Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    This happens with every new MMO. Most vocally with SWTOR (awesome levelling) then people hit level cap and that is where it goes downhill. The initial surge and hype fuels the furnace then the hype dies and people leave with it.

I have purposely not followed the development of this game for that reason. I played the starting experiences and dipped into WvW so I don't spoil it.
    The problem with people that rushed to 50 in SWTOR was that Bioware's unfinished engine they bought was shown in full light at max level(PVP and Raids). But that's another story.

As for GW2, this is the first MMO since Vanilla WoW where I stopped and said, "I actually want to complete this map 100% and see the entire world".
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-08-19 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    Well it is exactly what everyone does in other games... You could argue that games like wow are not played the right way, since most people haven't done all the quests in all the zones. It's gonna be hard to convince people to start doing something they do not enjoy doing in other games simply because it's the only thing you can do in this game.
    Thats the wrong way to look at it tho. Of course people havent done all the quests in all of the zones because questing sucks in other games and thats why nobody likes to do them.

I don't think this game will make me spent 4k hours like WoW did, but the experience in the first month/weeks will be amazing.And for me, the "non-quest" is just bs, i'm going to play it on very low to get 40+fps, so i don't think i'm getting a amazing leveling experience with bad graphics/textures. I bough't because of the sPvP that seems nice, WWW looks interesting and i love to play games in their early stages, launch month.

How much are they paying you, OP?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can definitely see it. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people are going to try and play t just like WoW and get mad because it's a totally different game and then proceed to bash it. But I guess that is good news! Less idiots for me to interact with when I'm playing
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    The game does in fact play very differently than a traditional MMO. On the surface no it looks not that different but thats only if you actually play it like you would any other MMO. I did just that and for the first couple hours of the first BWE and I hated it. I didnt know what to do, where to go, didnt have the UI screaming at me to go here and click the sparkly stuff. Once I realized it was much more like say Skyrim (again I said like, not exactly like) in regards to how you approach the game it fell together and I loved it. You just kind of go here and there, explore and take it all in rather than voraciously look for non existing quest hubs. The game rewards a sandboxy approach to play. It rewards exploration, curiosity and team work while also encouraging thinking outside the box and going your own way. If you play it right you simply explore each zone and find tons of crap to do rather than running from quest hub to quest hub.

In the last BWE for instance I saw area off the beaten path on the map I really hadnt paid any attention to, nor had anyone else best as I could tell. I wandered there simply to see what there was to see. There was no reason to go there other than that and what did I find? a whole series of DE's that spawned simply by my exploring there and interacting with a small NPC camp that I found.

So yes, I do think there is a real risk of people simply "not getting it". In fact I am positive that there is a whole host of people that will out right refuse to get it due to it diverging so strongly from the typical run to the next question mark quest giver. The game is about story, exploration and fun, not about gear, power and lvling so yes there is going to be bitching and flame wars in droves in the coming few weeks.
    Last edited by Vexies; 2012-08-19 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nelly676 View Post
    Not in the sense of purchase...but like...comprehension...

my biggest concern with this game, is that people just wont understand that it isnt like anything else theyve ever played.
    Levels are just like...something you breeze through, expecting an AMAZING end game experiance, its like an adventure, that you can decide what road you take, and have a blast every time.

Meh its just something that crossed my mind. Its something that happens to new things alo.t
    I'm pretty sure 8/10 people getting GW2 won't get it, a lot will be those that are waiting for something to save themselves from WoW which I don't consider a MMORPG. The way people label genre's are incorrect and they assume what they were playing was a MMORPG when it probably is more like Bejeweled and Farmville. GW2 is a MMORPG, you get a sense of satisfaction from exploring the whole world or taking part in a siege NOT completing a level or sets of tasks.

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as they're immersed and enjoying what's giving to them, they'll be fine. If they can't play the game without comparing it to something else, they might not enjoy it as much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Expect people to be disappointed and you'll never be surprised.

Guild Wars 2 isn't a subscription-based MMO though, and with servers being interchangeable, there is really no reason for you as a player to care at all about how many other people are playing the same game as you.

Just focus on actually having fun yourself and accept that other people will probably make judgements you will disagree with.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

The shift in roles takes a bit of getting used to... other than that, the game really is pretty straightforward as far as how to play. I'll be playing this one much like I played Skyrim... gathering, reading everything I can along the way, etc. I'm in no rush, and the game will be far more rewarding because of it.

my biggest concern with this game, is that people just wont understand that it isnt like anything else theyve ever played.
    Really now?
    Why are you concerned with others experience in the game or with it?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    Well it is exactly what everyone does in other games... You could argue that games like wow are not played the right way, since most people haven't done all the quests in all the zones. It's gonna be hard to convince people to start doing something they do not enjoy doing in other games simply because it's the only thing you can do in this game.
    This thread reminds me so much of SWTOR. In SWTOR leveling is the most 'fun' part of the game. Is that true also of GW2? And if it is, uh . . . . . . . . . .?

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    This thread reminds me so much of SWTOR. In SWTOR leveling is the most 'fun' part of the game. Is that true also of GW2? And if it is, uh . . . . . . . . . .?
    I didn't find leveling fun in SWTOR. I know that I was told by the developers that leveling in SWTOR was "revolutionary" and "one of a kind", but I couldn't help feeling like I did this before(WoW/Rift).

As someone who has played both SWTOR and GW2 I can safely say, in my opinion, GW2 questing blows SWTOR's out of the park, but lets not turn this into a game vs game thread, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by Stellan View Post
    I assume that the fun part of leveling in TOR that you mention was actually related to the story aspect and not the leveling and questing itself? Because while the personal stories were quite interesting, the general questing and leveling was pretty generic...the only difference was that instead of reading some text about why you need to kill 10 rats, you got someone telling you in voice why you needed to kill 10 rebels.

While GW2 has you killing stuff as well while leveling up, you don't have to if you don't want to. And while we don't know how Orr will be, if the events that we've encountered is any indicator, then Orr and its level 80 content should be quite interesting.

I am not sure how the "OP" thinks it is unlike anything we have ever played. Unique as an MMO perhaps, but many of the features are present in single player games in one form or another. Obviously GW2 has there own spin on things, but I honestly don't think is is *that* different so much that people won't get it. Some people won't like it, but that isn't the same thing. Comparing it to SWTOR(or similar MMORPG) is somewhat irrelevant because there is no subscription, do what you find fun, when you want to without any pressure of a subscription to make you feel you need to play or get left behind.

Deleted
    Hype will harm it, big time. It could be a masterpiece and many people are going to be let down.
    Last edited by mmoc8a29730aed; 2012-08-20 at 02:40 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe i'm one of those people; Just not having fun playing this game.

Some people won't like the game, there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I am not sure how the "OP" thinks it is unlike anything we have ever played. Unique as an MMO perhaps, but many of the features are present in single player games in one form or another. Obviously GW2 has there own spin on things, but I honestly don't think is is *that* different so much that people won't get it. Some people won't like it, but that isn't the same thing. Comparing it to SWTOR(or similar MMORPG) is somewhat irrelevant because there is no subscription, do what you find fun, when you want to without any pressure of a subscription to make you feel you need to play or get left behind.
    This interestingly enough may prove to be a significant strength. Its not uncomon for single player games to reach a significantly wider audience than the majority of MMO's. Appealing to both demographics could boost the MMO market substantially particularly if future MMO's follow suit.

Who is John Galt?

Not in the sense of purchase...but like...comprehension...

Levels are just like...something you breeze through, expecting an AMAZING end game experiance, its like an adventure, that you can decide what road you take, and have a blast every time.

Meh its just something that crossed my mind. Its something that happens to new things alo.t
    I think people won't get the concept of 'playing to have fun', because TBH the gameplay on its own is not that much fun.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*