Poll: Is the game worst then it was?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Came into this thread expecting the usual rose tinted glasses bullshit I usually see from fellow vanilla players. I was disappointed in a good way.

Never has any thread on mmo-champion more deserved a sticky than this one. Not only have you brought up an excellent source of discussion that I can completely agree with, you've also pointed out a different way at looking at this, and the mindset that causes it.

10/10.

Deleted
    I think that it's better but the things I absolutely hate now in "new wow" is:

Flying mounts
    LFG - to an extent; would be better if it were realm only and friends list

Quote Originally Posted by Whatspostcount View Post
    I think that it's better but the things I absolutely hate now in "new wow" is:

Flying mounts
    LFG - to an extent; would be better if it were realm only and friends list
    Don't see why you would hate flying mounts in any sort of way. Maybe the SPEED of them, but flying mounts alone really just give you another view.

LFG should have a server only option, rather being restricted to server only. Trust me and anyone else here who played RIFT before the games dungeon finder became connected to other servers, you rarely had the ability to dungeon with others unless you played on the most populated servers. And even then, the queues were god awful because it was server only. Have you ever waited 3 hours to get into a dungeon that lasted 2 hours? I did at, at around level 19 - 21. I enjoyed it, wasn't a particular worth-while run but I enjoyed it. I don't (and I hope you don't either) want this to be in WoW, it'll be a terrible experience for anyone not at max level.

Deleted
    Exploring and gathering just felt much more rewarding to me.

I don't view things the same way in the air as from the ground. The way I play games is that I burn through them, I don't take time looking for hidden treasures. When I'm on the ground I see the things on the way to town. I also don't like what it does to world PvP but it's needed as 1500 A and H questing in one zone on ground would make things boring for some. Flying mounts also make botting way too easy

LFG I don't like because it opens the doors for douchebags to be anonymous douchebags. I have experienced what you talk about in Rift. I however haven't experienced it in Rift but in WoW and I'd guess that the server I was on had 3-4 times more people than your Rift server had. It took about 30 min to make a group and enter the instance. I really liked how the old instances looked from the outside. Might just be nostalgia but the Vanilla instance entrances were quite awesome.

Yeah I know this wouldn't work but this is just what I'd want and the game can't be only made for me
    Last edited by mmoc0798c9712b; 2012-08-19 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Spell check & misc. 5:46 here, sorry if I missed something/sound weird.

The game is waaaaaaaaaaay better than it was before. Some people just don't know why they hate the game, or some parts of it. Most of the things people say are junk for no reason.

Even though I haven't played in Chocolate WoW ............ oh sorry I meant Classic WoW, the game wasn't like people say it was.

What's Vanilla WoW? Who invented that word?

I have no idea about the community back in 2004 but I think it changed mainly because of the trolling whch became popular, I blame all those troll memes and sites like 4chan, 9gag and so on. I had no idea what trolling was 5 years ago.

Anyway I agree with the OP.
    Rufflesaurus <Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU

I'd like to point out how bias these polls can be. I'm betting that 75% of the people voting haven't even played the game that started it all (what was it 7 years ago?). The majority of vanilla veterans players have moved on and if they were around today then the poll wouldn't be so bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    I'd like to point out how bias these polls can be. I'm betting that 75% of the people voting haven't even played the game that started it all (what was it 7 years ago?). The majority of vanilla veterans players have moved on and if they were around today then the poll wouldn't be so bias.
    I 100% agree with you. I played Every exp. I loved Vanilla, the burning crusade and i played most of Lich king it was going in a path that made me quit to play Warhammer online for over a year. Came back to finish out Lich king wasn't bad but wasn't very good either. Then i pretty much played 3 months of Cata quit once all the content got nerfed i was enjoying the game again until that point. I jump on for 5-10 mins every once in awhile but i have no desire to play this xpac.

I'm really enjoying MoP atm though.

I know most of the people in these threads never played vanilla nor burning crusade, if they did they wouldn't argue that LK and start of Cata were wows high points because of population numbers.

Sorry to burst your guys bubbles but WoW got popular before LK ever hit. If Vanilla and Burning Crusade were not AMAZING then LK would of NEVER GOT PEOPLE. I don't understand how people can't understand that.

it's just like Diablo 3, when it released had a bunch of players not because Diablo 3 is a good game (imo) but because diablo 2 was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    If Vanilla and Burning Crusade were not AMAZING then LK would of NEVER GOT PEOPLE.
    Everything works like that, movies, music, artists, actors,games etc. If you succeed at the start and promote yourself/your product, the future doesn't really matter, people will still love your work/product, no matter how bad you are later on.
    Rufflesaurus <Huhuholics> Tarren Mill EU

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffles View Post
    Everything works like that, movies, music, artists, actors,games etc. If you succeed at the start and promote yourself/your product, the future doesn't really matter, people will still love your work/product, no matter how bad you are later on.
    ofc, but you can't tell that to the people who think Lich king made WoW all the sudden the most popular and best game on the market.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhh i love these threads, best of all are the ones that have been around since classic that moan but yet surprisingly still here, your like a disgruntled employee that goes to work everyday saying fuck i hate this job im gonna leave it one day until something better comes along.
    Last edited by starkey; 2012-08-19 at 05:01 AM.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't read all the way through this. However I miss actually having a sense of community among the server. I don't think it's the fact that I grew up. It could very well be. I just remember using chat to find dungeon groups, and knowing who was good and not havin to worry about ilvl.

But overall I agree with the OP. You grow up and you change they way you feel, act, and perceive things. Very well put OP!!

honestly the thing i miss the most is the community. i remember when everyone knew everyone on the server both ally and horde side. forums was active. people was more interactive with the world. world pvp was constant. hosting fun events/games that lasted for months. now its like ur lucky to get that kind of feeling with a guild alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who started in Vanilla, I gotta say things have only gotten better. Why anyone would wanna go back to methods that were in Vanilla is beyond me.

Vanilla player here, and I own no rose-tinted glasses.

Game's better now than it was in Vanilla. What's changed is my perceptions. Of course the novelty and wow-factor has diminished, I've been playing the game for so many years. But the game itself has gotten better.

Worst then, it was better then, it was still the same old no thoughts either way!

It's just common sense.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by theK1ll577 View Post
    US-Mannoroth -
    You can't get Teir loot from vendors doing 5 mans, they require tokens to this very day.

You are trying to tell me I'm a liar, but you make argumentative points that make zero sense.
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=46555#sells:0+2

You are wrong, and your post is wrong.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lazzy View Post
    What server are you?

How far did you raid in Vanilla?

I don't know about you but on Tich in vanilla the community was WAY better.

At leased back in vanilla people who were idiots were black listed on the server because you couldn't just name change or xfer when u wanted.

As for raiding, I don't care what you say raiding in vanilla was a lot harder. BWL,AQ40 and Naxx esp Naxx were not a joke. Normal and hard mode were not separated like they are now. You went to raid and it was ALL hard mode. Only a hand full of guild in Vanilla ever got passed AQ40 and even less to actually get through Naxx.

The game has not been dumbed down? Did you even play vanilla? Sorry but i could not go to a vendor and get free tier loot for just running 5 mans. I could not run LFR and AFK for free loot. I could not AFK bgs without being black listed by the entire server.

I'm starting to think you're lying and never actually played Vanilla at all.
    I agree with this guy. It took 3 months for Kel'Thuzad to be downed in Vanilla whereas it took a little over a month for heroic Madness to go down. Not many people even got to see Naxx in Vanilla, and most of those that did never got to Kel'Thuzad. Loot is so easy to acquire now, but the OP says that the game hasn't gotten easier. Are you kidding me? I can enter LFR, set follow on a dps, and get free epics that are only 6 item levels below what is available in normals. I can pug the first five bosses of heroic Dragon Soul.

In a response to this guy you say that people still get blacklisted on a server very easily. Even if people do get blacklisted on their server, NOTHING IS SERVER BASED BUT NORMAL/HEROIC RAIDS ANYMORE. It makes no difference if people are d-bags because they play with people who don't know them. You also say that you can't get tier loot from vendors for running 5-mans, and while this is true for this patch, the last 2 raid content patches of Cata allowed this! You also responded saying you killed Rag in Vanilla, SO MANY PEOPLE downed Rag in Vanilla by the time the expansion ended, that's like saying you're awesome because you downed Cho'Gall in Cata.

The OP seems to think that he speaks the complete and absolute truth, but he is sorely mistaken.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 01:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Vanilla player here, and I own no rose-tinted glasses.

Game's better now than it was in Vanilla. What's changed is my perceptions. Of course the novelty and wow-factor has diminished, I've been playing the game for so many years. But the game itself has gotten better.
    Of course the game has gotten "better", but that doesn't mean everyone has to enjoy it as it is now.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 01:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    Want to know what Vanilla WoW felt like? Level archaeology to 525. It felt like that most of the time.

You usually were just grinding out rep for some faction or doing the same 10/15 man instance for a single piece of gear over and over and over and over...
    But grinding felt so much more worth it in Vanilla because when all your hard work finally paid off, it was one of the best feelings in the world.

US-Mannoroth - First server to open AQ gates so I know what I'm talking about, I'm not from some crap backwater server full of carebears.

I downed Rag in Vanilla.

It still doesn't take long for someone to get blacklisted on a server so your point is moot.

The stats prove Hrag in Firelands was one of the hardest fights ever put into the game. So again you talk out of your butt lol.

You can't get Teir loot from vendors doing 5 mans, they require tokens to this very day.

You are trying to tell me I'm a liar, but you make argumentative points that make zero sense.
    So you cleared a single raid in vanilla, most likely months after it had been nerfed. And you think you are qualified to say that the entire original iteration of the game was not hard?

US-Mannoroth - First server to open AQ gates so I know what I'm talking about, I'm not from some crap backwater server full of carebears.

I downed Rag in Vanilla.

It still doesn't take long for someone to get blacklisted on a server so your point is moot.

The stats prove Hrag in Firelands was one of the hardest fights ever put into the game. So again you talk out of your butt lol.

Gotta correct the bolded part, Medivh was first to open AQ gates, I was there, we were in a damn close race with Mannoroth but we did win said race.

Quote Originally Posted by Artravus View Post
    I agree with this guy. It took 3 months for Kel'Thuzad to be downed in Vanilla whereas it took a little over a month for heroic Madness to go down. Not many people even got to see Naxx in Vanilla, and most of those that did never got to Kel'Thuzad. Loot is so easy to acquire now, but the OP says that the game hasn't gotten easier. Are you kidding me? I can enter LFR, set follow on a dps, and get free epics that are only 6 item levels below what is available in normals. I can pug the first five bosses of heroic Dragon Soul.

In a response to this guy you say that people still get blacklisted on a server very easily. Even if people do get blacklisted on their server, NOTHING IS SERVER BASED BUT NORMAL/HEROIC RAIDS ANYMORE. It makes no difference if people are d-bags because they play with people who don't know them. You also say that you can't get tier loot from vendors for running 5-mans, and while this is true for this patch, the last 2 raid content patches of Cata allowed this! You also responded saying you killed Rag in Vanilla, SO MANY PEOPLE downed Rag in Vanilla by the time the expansion ended, that's like saying you're awesome because you downed Cho'Gall in Cata.

The OP seems to think that he speaks the complete and absolute truth, but he is sorely mistaken.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 01:32 AM ----------

Of course the game has gotten "better", but that doesn't mean everyone has to enjoy it as it is now.

---------- Post added 2012-08-19 at 01:34 AM ----------

But grinding felt so much more worth it in Vanilla because when all your hard work finally paid off, it was one of the best feelings in the world.
    Wow, wait a min someone else actually plays the same game as me? Well, this is just.....amazing. No longer am i running around in this "imaginary world" i play in all by myself.