Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Glyph of Mass Exorcism - worth it for Ret?

Topic title, basically.

Seems that with that glyph, HotR, SoR, and DS in addition to a level 90 talent, we'll have A LOT of AoE potential. However, my question remains. Is the drawback where it's melee only worth it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    I can think of only two drawbacks - giving up a ranged attack (probably bad in pvp, not so much in PvE), and what other glyphs you're giving up. Only 3 out of so many fun glyphs.

Deleted
    I think it more depends on the PvE fight, but in PvP I think it's not worth it. If you have some fight like Unsleeping in 25man the glyph might be useful.

in pvp its not worth it but its a must have in pve at least for trash/bosses with adds

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsod View Post
    in pvp its not worth it but its a must have in pve at least for trash/bosses with adds
    This is pretty much true imo. It sucks not being able to throw one while running in to the boss though. However, changing Glyphs is easily done on the fly, so you just need to customize it depending on the boss fight.

I can't see it being worthwhile in any situation except one where you never have less than 5 targets or depending on the time between adds, that number goes up significantly. Probably worthless.

EDIT: Actually I might've read it wrong, or it had different writing before. Either way, it's not as bad as I thought it was. It could be decent in some encounters.
    Last edited by Reith; 2012-08-19 at 07:08 PM.

PvE it will be better on some encounters and worse on others. I would not use for leveling.
    PvP I wouldn't use it in Arena, but perhaps in RBGs for AoEing a flag.
    i5 2500k Powercolor HD 6950
    8gb 1600mhz RAM
    96gb Kingston SSD, 1TB Caviar Black 64mb cache
    Basic P67 motherboard
    800 watt PSU
    NZXT Phantom Case: If you think this case is ugly, you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    I can think of only two drawbacks - giving up a ranged attack (probably bad in pvp, not so much in PvE), and what other glyphs you're giving up. Only 3 out of so many fun glyphs.
    Just curious, what "fun" glyphs are you referring to? I've been playing around with it on beta the only glyphs I've taken are Templar's Verdict damage reduced (helpful for healers), Word of Glory's 3%/Holy Power glyph (since on most fight's I'm using it once or twice), the last one I'm in debate between Word of Glory as Ranged attack (more reason to use the other glyph with it) or Divine Storm 5% health on aoe packs.

Maybe it's just me, but I find all the glyphs lackluster except for WoG Ranged attacked and possibly this one (on aoe fights like Yor'sahj).

There's no place for it in leveling or PVP. For PVE, it's very dependant on the encounter. A great example of a pure gain with it would be Yor'sahj with his Forgotten One adds - it's a pure damage increase there. Another example where the trade-off actually occurs (range for AoE) would be Hagara - it'll work wonders on Ice Tombs in 25-man, but you'll lose ranged Exorcism for ice phases.

Deleted
    Could break CC as well, making Exorcism become a big no-no in certain situations, limiting even more damage and building Holy Power. I wouldn't take it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuji View Post
    Topic title, basically.

Seems that with that glyph, HotR, SoR, and DS in addition to a level 90 talent, we'll have A LOT of AoE potential. However, my question remains. Is the drawback where it's melee only worth it?
    100% fight dependent but it will be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Certainly a fine glyph for most AoE dps situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know most glyphs are just for fun or utility, but if Mass Exorcism's only useful some of the time, what major glyphs would you sport otherwise?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

I know most glyphs are just for fun or utility, but if Mass Exorcism's only useful some of the time, what major glyphs would you sport otherwise?
    There are a few glyphs with trade-offs that most likely won't work for sustained damage (Immediate Truth and Inquisition), but Glyph of Double Jeopardy will end up being a mainstay if you can remember to juggle targets with Judgment. Glyph of Harsh Words can also be seen as useful for fights where you need to be out of range of a target for some time.

I think Glyph of Templar's Verdict is likely to be the only staple glyph as it'll make us one of the more durable DPS by gaining damage reduction every time we use our bread-and-butter attack. But that one aside, we'll likely rotate out on a per-fight basis - Mass Exorcism and/or Double Jeopardy for add fights (depending on how many adds and of what type), Harsh Words for fights with air phases or lots of time outside melee range. Glyph of Avenging Wrath is another strong choice, in my opinion, as it can help our survivability, but you'll have to wait to judge its true value until you get into the raids and can determine if your healers need that particular bit of aid.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

15+ Year Old Account
    Glyphs in mop for Ret are mainly PvP utility related not much useful but a few, Except the glyph that makes truth look like seal of blood that wins hands down.
    Last edited by Requital; 2012-08-19 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    I think Glyph of Templar's Verdict is likely to be the only staple glyph as it'll make us one of the more durable DPS by gaining damage reduction every time we use our bread-and-butter attack. But that one aside, we'll likely rotate out on a per-fight basis - Mass Exorcism and/or Double Jeopardy for add fights (depending on how many adds and of what type), Harsh Words for fights with air phases or lots of time outside melee range. Glyph of Avenging Wrath is another strong choice, in my opinion, as it can help our survivability, but you'll have to wait to judge its true value until you get into the raids and can determine if your healers need that particular bit of aid.
    1% hp/2 seconds doesn't seem that "strong" to be fair, only other glyph you'll be using most of the time beside TV will probably be judgement but overall glyphs don't add that much dps-wise outside of possibly exorcism on AoE fights.
    Last edited by Faesroll; 2012-08-19 at 09:48 PM.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    1% hp/2 seconds doesn't seem that "strong" to be fair, ...
    True enough - and especially with no talented/spec-related reduction of the cooldown, it's 10% on a 3min CD. But, again, saving healers some effort is always a good think and I think it's gonna depend on what healer mana and their conservation is like in the Mists raids, once all the dust has settled from Blizz's tuning. If there's something similar to Hagara's lightning phase, it may be a good glyph to have.

BY the way, your sig, one of the few bright spots of the Vong War.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanderhuge View Post
    There are a few glyphs with trade-offs that most likely won't work for sustained damage (Immediate Truth and Inquisition), but Glyph of Double Jeopardy will end up being a mainstay if you can remember to juggle targets with Judgment. Glyph of Harsh Words can also be seen as useful for fights where you need to be out of range of a target for some time.
    I'm rather new to ret paladins, but wouldn't target juggling for judgement be a dps loss? You get 20% from the glyph, but you lose 50% since you don't have any censure stacks? Or is that changed in MoP?

Edit: Seems to be gone in MoP, my mistake!
    Last edited by SirreASDF; 2012-08-20 at 10:29 AM.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirreASDF View Post
    I'm rather new to ret paladins, but wouldn't target juggling for judgement be a dps loss? You get 20% from the glyph, but you lose 50% since you don't have any censure stacks? Or is that changed in MoP?
    Well it would only be a change of target to hit it with a judgement then continue hitting your primary target (unless you must change for encounter reasons). It shouldn't really result in a loss.