, it lets more than 1% actually see it for starters. Huge impact isn't a negative impact :P

And I say that, and vote that it's improved, as someone who raided in vanilla and cleared all content then and in tbc pre nerfs. I am technically the one percent and still know these arguments about accesibility are stupid. Someone else having nice things shouldn't diminish your happiness in any way, if it does there's an issue with how you're getting your happiness, not with the other people for enjoying themselves.
    That's not what I meant.

It's totally fine for everyone to experience the content. What I don't find fine however, is that everything is based on pressing a button for "instant pleasure". Players have became really impatient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodkin View Post

all i can think of is the amount of cash blizzard got out of making it so hard.
    1/ players would farm the gear they needed FR included.
    2/ people would farm lower content to even be able to DO the higher content
    3/ people would strive to get better so they don't have a bad name on the server...(practice makes perfect for 'newbs' ~new players~)

all this adds up to more time spent playing and paying for a monthly fee.

now people beat content and unsub till the next patch after they get themselves, and with a bit of courtesy their raid geared.
    some people even unsub after beating normal modes(nothing more to see really)

thing is...your argument doesn't hold salt with me, blizzard made MORE money by making content hard, because newbs noobs and pro-casuals, as well as the pro's would spent time getting into the content, and learning it at different paces.
    the pro's back then would clear content, but also had alts (i knew someone who raided MC 3 times a damn week, guildies / alts, with a few randoms who didn't have a bad name picked up ~was secret recruitment~)

@the OP, the content was harder, the community (at least on darkspear-US) is about the same, might actually be a tad better, i recall more trolls back then.

for reference dierwolf@Emerald Dream was my main in vanilla, which had been transferred with heirlooms from Darkspear, another reason for the xfer was to level a nelf rogue for more openers with shadowmeld and extra vanishes while farming herbs in freya's room / ulduar ~making the ancients disappear so i could get the 3 herbs around each of their feets XD ~

i'd been into ZG a few times, never a full clear, into MC...omg the horror stories behind that... IRL Friend was a holy priest in that guild...i had very bad gear...i pretty much died EVERY pull..
    i decided i didn't want to raid at all till i could buy my epic mount, expensive as hell back then, i joined a guild i still miss...loved <Icon> and got into raiding again with kara, cleared to archimonde / illidan, illidan died right before 30% hp nerfs went out to all elites, never killed archi, oddly enough did kill first boss in sunwell, once lol... it was a casual raiding environment, lots of vent chatter and laughing.
    ^ just to give a short history of the raids i did actually do, since i didn't really "raid" in vanilla, i was however there for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    Players have became really impatient.
    funny you should say that lol, on my current main, Adaline-Darkspear(US) i use the title "the patient"
    even though i am a savior of azeroth.
    i just don't like the title.
    Last edited by Christan; 2012-08-18 at 09:53 AM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Whenever people talk about how craptastic the game community is supposed to be "now", as opposed to how it "used it be", all I can do is think of good ole Packhunter.

Everyone who has been on a server he has graced with his presence just laughed. For everyone else, I'll shed a bit of enlightenment.

I started playing on Shadow Council, which has the noble distinction of being Packhunter's original server. And who is this Packhunter? He was notorious for spamming general chat in the cities demanding raids. You know, back when raids couldn't be LFR'd. Before there was even LFG. Before there was anything to help you put a raid together. He'd spam the chat channels seeking raids, but only from good players. And he wasn't forming a raid, mind you. He was looking for one already started that was worthy of him joining. And he said it even more pompously than I just described it right now. I don't remember the exact wording but it was pretty much that. "I'm looking for good players who don't suck, I am not starting a group but looking to join yours." Only made his wording sound more like a jerk. And spamming this constantly.

So, without any of the tools that are currently in the game (for those of you who are newer), talking in the general chat channels was the prime way outside of a guild to form a raid group. And you had this guy spamming it, constantly, with that. I can't do it justice in this post, but he was even less pleasant in person, because he was better than you and you sucked, and he would tell you so when you failed him. Loudly and often.
    He quickly became a notorious character on Shadow Council and transferred to a new server as soon as that feature became available. He moved to Cenarion Circle. How do I know? Because almost as soon as he did people from CC were coming to the SC sever forums on the official site asking what this guy's deal was and why he was now their problem.

That's right. People from different servers (remember this was before battlegroups and LFD were even things) were coming to us demanding to know why they had to put up with this guy. That will tell you more about how obnoxious he was than my poor description of his annoying elitist-ness will ever do.

Point is, he transferred around, and was well hated by all. Right now if you go to youtube and type in "Packhunter" an infamous BG video of him back from his Shadow Council days is the first result. How long ago was it posted? 5 years ago. (the video was famous on SC because it was Packhunter not having a BG do it's job, back when BGs were just people from that server, and our job was to support him and get him free HKs. As a result of our failure he had to actually fight someone. So he ran away, like any player who is just that good.

Wait, why did I just go on that rant? Because this person was an absurdly over-the-top example of an obnoxious, whiny player, and he was there from the beginning.

You had some people who, well, just plain sucked in Vanillla too, just like now. True story.

10+ Year Old Account
    No TLDR? I have read so many of these they arnt worth reading anymore...
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

10+ Year Old Account
    What server are you?

I agree mainly with the OP, there is no way raids (not counting the nerfed and raid finder) such as bwl/aq40 were harder, they just required at least 30 of your 40 players to not be afk on the 2nd half of the instances, unlike MC.

Naxx may have been harder, I guess, we never really got to check it out properly, because it was only out for a very limited ammount of time, had crazy attunement costs and since back in the day, progression wasn't done as well (ie, no new heroics to get people easily geared for the last raid), not many people were geared/ready for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    funny you should say that lol, on my current main, Adaline-Darkspear(US) i use the title "the patient"
    even though i am a savior of azeroth.
    i just don't like the title.
    I actually used the Patient for quite a time on some chars although I have Hand of A'dal, the light of dawn etc. ^^

While there have been million trolls and obnoxious players since the dawn of WoW but "GIVE IT NAO (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻" is quite dominant today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theK1ll577 View Post
    US-Mannoroth - First server to open AQ gates so I know what I'm talking about, I'm not from some crap backwater server full of carebears.
    From what I remember Medivh-US opened the gates first, but hey, I could be wrong.

Deleted
    Agree with you OP

Vanilla was far worse than Cata

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Table View Post
    Vanilla raiding had easy fights with easy mechanics. Naxx wasn't hard, getting people geared up for Naxx just took a long time. Same with AQ40 and BWL. You think any of those fights could come close to the complexity of current fights like Heroic Rag/Nef/Sinestra?
    I am not sure you did the vanilla fights. MC was quite easy apart from that most people did not have raiding experience from EQ and were new. After that I would argue that the fights have been basically the same across expansions with a few hidden gems here and there. Everyone claims the current content is so hard - it is just new. That is all. The biggest difference is that in vanilla the add-on packages were not even close to where they are today - that made the fights quite alot harder. Alot.

My 'Gem' fights from vanilla onwards have been Majordomo, Razorgore (just a brilliant encounter), Original Nef, Twins, CThun, 4H, KT, unnerfed Gruul, Muru, Brutallus, Yogg, Putricide and finally the LK.