Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Back in its golden period, I recall Guild Wars rivaling WoW in popularity. All the way up to the end about four or five years ago, when the dipshits at ANet decided to all but completely abandon it in favor of their new game which they'd not even yet done any actual work on.
    That has to be about the worst business decision I have ever seen, and yet they've so far somehow managed to pull it off perfectly fine. I'm amazed they're not bankrupt right now, let alone building such massive hype. That probably shows just how much cash they were raking in off it before they decided to flippantly toss their very own cash cow in the gutter.
    Last edited by Khiva; 2012-08-19 at 08:04 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how they did it...But I can assure you that it is a GOOD thing they did...

If I considered GW1 before buying GW2...I'd NEVER EVER even think about buying GW2...I dislkied GW1...thought it sucked BIG TIME...I tried gw2 after I heard/read so much about it...And it IS amazing !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khiva View Post
    Back its golden period, I recall Guild Wars rivaling WoW in popularity. All the way up to the end about four or five years ago, when the dipshits at ANet decided to all but completely abandon it in favor of their new game which they'd not even yet done any actual work on.
    O_o dipshits? That's a bit harsh.

I'd say their decision to switch to developing GW2 has worked out quite well.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

After playing GW2 in beta I actually wish I had given GW1 a chance. I just never really looked up anything on it and was never told anything about it so I never tried it. The game is amazing. I'm finally convincing a lifetime friend to play MMO's for the first time because of GW2. It's nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    1st of all there is no "old school" rpg style questing in this mmo, new bloods(according to a poll i found in another mmo review site more than 90% of the people who are looking forward to gw2 are below 19) these days want everything quick and gw2 is definitely "quick", all the "dynamic" contents can be done solo and you don't have to be dependent on other players around you like in any other mmo. you don't have to worry about gears. the combat system looks like it came right out of a console game(in fact it exactly works like a famous console game); real flashy and all that, very catchy for people who likes more brawn than brains. arena net didn't follow any kind of rpg benchmark while designing classes; anyone can be anything they want without worrying about breaking the proper build of the class. and most of all it is B2P, pay 60$ up front and you will never have to pay again. even though what i read in gw2 developers blog they will have an item shop and they will be selling all kind of items in it, even the rarest crafting materials but still only 60$ to play as much as you want is a very big incentive. arena net was smart enough to copy game mechanics from other games(like the dynamic world idea), changed the looks and feel, gave them different names and called them "innovation" looking eye to eye with players and press like a conman. everyone buys what a conman sells right.
    Last edited by BrintoSFJ; 2012-08-19 at 08:04 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BrintoSFJ View Post
    1st of all there is no "old school" rpg style questing in this mmo, new bloods(according to a poll i found in another mmo review site more than 90% of the people who are looking forward to gw2 are below 19) these days want everything quick and gw2 is definitely "quick", all the "dynamic" contents can be done solo and you don't have to be dependent on other players around you like in any other mmo. you don't have to worry about gears. the combat system looks like it came right out of a console game(in fact it exactly works like a famous console game); real flashy and all that, very catchy for people who likes more brawn than brains. arena net didn't follow any kind of rpg benchmark while designing classes; anyone can be anything they want without worrying about breaking the proper build of the class. and most of all it is B2P, pay 60$ up front and you will never have to pay again. even though what i read in gw2 developers blog they will have an item shop and they will be selling all kind of items in it, even the rarest crafting materials but still only 60$ to play as much as you want is a very big incentive. arena net was smart enough to copy game mechanics from other games(like the dynamic world idea), changed the looks and feel, gave them different names and called them "innovation" looking eye to eye with players and press like a conman. everyone buys what a conman sells right.
    well said sir, also they removed holy trinity (wchich is my biggest regard, because I love playing healers), too make it even easier to jump in and have fun in 5 minutes. and dont wory aboutr looking for healer and tank for a dungeon. Everything to please the masses.

Deleted
    1st of all there is no "old school" rpg style questing in this mmo, new bloods(according to a poll i found in another mmo review site more than 90% of the people who are looking forward to gw2 are below 19)
    I call BS.

http://gw2census.com/charts.php?pie=...ivide=agegroup

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I would say the marketing team really knows what they are doing they have leaked out trailers, screen shot's, etc for years and as they learned worked when GW1 was released. I remember how awesome GW1 was supposed to be and how it was supposed to change MMO's and I bought into the hype got the Collector's edition and played for roughly 3 weeks before being absolutely bored out of my mind with it. The only reason I played the game at all after the initial first month was because my brother had started playing as well and we did somethings together until he also got bored and I haven't played the game since. This is one major reason I'm not buying GW2 I'm not falling to the hype again, if in 2 months everyone is still talking about how "great" it is I may try it out, more than likely not though as I have no real interest or time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    Don't bother, just another unemployed WoW fanboi / troll desperate to get his shots in on one game while blindly praising the direction of another.

The funny thing is, replace the references he made to GW2 with WoW and what he said makes a lot more sense.

Anyway, just report and move on. Judging by his post count he is another ban-dodging loser who has nothing better to do with his life.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-19 at 08:23 PM.

There are tons of "old school" rpgs with everything you love. Play those.

Also, your keyboard has a Return key, and shift to make caps; you're welcome.
    Last edited by rezoacken; 2012-08-19 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Warcraft's perceived "woes" are more due to market fragmentation and customer choice. There are just more high quality alternative MMOs and many are cheaper than Warcraft currently.
    That's part of the reason, but not the entire story, I think. Many of these competitors existed before Cataclysm launched. It still needed a catalyst for players to actually move away from a game that they had a lot of time invested in.

The two big mistakes that I saw Blizzard making was (1) raising the barrier of entry to raiding again in Cataclysm after they had lowered it in WotLK and (2) the dearth of non-raiding content after release.

There are 2 big myths among MMO forum goers; 1. WoW clone [very few MMOs are actually] 2. They'll be back in WoW [they really won't]
    About WoW clones: There are exceptions, but a lot do fail to differentiate themselves from the WoW model. And the exceptions are generally either bit players or compensate for whatever non-standard features they have by integrating them poorly or doing other things worse than WoW (for all the complaints about WoW, it is a very polished game).

Deleted
    tbh I think mostly older people are going to bother to fill out the survey on gw2census.

Deleted
    http://hugelol.com/i/3124.gif
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-08-19 at 08:20 PM.

Well to be fair that chart does say the majority are "young adult". The website is unclear whether it defines young adult in the psychological sense [19-30 iirc] or in the commercial sense [12-19].

Seeing as how the commercial connotation is the most popular in entertainment mediums- it is reasonable to assume that the chart means roughly 12-19 year old players.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    O_o dipshits? That's a bit harsh.

I'd say their decision to switch to developing GW2 has worked out quite well.
    Just because it seems to have worked out for them does not mean it was a sound decision. Like I said, I'm amazed they're not bankrupt.
    If one were to come across some random dark chasm in a cliffside and decide that jumping blindly inside would lead to them landing safely surrounded by hidden treasures, and actually did, that would still not have been a reasonable conclusion to expect. Any rational person would expect them to have wound up a broken mess at the bottom of some dark empty pit.

That it worked at all must be a testament to just how well Guild Wars was doing, which makes it that much more stupid that they abandoned it so thoroughly.
    Last edited by Khiva; 2012-08-19 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like they just stopped updating the game altogether, they just stopped releasing campaigns.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Well to be fair that chart does say the majority are "young adult". The website is unclear whether it defines young adult in the psychological sense [19-30 iirc] or in the commercial sense [12-19].

Seeing as how the commercial connotation is the most popular in entertainment mediums- it is reasonable to assume that the chart means roughly 12-19 year old players.
    They give you the option to fill out teen, now last I checked teen generally refers to 12-19 =P

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    well said sir, also they removed holy trinity (wchich is my biggest regard, because I love playing healers), too make it even easier to jump in and have fun in 5 minutes. and dont wory aboutr looking for healer and tank for a dungeon. Everything to please the masses.
    In what universe was the post you quoted "Well Said"? The person you quoted obviously has no idea what they are talking about, also the argument that it is brawn over brains combat style holds no basis as it uses one of the most skillful combat systems in any MMO in the market, skill selection plays a much bigger role in Guild Wars 2 than in pretty much any other MMO.

I have my doubts that this poll is a representative sample, one way or the other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    U bought the ganme , knowing it has no trinity and u are whining now ehm ?
    Whos the low inteligence guy here ? (ur my target)