Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Gold income while leveling & gems for gold

I thought I would make my own post for this.
    What I noticed while playing BWE/stresstest, since my char wasnt deleted is that around 6ish hours of play in wvwvw completing events there and so on my current income was around 1 silver. The system in GW2 is the opportunity to buy gems for gold. So if gold inflow doesn't increase with level, I bet someone reached higher lvl and can confirm perhaps? If it doesn't increase it means 600h play to make one gold. If gems is suppose to be bought by golds and not silver, 600h for one gem at best if cost for 1 gem is 1 gold. Say price is higher than that, like 10gold.. well you can imagine the time to grind. Also most stuff in gem store is at least 100 gems+ in cost. With that math, trying to get gems for gold is not something you can even try to imagine if you have a real life going on outside the game.
    Anyone know about this? Is the gold loot increasing with level or is it just low because it's beta or is it working as intended and how it will work on live as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    I made about two gold salvaging uneeded gear, and gathering crafting mats (you can gather after you have purchased then equipped the three gathering tools: axe, sickle, mining pick) and then selling on the auction house (Black Lion Trading Company). The money you get from auctions is collected at NPC Black Lion Trading Company vendors you'll find at cities, trading posts, villages. Figure this was starter level mats (collected in level 15 and below areas) and only about 7 hours of game time over multiple test characters. Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    "You were saved by Dwayna!" "...but Dwayna's not even my pa--" "Shut up, go help people"

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really judge potential economy based on beta.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Can't really judge potential economy based on beta.
    I have to agree with this. For instance, I was salvaging everything I didn't want and throwing the mats on the AH. Those mats had very low prices and it got to the point where I had to look because sometimes the price was less than the vendor buy price! This was probably due to fewer people doing crafting in the betas and stress tests and focusing more on gameplay.
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cig View Post
    I made about two gold salvaging uneeded gear, and gathering crafting mats (you can gather after you have purchased then equipped the three gathering tools: axe, sickle, mining pick) and then selling on the auction house (Black Lion Trading Company). The money you get from auctions is collected at NPC Black Lion Trading Company vendors you'll find at cities, trading posts, villages. Figure this was starter level mats (collected in level 15 and below areas) and only about 7 hours of game time over multiple test characters. Hope this helps
    Yea, but I kind of understood that farming mats would increase gold gain, thats why I posted leveling in the topic but I guess it didnt make it clear that I excluded farming and just meant leveling. Salvaging is interesting, but as I understand you need to buy tools in order to be able to salvage, even for gems if you want better ones? Dont know if I understood that right if that's how it works because I havent seen any salvage on use spell in inventory but perhaps comes with gathering professions or?

And to other people, yes I understand it's beta. That's why I dont judge and instead ask if the loot of money is just something random now because it's beta, or if it will increase on launch or if it increase with level. You know, if something has been stated on how it will actually work on live. Read again or read this post and I'm happy if you have any information about what might happen on live, or perhaps you have reached higher level on any of your chars and can tell if we will gain more gold as levels arise?
    I wouldnt post if I didnt wonder you silly folks :P

15+ Year Old Account
    On the necromancer I played during BWE 3, and the stress tests after, I'd gotten about 2 gold in total as of being level 33 by just exploring, doing DEs and selling gray crap.

So it's not really hard to get and you'll be getting a higher amount of currency from hearts and random stuff in higher level zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    What I noticed while playing BWE/stresstest, since my char wasnt deleted is that around 6ish hours of play in wvwvw completing events there and so on my current income was around 1 silver. The system in GW2 is the opportunity to buy gems for gold. So if gold inflow doesn't increase with level, I bet someone reached higher lvl and can confirm perhaps? If it doesn't increase it means 600h play to make one gold. If gems is suppose to be bought by golds and not silver, 600h for one gem at best if cost for 1 gem is 1 gold. Say price is higher than that, like 10gold.. well you can imagine the time to grind. Also most stuff in gem store is at least 100 gems+ in cost. With that math, trying to get gems for gold is not something you can even try to imagine if you have a real life going on outside the game.
    Anyone know about this? Is the gold loot increasing with level or is it just low because it's beta or is it working as intended and how it will work on live as well?
    The price of 1gem will not be anywhere near 1gold. Maybe after months and expansion but not sooner. 100Gem doesn't gives you much and 1gold while not being hard to get is worth more than 1gem you can count on that.
    We can't take beta currency exchange as fact but we can still assume things that make sense.

For your question on income. 1s per hour is very low, even by beta standard.
    Most of your income should come from selling items/materials. Hearts/quests are a nice bonus but its a very small one. For example in the starting area, one heart/quest will give you 30c. Copper ore will sell for around 15c a piece, since a mine node is 3ore, that's 45c per node. Needless to say it's rather quick to farm 2 nodes and make as much as you did in an hour !
    Good items sell for multiple silver, like +power weapons.
    Also yes it increases as you level up, I was getting 1s20c per heart in the 20ies.

Finally, you can play with the trading post. You can do basic stuff with it to optimize your gains and losses or even go all the way into it, that's up to you
    People that will be the richest in GW2 will be once again people exploiting the Trading Post. But it comes with risk and it requires time. Expect to spend a lot of hours in front of the TP just doing that if you want it to be your main source of income.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-18 at 09:31 PM.

The amount of cash you earn increases as you level.

From 1-10 assuming you spend a little money on bags and maybe a weapon or two, you'll have just about what you need for your first trait book when you hit level 10 (10 silver).

You'll make 3x that from 10-20.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, but I kind of understood that farming mats would increase gold gain, thats why I posted leveling in the topic but I guess it didnt make it clear that I excluded farming and just meant leveling. Salvaging is interesting, but as I understand you need to buy tools in order to be able to salvage, even for gems if you want better ones? Dont know if I understood that right if that's how it works because I havent seen any salvage on use spell in inventory but perhaps comes with gathering professions or?
    Ack sorry I misunderstood you. Yes you need a specific tool (salvage kit I think it's named), but I know that in human starter area there is a heart vendor right at start that sells these kits for karma. Think you get a stack of either 15 or 20 salvage kits for like 50-78 karma, iirc. You then use these tool kits on gear you don't need/scraps of cloth/ etc.

And to other people, yes I understand it's beta. That's why I dont judge and instead ask if the loot of money is just something random now because it's beta, or if it will increase on launch or if it increase with level. You know, if something has been stated on how it will actually work on live. Read again or read this post and I'm happy if you have any information about what might happen on live, or perhaps you have reached higher level on any of your chars and can tell if we will gain more gold as levels arise?
    I wouldnt post if I didnt wonder you silly folks :P
    I wish I had paid more attention to my husband's progress, he made a much higher level than me lol. I don't know if the money increased from the mail rewards for completing hearts in higher level areas, sorry Tea I'll check out the wiki in case maybe some info has been posted there on money rewards, keep your fingers crossed!
    "You were saved by Dwayna!" "...but Dwayna's not even my pa--" "Shut up, go help people"

I wish I had paid more attention to my husband's progress, he made a much higher level than me lol. I don't know if the money increased from the mail rewards for completing hearts in higher level areas, sorry Tea I'll check out the wiki in case maybe some info has been posted there on money rewards, keep your fingers crossed!
    Don't bother, it does increase as many will confirm. I was making 1s and some copper in the 20+ levels per heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, just finished looking at wiki, not many regions up yet and of those that were, I found only a couple with money rewards listed.
    Ex: Lvl 24 heart gave 2 silver and 55 copper (source)

I dunno what I was doing wrong, but cumulative between 2 characters to level 10 I didn't even have enough silver to buy the first traits book.

I ended BWE3 with over 3g, and I wasn't even trying to earn money. 2g were from a portion of my crafting materials I sold before quitting the BWE.

I also noticed a lot of financial stragglers forgetting to open their mail after hearts. I had two friends do it. Had many a silver in their mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    I ended BWE3 with over 3g, and I wasn't even trying to earn money. 2g were from a portion of my crafting materials I sold before quitting the BWE.

I also noticed a lot of financial stragglers forgetting to open their mail after hearts. I had two friends do it. Had many a silver in their mail.
    Do you have to actually take the money out of the mail or something? Because I always checked my mail, but just to mark it as read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, there were money attachments you clicked on to received iirc. There was an option on right side of mail beneath the body of the letter that said "Take All".
    You can see it in this image from GW2Hub.com

While leveling you gain little gold, but it is enough to buy all you need while leveling.

The real gold trade comes from the BLTC. Selling mats, buying them, is really profitable.

Also don't be afraid to post any blues and greens you find on your travels, since the market is global there is a very high chance they'll be bought. The fact that you can post from anywhere in the world makes it even better.

Post orders took at most 5 minutes to fill in beta, imagine on live.

Well then, I probably had a pretty good size bank in my mailbox... That's good to know. I felt like money was a little slow but I'm sure thats all I'd need.

Your problem is trying to make money in WvW. Right now, WvW is either a break-even or a money sink. You won't start making money from WvW until you're a higher level (siege blueprint costs are less significant), your team constantly completes events (taking a point or defending one), and you harvest.

Going off estimates here, but I think after 20 hours or so of gameplay (level 26 through PvE), I had almost 1g in funds. After leveling Armorsmith and Weaponsmith, I still had just shy of 1g. I then played WvW or sPvP (no money change) for the rest of the BWE. I went down to about 80s by the end.

If I'm correct Freelancer made something like 800ish gold in one Beta Weekend. While this is no indication on what the average player will be able to make, that's still a lot of gold for 2 days and I would expect most people will have plenty of opportunities to save up for gems.

10+ Year Old Account
    I missed the money in my mail too at first, and not only that but I was going nuts when I first put up auction items that sold. Kept checking my mail and the money never came, I was all like WTFRAWRBBQ.... and then I stumbled on how to collect money from BLTC... -sigh-