Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't even the entirety of the landmass that the current explorable world is part of.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-18 at 08:48 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Also, people:

Bear in mind this is only one continent. Cantha and Elona have not been shown yet. Cantha is currently blocked off by Zhaitan's undead armies. Perhaps when we kill him, passage to Cantha will open?
    Elona../droll.

There was this GW Globe released somewhere which showed the entire world with the center being Tyria, Elona and Cantha. All three regions were connected to a larger part and i hope new expansions will bring large new zones . Also, i kinda can see that in addition to Elona, we get the region designed for GW Utopia as well. Maybe in another expansion, but would really like to see that Aztec place
    Last edited by Exroyal; 2012-08-18 at 08:53 PM.

Does anyone else feel like the world loses alot of fun since you dont have hostile players around?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gayrosh View Post
    Does anyone else feel like the world loses alot of fun since you dont have hostile players around?
    If you want that, there are 3 huge WvW maps to play around in.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-18 at 08:54 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    This isn't even the entirety of the landmass that the current explorable world is part of.
    Yeah, but it is all that's currently in game. Let's not worry about the entire globe quite yet, we don't know how much of it will be explored in expansions.

The human starting area (Queensdale) it has the same wide as the human starting area in WoW (Elwynn forest) .
    But Queensdale has double the height of Elwynn forest
    If you just look at the map in game, I understand how you could think this, but having done the entire human starting area... Queensdale is easily larger in width than Elwynn Forest.

Which is kind of funny too because there's less empty space in Queensdale as well.

Honestly, I think most zones are the size of Stranglethorn Vale or the Barrens pre-cata, but with significantly less empty space.

Edit: Actually, one of the neater parts of Guild Wars 2 is when you realize your inventory is full and you need to go back to town, you open your map and suddenly realize how much you've traveled since you left town. The game doesn't really feel huge at first because you're taken on this adventure by the dynamic events and hearts and skill challenges, and the massive amounts of stuff that could be going on around you at any point in time, and then suddenly you stop and look at your world map and find out you're not even remotely close to town any more and the game is really freaking huge.

And then for curiousity's sake you try and hike back to town and that's when you really begin to fully grasp how big this game is.
    Last edited by Willias; 2012-08-18 at 09:00 PM.

Deleted
    I'd answer that question seriously but looking at your avatar, I think the term should be 'Make love, not war.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I think that? If I want that, I can go to WvWvW.

Those maps are basically just as big as the rest of the world.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    I did a bit of starting zone and some wvwvw and has about 1% of the world explored, so I feel kind of small in a big world =)

Because waiting to get ganked by a max level, or 5 buddies, or someone just waiting for me to get low life is so much fun.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Here's a city:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=679XUBtyXX4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulandia View Post
    To help give you a more relative size reference I've marked the town that the video is of in a red square.

Here is the globe. I added the same area with red as seen in video and map above (it is there, a bit hard to see) ^_^:

Colorful areas on that map are what we have seen on GW1.

Here is clean globe map without known areas http://i.imgur.com/JAyuE.jpg
    Last edited by mmoce60d2079f6; 2012-08-18 at 09:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    On my first and last Beta weekend that I've played GW2, the world seemed quite big, even bigger than WoW I'd day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here is the interactive WvW map:

http://www.fist-of-the-empire.com/GW2-WvW-Map.html
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you actually like trying to do a quest and being ganked? or were you a ganker? if you liked either one go to world vs world vs world the maps are really gigantic immagine both tanaris and the new desert as one landmass and times that by 4 maps in world vs world pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of hostile mobs in the world (you just can't go running thru them and not expect them to come after you and kick your butt haha)
    Plenty of hostile players in WvW (like up to 2000 players at a time on a ginormous map)
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    Here is the globe. I added the same area with red as seen in video and map above (it is there, a bit hard to see) ^_^:

Colorful areas on that map are what we have seen on GW1.

Here is clean globe map without known areas http://i.imgur.com/JAyuE.jpg
    I've never seen this global map before.. where did you get it from? Anet or?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonerd View Post
    I've never seen this global map before.. where did you get it from? Anet or?
    It was data mined a while back. Its a bit strange as its got features which reflect GW2 changes in some parts, and yet in others seams more in line with GW1...but is does show just how big it is and how much space they have to play with.

hopefully expansiosn will explore new areas, not the same as GW1 expansions.

Deleted
    The thing about the zones too - they have a larger surface area than it first appears...which is to say, lots of nooks and crannies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm sure we all want to see what's happened to Elona and Cantha before we go somewhere new.

I'm also pretty sure that we don't have access to, say, where Augury Rock was. Nor do we get access to the Maguuma Wastes, or the Ring of Fire. Heck, even quite a bit of Ascalon we don't really get to see. We don't stray too far from where the wall used to be.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-19 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Well I'm sure we all want to see what's happened to Elona and Cantha before we go somewhere new.

I'm also pretty sure that we don't have access to, say, where Augury Rock was. Nor do we get access to the Maguuma Wastes, or the Ring of Fire. Heck, even quite a bit of Ascalon we don't really get to see. We don't stray too far from where the wall used to be.
    What if Maguuma Wastes, Ring of Fire, Isle of Janthir and the Blood Legion home are content patches which get added every second month or something? Either that or it could be a EOTN type of expansion which increases Tyrias size, i can see either one of those happening tbh.

Most excited for Elona however, especially to see how delicious Vabbi has become

Quote Originally Posted by Rapti View Post
    It gives me similar feeling I first had with WoW back in 2005... the world feels huge! Just one zone is pretty big.
    Nether less its bit different experience.
    However there is so much "hidden" stuff to explore that it really gets me excited!
    I also like the lack of any "flying" mounts, Im fine even with lack of any mounts. This game finally feels like an adventure, just like my first steps in WoW.
    I enjoy the no flying mounts, but am really looking forward to them (hopefully) revealing ground mounts with combat, much like the water combat system, you will have a weapon for mounted combat. Sounds epic to me and can employ many other game types and structured PvP objectives.

Also hoping for duels because when there is absolutely nothing left to do, or you want to test out your character against your best bud, well, that's not possible

As for OP: The game feels huge to me, partly because of mounts but also because I can only zoom out so far.. hell, I only WANT to zoom out so far because you have to actively pay attention in combat if you want to get skilled.

The zoning isn't bothersome enough to take away from the immersion and it helps with lag a great deal. The part that I can't seem to express enough is how the game is fun, and for now it's very explorable and its' all new and fresh. Above all else though, I'm enjoying combat immensely to the point where I find myself on endless grind sessions with random mobs.

The worst part of any MMO, running from point A to point B, seems less intrustive because while I'm on my way from "point A" to "point B," I'm also finding myself with what seems to be extreme A.D.D but is really just me doing anything in sight to get into combat. Also in most MMOs I find myself trying to reach max level faster than I really want to, where as in GW2 I just want to kill stuff.

Give me 400,000 boars and I'll kill them all..
    Last edited by Siq1ne; 2012-08-19 at 01:34 AM.