Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Felt pretty huge to me. Even with waypoints. And since this game gives incentive to go discover it made it feel even bigger. Like WoW is kind of big, but it's all wasted space since there's no reason to go out.

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels ginormous.

To put it in perspective, my reaction to the size of the world essentially matches Brian in the following clip:
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-18 at 08:05 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Yes, the cartographer makes the zones look like a square. The map in game don't show the zone borders like WoW. The zones don't feel like squares at all while you are in the game.

In all the Beta events and allowed access ive had, all i did was go out and get lost. The world feels absolutley massive, but being able to instantly go anywhere youve already been before is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I came into WOW in the midst of BC, and mounts were still lvl 40 before you got your first one. And lvl 60 for your epic ground mount. lvl 70 just to get your 60% fly mount. WoW probably has the biggest universe to walk through. When you have all the lvling zones and the size of a few of the raids and dungeons. And now with MoP just a few weeks away, it is going to get even bigger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockrocker75 View Post
    I came into WOW in the midst of BC, and mounts were still lvl 40 before you got your first one. And lvl 60 for your epic ground mount. lvl 70 just to get your 60% fly mount. WoW probably has the biggest universe to walk through. When you have all the lvling zones and the size of a few of the raids and dungeons. And now with MoP just a few weeks away, it is going to get even bigger.
    Probably wrong forum, but it's worth noting that GW2 feels larger than WoW did before they made fast mounts, let alone flying mounts, easier to get.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Wrong game. As for largest game world, wow doesn't even come close. Daggerfall is probably the largest.
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-08-18 at 08:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back when I really used to appreciate ghost wolf form... Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    "You were saved by Dwayna!" "...but Dwayna's not even my pa--" "Shut up, go help people"

Deleted
    I don't think WoW's 'big' is the same as GW's 'big.' I got bored of travelling in WoW. Hence why I sunk thousands upon thousands of gold for really fast mounts just so I could get to my destination quicker than the flight path.

GW2 has the instant travel. It doesn't feel like a chore. There is no flying over places you've been 200 times before and not paying attention because you've seen it. The only place you have to explore by foot is a place you've never been, and that's good. WoW felt big cause it took so damn long to get anywhere without flight paths. Exploring WoW for the first time was great, but afterwards travelling without portals was just a complete chore.

I'm really glad GW2 keeps the sense of size but still has instant map travel. Guess it's just that I've done all there is to do in WoW zone-wise so many times that I just got sick and tired of seeing the same things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cig View Post
    Back when I really used to appreciate ghost wolf form... Sigh.
    RIP Ghost Wolf. :<

Stupid level 20 mounts. It's a shame the ability's only use is in combat, and even then... it's dispellable. Screw you Travel Form. :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dreighver View Post
    Hey fellas, new to the forum and I've got a question:

How big does the world feel? For instance, I've read that SWtOR has a big world, but due to the streamlining of everything, and essentially putting the game on rails, it feels much smaller.

Vanilla WoW felt huge due to the lack of flying mounts and how far you had to progress to get your first mount. However, once flyers were added, the scale of everything dropped.

When you play GW2, how BIG does the world feel? I love that feeling of awe, when you see a huge city or a huge building and you feel so small. How much land is there to explore? There's nothing like getting lost out in the middle of nowhere. These are all the types of things that make a MMO so much fun -- the sense of scale.

I played RIFT starting last summer and plan on cancelling my subscription when GW2 is released. While I love RIFT, the world felt very small and streamlined. I seemed to plow through zones... and I absolutely hated that.

Just trying to get an idea of how excited I should be!
    If You have seen the sense of scale mists has come up with, Giant rolling plains with giant lizzards shooting cannons at moths.

Take that scale and multiply by awesome and you get guild wars 2.

The cities feel like really large areas you cant find every nook and cranny in one day, consider how long it would take you to jog across your own city irl.
    Thats about how it felt for me in guild wars 2 cities.

Zones are gigantic, for example world vs world vs world each of the 4 maps involved in the conflict is 3 times the size of Both halves of the Desert in wow.
    and there are 4 in total to fight over so the battles are huge.

Even the fact you can fast travel to points you have discovered before its still a large world.
    Just like how in skyrim you still feel how big the world is, although guild wars 2 is 10 times bigger than skyrim, its also got an underground and sky level to play on.

Rift was ok imo except none of my friends wanted to play due to its bland colors and super bland boring armor.

Swtor had the problem of making large areas that were empty except for 1 npc and making you walk all that distance to talk to him for 20 something levels was criminal lol. you also had the problems of say in corruscant the lines of flying cars for backround when your on your taxi, they would skip and stall and freeze when you were looking at them. they could not handle the scale in swtor.

Another problem of scale in swtor was the room feeling, you felt like this section of the map or city or planet was a room and there were lots of rooms but you could not see one room from another this was done to improve fps because like most developers swtor thought ppl still play on 10 year old computers running gtx 8800's.

Deleted
    In comparison to WoW it feels like a tiny piece of ****

Please post constructively. -- Fencers
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-18 at 08:25 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dafuqqq View Post
    In comparison to WoW it feels like a tiny piece of ****
    My 310% flying mount + Crusader Aura strongly disagrees with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    My 310% flying mount + Crusader Aura strongly disagrees with you.
    One of the main rules of the internet: DNFTT

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    One of the main rules of the internet: DNFTT
    But it's funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia View Post
    To help give you a more relative size reference I've marked the town that the video is of in a red square.

holy fuck. My mind is blown. I thought it was big at first but THAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    Another problem of scale in swtor was the room feeling, you felt like this section of the map or city or planet was a room and there were lots of rooms but you could not see one room from another this was done to improve fps [...]
    To be fair, all areas in GW2 are also entirely separated from another. However as you pointed out, GW2 does it miles better than SWTOR by connecting the areas directly via connection portals (and not some stupid copy-paste space station you have to pass through every time) and allowing access to each and every waypoint all of the time. I just hope that waypoints don't make normal travelling entirely unneeded after some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    [...] because like most developers swtor thought ppl still play on 10 year old computers running gtx 8800's.
    I think you would be surprised by the actual figures. I mean, I know it's somewhat sad, but people really do such things. Especially people who played only WoW and Solitaire until today...
    Last edited by The Kao; 2012-08-18 at 08:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Just a note, thats not a full map its what we had in the beta up to level 30, and its not showing pvp and minigame maps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    holy fuck. My mind is blown. I thought it was big at first but THAT?
    That's only part of it. There's a vid around here somewhere that shows it on a globe - there is so much room to expand into
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Also, people:

Bear in mind this is only one continent. Cantha and Elona have not been shown yet. Cantha is currently blocked off by Zhaitan's undead armies. Perhaps when we kill him, passage to Cantha will open?