Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    I think people won't get the concept of 'playing to have fun', because TBH the gameplay on its own is not that much fun.
    Weather or not the gameplay on its own is fun is pure opinion. I found it quite fun while you seem to have a more lukewarm opinion on the subject. not everybody is going to agree on that one.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think people won't get the concept of 'playing to have fun', because TBH the gameplay on its own is not that much fun.
    I think it may take a while for people coming from other games to get their head around "its fun, not a career" sure, but it IS FUN imo

The game will probably be very painful at first. Once MoP launches, you'll be left with those who genuinely like the experience, and not just those who were filling a void (as in lack of Wow content) or joining friends.

It's the same with most FOTM mmo's that launch. There will be a large influx, general chat will be moronic, and people will 'rush' through the content, get bored and leave, lamenting the lack of post launch features. After they leave, the community is generally much more pleasant, even if you do see the occasional 'this MMO is dying' dissenter.
    Last edited by Kudos; 2012-08-20 at 03:32 AM.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

If someone likes it, they'll keep playing. If they don't like it, they'll stop. Pretty fucking simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    I think it may take a while for people coming from other games to get their head around "its fun, not a career" sure, but it IS FUN imo
    I am probably in the minority here, but IMO very, very few games are genuinely 'fun' when judged by their actual gameplay, mechanics etc. It is the reward of what your get for your battles that is the satisfying part to me. Since GW2 is a game that seems to have gone out of its way to devalue rewards and have it be all about the fun of the actual gameplay, to me it is a game that just lacks that satisfaction factor. If I wanted to just purely have fun without any sense of progression, I would do RL activities.

I think they are taking a risk with this ultra casual approach, especially in light of what has happened to WoW since they adopted that mentality. Not saying it can't be successful, but I question how much long term appeal it can have.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

I am probably in the minority here, but IMO very, very few games are genuinely 'fun' when judged by their actual gameplay, mechanics etc. It is the reward of what your get for your battles that is the satisfying part to me. Since GW2 is a game that seems to have gone out of its way to devalue rewards and have it be all about the fun of the actual gameplay, to me it is a game that just lacks that satisfaction factor. If I wanted to just purely have fun without any sense of progression, I would do RL activities.

I think they are taking a risk with this ultra casual approach, especially in light of what has happened to WoW since they adopted that mentality. Not saying it can't be successful, but I question how much long term appeal it can have.
    first off, if a game has to reward you for playing it something has gone horribly horribly wrong.
    it should be fun to PLAY the game.
    and there are ALOT of games that are fun to play even without any actual reward.

GW2 isn't looking for continued success, its fire and forget.
    not to the way that funcom does fire and forget, which is to hype up a game with a very awesome sounding theme... and then never really deliver.

LOL.. Ok I just had to reply because this made me LOL a lot.

If I wanted to just purely have fun without any sense of progression, I would do RL activities.
    I don't know what your life is like but when I want to actually progress, gain rewards or earn stuff I do that in REAL LIFE. When I want to just have fun and kick back or do something meaningless just to zone out I PLAY GAMES.

LOL... Man, WoW really messes people up.

It still rewards you..but not with things that increase power but rather than things that increase uniqueness(good looking gear), achievements, titles...and once you hit the level cap you can start working on your legendary stuff. You can still play to progress, but not so much in power.

I don't know what your life is like but when I want to actually progress, gain rewards or earn stuff I do that in REAL LIFE. When I want to just have fun and kick back or do something meaningless just to zone out I PLAY GAMES.
    Do you think it is easy to change the mindset of people? The debate of "play for fun" vs "play for rewards" reminds me the debate if pandas are silly or not. In both cases you cannot change the others view we are not 5 years old and in the process to build our personality. If someone cannot have fun by just playing the game and need a carrot to hunt every 3-5 months he cannot change now..If I see pandas silly and you see them ferocious, I cannot make you see them silly nor you can make me see them ferocious. We are adults and pretty much our personalities/experiences are solid.

Blizzard said that before LFR tool only 8-10% of the players was raiding..even after LFR, where everyone and the most new player could raid in success still they said that now only 25% of people raid. You will be surprised that the majority of the people like leveling alts, collecting pets, doing achievements, farm gear for transmogrification or simple login to chat with friends. What wow offer to these players ATM? Dailies and a very old and trivial level up. I believe that these players will have much more fun playing GW2 if they make the decision to try it. Regardless to what you think, even now wow is built around hardcore players. The casual don't want a ridiculous easy raiding, he wants lot of things to do out of raid..he wants an epic leveling experience, he wants lot of mini games and lot of unique sets to play around..a casual don't want to reach max level as fast as he can because he pretty much knows that there is where the game end for him..the fast leveling is built for hardcores that they only care to raid and loot epics and see anything else in the game as time sink.
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-20 at 08:46 AM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    People that rush to 80 that quickly should get a week ban for stupidity.
    This line here I honestly don't understand.
    Just because they're quick, they should be banned?

I've free and nothing to do the entire next week (semester break) and if the game is any good I expect my first character reaching Lv80 in this time.
    Why does that even matter? All I may "miss" I can do on Lv80 the same way. Hi@downscaling.
    In fact I can do even more than most people because I will have acces to every single area of this game.
    I will not rest until I have every single heart, vista, waypoint, PoI and skill challenge unlocked.
    Last edited by Mistral; 2012-08-20 at 08:56 AM.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

I think most of whoever'll have a problem in GW2 are from a limited video game background. The only thing new about GW2 is that it's an amalgamation of assorted video game mechanics.

I guess perhaps I'm one that doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    It still rewards you..but not with things that increase power but rather than things that increase uniqueness(good looking gear), achievements, titles...and once you hit the level cap you can start working on your legendary stuff. You can still play to progress, but not so much in power.
    I've seen this said a number of times in this forum about GW2 and don't understand it. I only played the stress tests, but I could have sworn I was getting items that upgraded my power. My weapons and armor I got as I leveled had higher numbers on them. Is that not a sense of gear progression? My health at level 10 was about 700, when I hopped into WvWvW and bumped up to 80 it was 14,000. There's obviously a fairly big power jump there. Even at 80, there are 3 levels of gear you can have, so there is still gear progression there too (and within those sets there are different stats to optimize for your build). It may not be as extreme as other games, but to say that it doesn't exist isn't doing the game any favors. People are going to read "No gear progression!" then they actually play the game and when it's similar to other MMOs they'll feel lied to and resent the game and its community. GW2 has enough other good features that there's no need to claim it's something it's not.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2012-08-20 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I guess perhaps I'm one that doesn't get it.

I've seen this said a number of times in this forum about GW2 and don't understand it. I only played the stress tests, but I could have sworn I was getting items that upgraded my power. My weapons and armor I got as I leveled had higher numbers on them. Is that not a sense of gear progression? My health at level 10 was about 700, when I hopped into WvWvW and bumped up to 80 it was 14,000. There's obviously a fairly big power jump there. Even at 80, there are 3 levels of gear you can have, so there is still gear progression there too (and within those sets there are different stats to optimize for your build). It may not be as extreme as other games, but to say that it doesn't exist isn't doing the game any favors. People are going to read "No gear progression!" then they actually play the game and when it's similar to other MMOs they'll feel lied to and resent the game and its community. GW2 has enough other good features that there's no need to claim it's something it's not.
    Yes of course at level 80 you increase in power but also increase the power of the mobs..you will not fight a level 50 mob while you are at level 80. But regardless this , I was talking about gear progression at max level, where people tend to think is the "end game". The difference between a rare piece of gear (that you can instantly buy from a vendor or get a full set by doing a dungeon 2 times) is minimal with the Exotic armor which is the best armor in the game(there are some legendary pieces but are pretty much equal with exotic in power if I heard right)...and still exotic armor can be obtained very quickly and also can be crafted. So pretty much even someone that hit level 80 now will have minimal difference in power(from gear not skill) from someone that maybe is 80 level for months...to compare a level 10 with a level 80 character isn't vial as you cannot find them in a place at the same time...
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-20 at 10:20 AM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account

There is plenty of rewards? As for fun , well i play games for fun, not because i want to give up life and commit to raids etc and so on to feel rewarded.

WoW has really done a number on millions of players, indoctrinating its way of gameplay aswell as what you are suppose to think is fun and what is not.
    Ofcourse there will be people with a hard time adjusting to this. We already see them today, asking for the holy trinity back, gear threadmills, and saying they are underleveld or die to easily because they try to play the game like WoW.

Deleted
    ill buy it about a years time when its cheap, unfortunately it didn't really grab me in beta.

Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    I fully expect to see level 80's in chat saying there're bored and the game sucks a week after the game comes out.
    I can see this as well. I can also see a bunch of threads in this forum saying the exact same thing. Also backed up with "not enough endgame, I'm going back to WoW" or soemthign like that.

I will try to take my time, but I have the feeling I will be spending every spare moment I have playing this game. luckily I plan to have legendary weapons and dominate in WvW. So even getting to level 80 it won't be an issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    WoW has really done a number on millions of players, indoctrinating its way of gameplay aswell as what you are suppose to think is fun and what is not.
    Ofcourse there will be people with a hard time adjusting to this. We already see them today, asking for the holy trinity back, gear threadmills, and saying they are underleveld or die to easily because they try to play the game like WoW.
    what a load of horseshit, i like wow because i FOUND it fun first time i played it, was there somebody from blizzard in my room indoctrinating me into a way of thinking in almost an instant ? if not i wouldn't have found it fun and wouldn't still be playing.

Of course there will be those who don't comprehend.

Log into WoW, join WSG, ask everyone how long they played, then watch people in midfield. BTW you lost that match.

As a matter of fact, one of the things I don't agree with ANet on is the addition of levels. The way they added them (and especially that number : 80) gives the very wrong impression that leveling matters in the game. Leveling happens in the game as a result of you doing whatever you want to do, and that's the concept I feel most people have a hard time grasping. Leveling is not a goal in itself, and as such reaching level 80 has no consequences on available activities, there is no "Before level 80" and "After level 80". I think they should have gone with a different mechanic for gaining skill points (which is the only thing "levels" are used for really). I always wonder what ANet could have done if there were no pre-established mechanics in the MMO genre, a lot of their decisions were only made to avoid turning off people that were afraid of change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    I can see this as well. I can also see a bunch of threads in this forum saying the exact same thing. Also backed up with "not enough endgame, I'm going back to WoW" or soemthign like that.
    End game is not done yet. They said the want to get the launch sorted with then work on the end game. So, don't rush to max level everyone !

Source: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/...nticators-gvg/