Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It looks like a good game and quality in terms of graphics, dynamic events, pvp and whatnot. Is it too hard to understand?
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-08-19 at 03:24 PM.

I haven't seen a single commerical for it on TV so you could definitely say that they failed at marketing in Sweden.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    I haven't seen a single commerical for it on TV so you could definitely say that they failed at marketing in Sweden.
    there isn't a single commercial for it on tv

anywhere in the world

period

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    I assure you WoW fans are in for one huuuuuuuuge disappointment if they are looking for this game to fill the hole WoW has left them for the past 8 months or so. It is so different and satisfies a totally different customer base.
    Not necessarily. My husband and I plan on playing both WoW and GW2. It shouldn't be really difficult to understand why: WoW does raiding extremely well, but the rest of the game is fairly lackluster these days and becomes obsolete too quickly (I mean, we were 5-manning Bastion of Twilight a few weeks ago just for a change of pace because we were tired of the heroics, and even that wasn't particularly difficult). GW2 complements WoW very nicely in that regard.

It's surprising because I haven't heard anything from them. I don't visit their forums or anything, but they just seem like they go to gaming conventions, show off some stuff whilst not making any promises and let other people handle the advertising. Which is good, because a lot of people are advertising the game. A lot more than the company probably is. ❤

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think that most of the "hype" has been spread around by word of mouth. Yes, in recent months Anet has ramped up their PR of the game, but for the past 2 years, its been mainly internet bloggers that have either linked the manifesto, or covered GW2 at a gaming con somewhere. Kind of how like Mel Gibson got all the PR for Passion of the Christ. He just let the media run wild with it because, after all, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoysBoysBoys View Post
    It's surprising because I haven't heard anything from them. I don't visit their forums or anything, but they just seem like they go to gaming conventions, show off some stuff whilst not making any promises and let other people handle the advertising. Which is good, because a lot of people are advertising the game. A lot more than the company probably is. ❤
    the world has literally been taken over by the Word of Mouth buzz Guild Wars 2 has received

publications not known for gaming articles regularly publish GW2 related stuff

like I said before..

nothing is stopping this Word of Mouth GW2 has received because it's not hype

it's WORD OF MOUTH huge difference!

Say you see a trailer and people go crazy for it, that's HYPE.
    When you see a movie and everyone is talking about how amazing it is, that's WORD OF MOUTH.
    There is a huge difference..

Deleted
    i believe that its started with the "No trinity" thing and the fact that is a AAA game without Sub.

I heard something in gamebreaker about the F2P model, and they are right, some years ago everyone was "what F2P i will never play it, its pay to win, if its F2P its sucks", now its the opposite, no one want to pay to play, and that makes GW2 a good choice for those players.
    Last edited by mmoc79be53456b; 2012-08-19 at 03:49 PM.

I have to say WoW was the first introduction to MMOs for myself. I had heard about GW2 release, and knew about GW1. Never tried them. So, during the latest lull in WoW, waiting for MoP, i decided to check out GW1, enjoyed it so much I instantly pre-ordered GW2. Am looking forward to playing GW2, and still am playing GW1. Only downside right now for me, is MoP comes out a month after...and I have to hit 90 and get ready for raiding, so will have to put GW2 down for a bit until I get set in MoP. But it's a nice thing when you have so much to play you have trouble deciding.

I have been playing WoW for a lot of years now and i still love it - however GW2 really does bring a lot of new things to the MMO table.

I think that, genre-wise, you really can not compare WoW and GW2 - the gameplay is different, the "party/raid structure" is vastly different, the approach to combat is very different - it is like comparing (for example) Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield 3; their approach to game mechanics, combat and game play is way too different for them to ever be compared in a "1 to 1" ratio.

However you can compare which one you find more fun, but that is a completely subjective (and kinda pointless) comparison.

p.s. About marketing, i think that the best approach to marketing is when you actually have something substantial and new to offer (like GW2 does have) - instead of the traditional OVERBLOWN SUPERPUFF COLORFUL COMMERCIALS on internet and TV (like SWTOR had but actually the game is empty and a wow-clone, such a big disappointment).
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2012-08-19 at 03:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars seems to have an excellent fan base. I have many people in my circle of friends who talk very fondly of guild wars 1 and are hyped for guild wars 2. Word of mouth is very powerful. The names also being dropped all over the forums... although often in very innappropriate ways.

"Topic about something in WoW"
    - Some serious discussion
    - Little bit of flaming
    Suddenly Troll post "LOL GW2 is gonna kill WoW it's over 9000 times better hurr hurr."

Despite my anger at those people I think GW2 is going to be fun and I'm excited to try it... once I have some cash to pick it up xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lekyii View Post
    i believe that its started with the "No trinity" thing and the fact that is a AAA game without Sub.

I heard something in gamebreaker about the F2P model, and they are right, some years ago everyone was "what F2P i will never play it, its pay to win, if its F2P its sucks", now its the opposite, no one want to pay to play, and that makes GW2 a good choice for those players.
    you know I saw that on Gamebreaker and other places as well and wanted badly to make a thread about the subject on General Forums here but know for a fact people here will read it as an anti-wow bash and it'll get trolled and mods will shut it down

but I want to discuss it badly just feel handcuffed

has the gaming climate truly changed? honestly speaking.. humans are creatures of habit, people who play wow pay a sub fee out of habit and they just ride it even if they do not want to pay the sub fee

how many people do you constantly see "man i'd love to play that if it didn't have a sub" or "i'm never paying a sub to play a game again"

I honestly feel the gaming climate has changed.. with the insane success (yes, it's more succesful than WoW) of LoL and Valve's DOTA 2 getting insane numbers in beta right now

I do wonder if gamers have changed and GW2 is truly the coming of a new era..

B2P 4tw? hmm..

just some thoughts, but i definitely heard that form gamebreaker and it's a topic that begs for more discussion..

Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince View Post
    the world has literally been taken over by the Word of Mouth buzz Guild Wars 2 has received

publications not known for gaming articles regularly publish GW2 related stuff

like I said before..

nothing is stopping this Word of Mouth GW2 has received because it's not hype

it's WORD OF MOUTH huge difference!

Say you see a trailer and people go crazy for it, that's HYPE.
    When you see a movie and everyone is talking about how amazing it is, that's WORD OF MOUTH.
    There is a huge difference..
    This is very much the case, infact all my friends are purchasing GW2 and they never played GW1, I haven't heard this much positive feedback in the real world about a MMO since burning crusade. I can tell you though wow doesn't have word of mouth on it's side anymore.
    Last edited by DreamCast; 2012-08-19 at 04:01 PM.

I'm wondering if GW2 would appeal much to me if I wasn't such a GW1 fan. So in my case they needed GW1 to build this

Will confess to lately being a bit of a GW1 hipster and denying applicants/devaluing those who did not play the first games extensively. Haha.

I'm not a particularly nice person. XD
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-19 at 04:11 PM.

I myself had heard about GW1 but didn't care about it, not even enough to watch a video. I have heard of GW2 for quite some time and couldn't care less about it at first. I then took the time to watch a few videos just to see what it is about, (I enjoy seeing what new games are on the horizon.) and decided to sign up for beta, not thinking much of it or caring much whether or not I got a key. Well, I did get an invite to BWE 3 and played all weekend!, enjoying the hell out of it. The game is exceptionally well made. The combat is so very smooth (looking at you TOR) and the ability to dodge incoming attacks is fantastic, making encounters far more rewarding because of the "you are responsible for you own ass!" design.

Six months ago I knew of GW2 but didn't give a shit about it, today,after playing beta, I am very much looking forward to launch at the end of this month so that the journey on my Charr Ranger can continue. It is by far the smoothest, most polished MMO beta I have played to date and I have played quite a few. The game's hype is a direct result, for the most part, of it's own merit as a incredibly well made game. You will have a group of people that hop on hype trains just to be w/ their friends but they, I believe, are the minority in this case. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Will confess to lately being a bit of a GW1 hipster and denying applicants/devaluing those who did not play the first games extensively. Haha.

I'm not a particularly nice person. XD
    Are we sharing old news? :>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by charlieprince View Post
    you know I saw that on Gamebreaker and other places as well and wanted badly to make a thread about the subject on General Forums here but know for a fact people here will read it as an anti-wow bash and it'll get trolled and mods will shut it down

but I want to discuss it badly just feel handcuffed

has the gaming climate truly changed? honestly speaking.. humans are creatures of habit, people who play wow pay a sub fee out of habit and they just ride it even if they do not want to pay the sub fee

how many people do you constantly see "man i'd love to play that if it didn't have a sub" or "i'm never paying a sub to play a game again"

I honestly feel the gaming climate has changed.. with the insane success (yes, it's more succesful than WoW) of LoL and Valve's DOTA 2 getting insane numbers in beta right now

I do wonder if gamers have changed and GW2 is truly the coming of a new era..

B2P 4tw? hmm..

just some thoughts, but i definitely heard that form gamebreaker and it's a topic that begs for more discussion..
    Maybe the gaming community change or maybe after so much "fail" p2p games people begin to look to the F2P model, and F2P market its much better than before.

And from a Ex-WoW player, after 6 years of playing, the game gets boring, because it's always the same thing.

Incoming Wall of Text.

So... those who say there is no gear and "grind" in pvp... didnt play sPvP I guess or hardly any.
    There isnt any forced to become competitive at same level. As in you dont need to grind gear to be able to stand a chance against someone who would simply outgear you.
    The grind is to get all the collectible gear designs. Its not stat grind, but eyecandy. I for example want Gladiator Gear set for pvp for my warrior - not to mention its not the only set I want. I wont get it just like that I will have to "work for it". Thats what keeps grinders entertained while it makes it accessible to everyone at the same time.

Who ever says "feeling better when you finally beat someone who has better gear feels great". From my own experience its a relief that I FINALLY WON and annoyed that it was hard to beat some scrub shitter who had upper hand cause of his gear over me.
    Similar in PvE - all looks, and tons of different ways to obtain it, none of them are instant - sorry, there is well hidden grind, but you dont notice it while youre having fun. Thats the beauty of this game atm.

When it comes to hype without GW1...
    Back in 2005 I was standing at the store with both games in my hand... WoW and GW1. Didnt have any real mmo experience back then. I knew Warcraft from RTS games that I used to play a lot, while GW was something new and it didnt offer me variety of cool races to roll (yeah that was actually important for me - only humans ingame didnt appeal to me that much). Called a friend, he told me to pick up WoW because him and his friends were playing it. Walked out with WoW.
    Years passed on, I managed to get more info about GW1, even tried a trial - didnt really like it, at that time it just didnt feel appealing at all to what I had, I didnt have any real urge to play or switch to it.

Time moved on and my main game of choice started to severely disappoint me in quite a few fronts, but there was nothing really that would interest me more or make me throw away all the "invested time" and over years my game decided to make it VERY EASY TO LET GO with its design.
    In 2010 a friend told me that GW2 is in the works I laughed at him and said that Im not interested in an "instanced game", then he showed me a trailer and later on found 10 reasons to be interested in GW on youtube. Then I started to follow whats going on with this game, it cought my inerest with races, dynamic world, bit different system etc.

So in my case it was word of mouth. Im sure Id stumble upon it easily right now, since its literally everywhere.
    Didnt like GW1, played betas of GW2 and I love it.

ps. You will never get those minutes back.
    Last edited by Rapti; 2012-08-19 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Are we sharing old news? :>
    A reminder, dear. ;D