Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    No game does everything right. The truth of GW 2's design will not be truly known until it's been out for about 6 months. The same way that the problems with SWTOR came out with time the same thing will happen to GW 2. That is normal for an MMO by any company.
    From what I've heard, most of the problems with SWTOR were loudly voiced by beta testers, but the beta testers were by and large ignored by Bioware, who chose to rush out the release ahead of schedule anyways.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 03:21 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    It's awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    I'm talking about the meandering horde's who are after the next big thing, you'll see them and hear them soon!
    Soon? They're already here, and have been for a number of months now... In fact they've been growing noticeably since, oh, somewhere around December 20, 2011. At this point you'd need blinders not to spot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    But that's just your opinion many people LIKED GW1 despite what you think.
    Yep, GW1 may have rubbed a few people the wrong way, but a hell of a lot more loved and played it for years.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2012-08-20 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miah View Post
    So you have conversations about things you know nothing about because you didn't play them, you base these things off what people say. Who said these things Fox News? MSNBC? some gaming forum where people spew "WoW Rules and Aions a Korean Grinder."? If I based what I play off what people say I would never have had the best PvP experience in at least a decade from SWToR the last 7 months. Like you, I take care of a 380 acre ranch and have a couple hours a day to PvP but had zero troubles getting 2 full Warhero characters. Did I get my ass handed to me? Absolutely, but it sure was satisfying when I got my first piece of real gear and the day I finished my gear set, I started over to change out armor mods. It's a reward, what in life doesn't have rewards for hard work? I do get it though , its F2P so you have to keep it in the LoLegends framework. Its much harder to design gear sets and add stats and such so just give everyone the same set of gear and call it skill based.

If no one can see how being the underdog and winning is more satisfying than beating someone equal then yes I'm done trying to explain. Those Cinderella teams that Beat Duke in March madness even though Duke gets all the recruits, fat, out of shape Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson, US Hockey team beat, whatever David vs Goliath scenerio you want to use.

I have played the game, only 9 hours but my dueling comments come from .......PvP isn't dueling, in dueling, same class same gear matters. In PvP it's supposed to be a team effort, if you have a Cinderella geared recruit on your team, the team adjust also adding challenge. Some people like challenges, some dont.
    If you want a challenge from being undergeared take off some gear, problem solved. Some people like feeling like an underdog and wining anyway, I can understand and respect that. However some people also dislike being dissadvantaged because NoobROXORZ has 13 hours a day to grind gear even if he has all the skill of a box of rocks. Yes they will eventualy catch up in gear, as stated gear in MMO pvp is more a product of time invested. Just because they will catch up eventualy does not mean everybody enjoys being the underdog for 1, 2, 3 weeks or so it takes to grind out the gear on their limited playtime. Some would much rather enter in on an even playing field.

You point out sports teams that were underdog wins. Yes those were satisfying wins. However agian that was a pure Skill vs SKill contest. They were not faceing a team with magic shooes that let them run faster and jump farther because they have more funding or time, no magic ball that has a higher chance of going through the hoop. Skill vs skill.

The other major factor why leveling the playing field on gear is needed. That factor is class balance, particularly with scaling involved. you've mentioned at least once in this thread about imbalanced classes, in particular how without gear advantages its impossible to ever overcome a class that is more powerful if skill is equal. Class balance for PVP in MMO's is very hard to achieve. Dev's tweak and tweak getting closer and closer to the mark only to throw all their careful balancing out the window next patch. Why? because they have to release new gear, with more stats and no mater what they do every skill/ability/class will scale slightly differently with increased stats. When gear is part of the equation you face a wide range of potential stat levels making balance harder. On top of that you have an ever moving target making balance nearly impossible. Is it any wonder why all the MMO's that follow the style of WoW have a continuous cycle of one class or another being OP or UP for a patch only to switch places for the next patch? With only weeks/months to try and zero in on ballance while on an ever moveing platform before starting all over agian they just cant. Take gear out of the equation and the devs can keep tweeking till its as close to perfect as they can get. The target wont move on them and once they nail it it stays nailed.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    And let's not forget that GW2 has no orange-quality weapons to throw out balance for one specific class for an entire content patch, if not longer.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I was hyped up about GW2 after reading about just a few features.

The fact that it promotes community cooperation with dynamic events, and the WvW pvp system, which is like an upgraded version of RvR from Dark Age of Camelot.

I like feeling like I'm on a large team, and both the PvE and PvP do that. I don't like playing solo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    While I derive a certain amount of satisfaction from that, I usually just figure they are fucking horrible at the game and if we were on equal footing gear wise I would have mopped the god damn floor with them instead of barely winning. That just serves to irritate me more about gear advantages and the crutch they provide for shitty players with lots of time on their hands.
    I was rocking a full set of Cata Glad gear - in a random BG with a pocket healer I was GODLY.

Fully expecting to get my arse handed to me in GW2
    Valar morghulis

I love the comments people make stating "They'll be going back to WoW once the realize blah blah...." I haven't played WoW since October of 2011. There has not been one thing that has interested me to return. MoP is a joke in my opinion. I reiterate, IN MY OPINION. While the monk class is quite interesting, it's not $15/month interesting. Outside of everything else that is absolutely great about GW2, no monthly sub is the biggest seller for me. I'm going to list the reasons of why I think GW2 is so popular. Primarily I think it's because ANet has taken everything that is annoying about WoW and made a seemingly better MMO.

quick fyi: I've tried games like Rift, AoC, Warhammer, and a few other MMOs but nothing stole my attention from WoW. GW2 has.
    In no particular order.
    1. No monthly sub. no explanation needed here.
    2. No DPS/Tank/Heals. As one whom loves to do damage, I no longer have to sacrifice doing what I enjoy by rolling a tank/healer to get into fast queues and earn gear.
    3. Dynamic questing. Am I the only one annoyed with getting a tasked to obtain 40 centaur ears, killing 100 centaur, and only getting 10 ears? I mean, do some centaurs not have ears?! (A bit of an exaggeration but you get the point.)
    4. Actually feeling like what you do affects the environment. Because in WoW, nothing sucks more than killing 10 or 15 of something for them to respawn in 5 minutes making you feel like you've done nothing. Certain events in GW2 may change the environment for hours to days and even to weeks/months. Or maybe even be that way permanently.
    5. No kill stealing. No explanation needed
    6. WvWvW PVP.
    7. The ability to keep a certain gear style if you so choose. Somebody told me WoW was doing that now too. Is that true?

Those are just some of the reasons I feel it's so popular. I have a lot more but I'm tired of typing. All in all it seems the endless, mundane grinding seems to be little to non-existent with GW2. It seems to be a well built game for both casual to the most hard core MMO players out there.

Deleted
    i read ghost of ascalon and played through the story lines of the expansions again

Quote Originally Posted by Assass1n View Post
    7. The ability to keep a certain gear style if you so choose. Somebody told me WoW was doing that now too. Is that true?
    Yes it's true, it's called transmogrification.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's different than the standard stuff which is a good thing, people like variety and the MMO genre has remained the same since 2004 for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Assass1n View Post
    Yes. Actually, in WoW it is fairly cheap and in Rift it is free via the wardrobe system (though a Rift wardrobe cannot include a weapon or off-hand). This is one area where GW2 probably fares the worst, because it requires gemstones (I expect that you'll still come out on top once you consider the subscription fees for WoW and Rift).

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    Yes. Actually, in WoW it is fairly cheap and in Rift it is free via the wardrobe system (though a Rift wardrobe cannot include a weapon or off-hand). This is one area where GW2 probably fares the worst, because it requires gemstones (I expect that you'll still come out on top once you consider the subscription fees for WoW and Rift).
    You'll (likely, cba to find a source to double check) be able to buy transmutation stones with in-game currencies, not limited to gems

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    You'll (likely, cba to find a source to double check) be able to buy transmutation stones with in-game currencies, not limited to gems
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Stone

Gems can be purchased with ingame gold also.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    Gems for the transmute stones can be bought with in game gold, it doesn't have to be a cash transaction. They are also awarded for map completions (although those were minor transmute stones that don't work on level 80 stuff.)

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Gems for the transmute stones can be bought with in game gold, it doesn't have to be a cash transaction. They are also awarded for map completions (although those were minor transmute stones that don't work on level 80 stuff.)
    I didn't say otherwise; my point is that gemstones, one way, or the other, are a big step up in costs from the nominal gold fee in WoW (or the entirely free wardrobe in Rift). You'll either pay for them with real money or with your time. Note that I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it's not an advantage of GW2 over WoW or Rift; it's one thing where WoW and Rift are more convenient.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gemstones being required for transmutation, I will dare to say, is just downright stupid. Would have preferred a proper wardrobe tab. It's one of my few complaints of GW2, but it's much more minor in my book than the story-telling.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Gemstones being required for transmutation, I will dare to say, is just downright stupid. Would have preferred a proper wardrobe tab. It's one of my few complaints of GW2, but it's much more minor in my book than the story-telling.
    I really hope there's something we haven't seen that gives you transmutation stones. I know there's the ones you get from 100% completion but those are lvl 1-79 aren't they? So you're screwed at lvl 80. What I'm hoping for is that you can get them from DEs or EDEs in Orr, chests from EDEs in Orr would be pretty awesome.

It's a game all about cosmetic gear but you can't even take advantage of the system unless you pay money...pretty damn lame imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilo View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The post above mine wins. I forgot about that video.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The "world" in World of Warcraft is barely accessed and in its place the vast majority of the player base is only interested in instant gratification i.e., fast queues for everything, portals to everywhere, finishing dungeons and non-progression raids as quickly as possible... the the point where I've seen somebody try to vote-kick a tank for taking 60 seconds to repair his gear and clear his bags at the start of a dungeon.

We used to explore every nook and cranny of Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor on foot, before we had flying mounts - because we were immersed in a WORLD. In place of that we are now entering an expansion that's major selling points (aside from the scenarios, which sound cool) are WoW-Pokemon, WoW-Farmville, and WoW-Kung Fu Pandas. This is coming directly after an expansion that gave us WoW-Twilight Worgen and WoW-Plants vs Zombies.

Anybody with clarity of mind can see what's going on there. WoW is a game for kids that happens to have some old veterans that are keeping it real... I'm one of them, but I recognize what is happening.

GW2 is not full of all that... shit. I don't think they need hype because people know quality when they see it.
    I played the beta weekends and there was still a lot of lippy azz kids playing, I thought the game was really good for the graphics and so forth, just not for me. It seems all the MMOs have the lippy azz kids trolling or smarting off. Thank god for ignore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    It's a game all about cosmetic gear but you can't even take advantage of the system unless you pay money...pretty damn lame imo.
    Even with buying gems for gold, agreed.

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 06:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bosshock View Post
    I played the beta weekends and there was still a lot of lippy azz kids playing, I thought the game was really good for the graphics and so forth, just not for me. It seems all the MMOs have the lippy azz kids trolling or smarting off. Thank god for ignore.
    I didn't notice kids like that.

Unless you're talking about the trolls in map chat mouthing off about WoW being their patron deity. But who pays attention to people in public chat channels? O_o
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 11:04 PM.