Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Personally I find the Olympic games boring as hell for 99% of it, and would rather watch a LoL game.

Most olympics fights are downright awful, many of the sports have no entertainment value, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by bewbew View Post
    Personally I find the Olympic games boring as hell for 99% of it, and would rather watch a LoL game.

Most olympics fights are downright awful, many of the sports have no entertainment value, among other things.
    Personally I find video games boring as hell for 99% of it, and would rather watch an Olympic match.

Most esports are downright awful, many video games have no entertainment value, among other things.

Truthfully though, most video game matches are crappy if you don't know what the video game is, which is about... most people on the planet.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Only in Korea...
    "I just wanted them to hand us our award! But they were just talk!, talk!, talk!......" - Wrathion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I think if it were to become huge then they would have one extremely big event in a different location each year with as many professional level games as possible.
    We have that already, it's called the WCG aka Worlod Cyber Games, which is inofficially called the e-Sports Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by zeo View Post
    I am amazed at how many people don't even know what eSports are since they've thrown in "wii and kinect" topics. Not all games can be eSports. Right now we have SC2 that is replacing BW in South Korea (even though China is trying to keep it alive) and LoL which is the other big name. CS:GO might be another name in the future if the scene develops quite well. I read about people saying "playing 10+ hours a day is not that hard" and you're right if we are talking about WoW or some random console game. Try training SC:BW or SC2 for 10+ hours a day with no stopping, apart from bio breaks, 99.99% of people (0.1% are korean pros) can't even handle 5+ hours non-stop, because it is such a draining game on the mental aspect and it exhausts so much. And don't bring WoW arenas in, classes aren't even properly balanced to be considered an eSport (SC2 and LoL aren't 100%, but MUCH more than WoW).
    No one should be playing games 5-10 hours without stopping. It wouldn't even be a good way to train if you don't take a break. Athlete's NEVER do the same thing over and over for more than 5 hours UNLESS it is an endurance event. There are reasons for this.

I personally would love to see E-sports become bigger and better and more publicised in the western world, but they won't and shouldn't have any anything to do with the olympics.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by Arschmade View Post
    Synchronized swimming and this wirred dancing-thing are INSULTS to real sport like StarCraft2! SC2 requires eye-hand coordination, fast hands and mental strength/intelligence!
    A good synchronized swimming routine can take a year to perfect, don't diss it.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

You guys act like esports is somthing new, esports has actually died down in the past years, the early part of 2000 it was huge, CAL MLG ect. Most are dead or dying atm.

Deleted
    the boss toss, mang

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive no interest in star craft etc but i do like to watch fighting game tournaments sometimes. Im sure as we move closer to VR then esports will become much bigger.

I know these are quite some old responses, but I haven't been in this thread b4 to read some of them. I don't know why I bother to reply to some troll responses, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigen View Post
    I guess you've never played starcraft, then? The top players in the world are pushing over 350+ APM (actions per minute) with just their hands and wrists, that's a lot. Sc2 is about speed and counters. You do train to get faster, you will never see a pro player with less than say 200APM or even 250. You also have to have very flexible wrists and hands in general.
    But please, don't try and say things about a game you know nothing about, you just embarrass yourself.
    What I said wasn't untruth, they DO sit on a chair and spam buttons. Whats else are they doing? Lying on the floor touch screening with their feet?

There's no doubt that SC2 players need to be fast with the game, but thats still no reason to easily call it a real sport. I may not know the SC2 battles 00%, but I'm not one of these persons who waste their saturday nights watching SC2 matches for 6 straight hours. If you call it a real sport, then sorry my friend but... the only one emberassing theirself are you. Maybe not on this forum, but in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Manifestatio View Post
    And McNeil. You do not even have a slight catch on even the odor of what it is you're talking about. Just stop talking. Your posts are filled with faulty prejudices that are simply NOT TRUE. How much worse can it get? You've been arguing all the way through this topic based on faulty, untrue prejudices.
    Its not true? Well, I don't even know what you were talking about anyway, your post even miss my quote of subject (and then you call MY posts bad? Just... rofl). You see e-sport as a real sport? Thats fine, but that doesn't make it one. I'd like you to see going on the street, saying SC2 is a sport and such.

I know this might not be the subject you were on, but then again, your post is just... bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys sports are physical mostly, there are elements of mental too. E-sports are mental, with very small physicality.

Basically the mental part of sports is keeping your head in the game and whereas E-sports physicality is playing hours on end. The difference in physicality for E-sports and sports is length. Most sports you think of are more in the moment and require burst endurance (such as sprinting), E-sports is far more prolonged.

To answer the question, E-sports are not sports.
    Hey everyone

What I think of whenever someone takes Esports a bit too seriously:
    Last edited by kumduh; 2012-09-02 at 02:28 AM.

Deleted
    I would laugh and think about how sad those people are that join in. E-sports should stay "underground"

I'm already laughing at all the tournaments beeing held. I think people that do e-sports proffesionally are sad people.
    Last edited by mmoc80711df9dc; 2012-09-02 at 02:47 AM.

As someone that has been a gamer all my life, no, I don't want to see it at the Olympics, it's not a sport. You sit on your ass and press buttons.

On the contrary, it will get bigger, competitive gaming as we know it is relatively new and gaming in general is growing (in large part due to tablet games and stuff but it still counts).

I love Starcraft but not E-sport in general but I am willing to support E-sport. I don't think E-sport need to become real sport. It can be its own type of competition and can still become really big. I think some people are just so narrow minded that they think E-sport must be some nerdy thing.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2012-09-02 at 03:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    eSports will NEVER be in the olympics. I mean if Baseball isn't in it how can video games? Chess would be a olympic event before video games.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

I actually rather watch a Halo match than most of the so-called sports in the Olympics. Especially nonsense like Equestrian.

eSports will probably never get into the olympics though. Action sports are having a tough time getting in as it is.
    Last edited by Suporex; 2012-09-02 at 03:59 AM.

along with playing D&D
    Playing D&D's still nerdy though. Not saying it's not fun (although I wouldn't know, don't live in a place where they have D&D players), but the stigma is there.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-09-02 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Have you ever tried curling? That shit's tough.
    I grew up in northern michigan, and I have done it, it's almost as hard as table shuffleboard (the game you see in bars with the 30' table with salt all over it).

esports in the olympics? Most likely not in our lifetime until you the people can compete holographically from their home, even then it would require some sort of ability more than a good mouse finger...
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?