Page 26 of 53 FirstFirst ...
16
24
25
26
27
28
36
... LastLast
  1. #501
    Quote Originally Posted by keese View Post
    Proof of his undying knowledge of ARPGs? He literally mastered the genre with Diablo 1 and 2. He created them.
    Actually Diablo is a mash up of 2 ye olde games. Gauntlet, and Atic Atac. Gauntlet was an arcade top down ARPG classic and Atic Atac was a 3d esque wireframe exploring, castle game on the Spectrum that featured a different map depending on which player you chose. There's nothing original under the sun.

    Brevik along with Condor actually were making a turn based RPG with Claymation animation techinques. Every other publisher they approached thought they were nuts and told them no way. Blizzard and Condor bumped into each other while working on console ports of a SF2 clone based on comic superheros and Condor asked Blizz to publish diablo, Blizz agreed and made them change their turn based claymation game into a real time Action 3d isometic game or no deal. It turned out so good they bought out Condor entirely.

    Also Blizzard North was shut down for a reason, Brevik and other key developers left Blizzard North.
    Brevik and the Schaefer brothers resigned from Blizzard after Blizzard told them their MMO D3 was terrible and to change it or else. They handed in their resignations over this expecting Blizzard to back down. Blizzard didn't back down.

  2. #502
    The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
    Actually Diablo is a mash up of 2 ye olde games. Gauntlet, and Atic Atac. Gauntlet was an arcade top down ARPG classic and Atic Atac was a 3d esque wireframe exploring, castle game on the Spectrum that featured a different map depending on which player you chose. There's nothing original under the sun.

    Brevik along with Condor actually were making a turn based RPG with Claymation animation techinques. Every other publisher they approached thought they were nuts and told them no way. Blizzard and Condor bumped into each other while working on console ports of a SF2 clone based on comic superheros and Condor asked Blizz to publish diablo, Blizz agreed and made them change their turn based claymation game into a real time Action 3d isometic game or no deal. It turned out so good they bought out Condor entirely.



    Brevik and the Schaefer brothers resigned from Blizzard after Blizzard told them their MMO D3 was terrible and to change it or else. They handed in their resignations over this expecting Blizzard to back down. Blizzard didn't back down.
    MMO huh? News to me, A diablo mmo sounds actually pretty horrible lol

  3. #503
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
    Brevik and the Schaefer brothers resigned from Blizzard after Blizzard told them their MMO D3 was terrible and to change it or else. They handed in their resignations over this expecting Blizzard to back down. Blizzard didn't back down.
    Noone is irreplaceable... Oh snap!

    Edit
    How can they do a MMO D3 game befor D3 was in development :S
    Last edited by studkaw; 2012-08-21 at 04:46 PM.

  4. #504
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    MMO huh? News to me, A diablo mmo sounds actually pretty horrible lol
    well isn't that what the current team turned D3 into....Online Only Nerf after Nerf.....i could keep going but what is the point lol.

    also loaded with bots.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-08-21 at 04:47 PM.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  5. #505
    Legendary! Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,960
    Quote Originally Posted by keese View Post
    Proof of his undying knowledge of ARPGs? He literally mastered the genre with Diablo 1 and 2. He created them. Also Blizzard North was shut down for a reason, Brevik and other key developers left Blizzard North. There was no talent there and the D3 that was in development didn't meet expectations so they shut down Blizz North. Learn your history before you bash people you know nothing about.
    Actually its you, who needs to learn the history of diablo. Once again I direct you to the official blizzard video on youtube that explains just how wrong you are. Thanks for trying though.

  6. #506
    If Jay Wilson was clever and classy, his response would have been something like:

    "It's flattering that Mr. Brevik still has time to keep up with what his old friends are doing. For our part, we hope he continues to have the success he's enjoyed since leaving Blizzard".

  7. #507
    Perspective has a lot to do with Brevik's interview. A lot of it did boil down to "I/my team would have done it better." Honest constructive criticism doesn't include bits about how their team would have done it better, it simply mentions methods in which it could be improved upon. If he had focused his comments on the problems and left out all the stuff about how the D3 team didn't do it the way, or as well as, "his team" would have I doubt it would have provoked as negative a response from the D3 team. The only time you criticize someone else's piece of work like that is in an effort to promote your own, which he blatantly did in the interview.

    That said, Wilson's response was more than a little unprofessional.

    I'd also like to note, before anyone tries throwing the "fanboy" title at me, I haven't played WoW in years and I struggled to keep D3 installed on my computer just to play with my friends that hadn't seen the mess that Inferno was.
    Last edited by Xenofreak; 2012-08-21 at 04:54 PM.

  8. #508
    Scarab Lord Asmodias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,414
    So I finally listened to the Brevik interview and I have to admit, he was pretty tactful in what he said. To me though, it's not how he said it, but what he was saying.

    This is solely my interpretation.

    It felt like Brevik was essentially telling them (Blizzard South) that they were worthless (in terms of making an ARPG) without him (Brevik) and the team from Blizzard North.

    Only Jay Wilson knows how Jay Wilson interpreted what David Brevik said.

    This next bit is hypothetical at the very least...

    If Jay Wilson interpreted the interview as I did... now you have a Designer, who hasn't made anything spectacular since parting ways with Blizzard, telling you that you and your team "Suck".

    This leads to frustration and from there, we do stupid things... like posting on facebook.

    Brevik is very much entitled to the opinion he has. I can't fault him for that. Wilson made a sloppy play of it in a potentially public forum.

    I think an apology from Wilson to Brevik is warranted and that is that. Nothing more needs to come of it.

    *Edit* Huzzah, I am not the only one who interpreted the interview the way I explained. For a moment I thought I was going to be alone in that thinking.
    Last edited by Asmodias; 2012-08-21 at 04:58 PM.


    Retired | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

  9. #509
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    His knowledge is D1 and D2 and the massive amount of players that remember playing those games and longing for that to happen again.

    The staying power and nostalgia that was brought on by the diablo franchise under Brevik and his team. The massive following, to which I bet you are one as well, for a game series that spanned over a decade.
    Hitting a golden nugget once in awhile doesn't make somebody a superstar. Do you know what makes Kobe Bryant a great athlete? It's not the fact that he rode a dream team to success once, it's the fact that he's won a championship five times. Why do we keep giving Brevik credit for having one good idea, when in almost any industry, having one big success, one big breakthrough, or one big hit doesn't make you great. They're called one-hit wonders for a reason, and this guy fits the description of that to a T.

    As for nostalgia, that's not always a good thing. It's great to live in the past, but it's better to move on. The reason so many people see Diablo 3 as a massive failure is because they were comparing it to Diablo 2, and had unreasonable expectations. However, people such as myself who never even played Diablo and barely played Diablo 2 actually enjoyed D3. It was a fun experience, well worth the money. Do I still play it? No, because I get bored with video games very easily. But to say it was a terrible game is a complete and utter lie, because it was not.

    Also, I don't think Diablo 2 had as big a following as you and other people keep insisting.
    Doesn't matter if he became a sheep farmer. His past diablo games are nothing short of amazing.
    No, it means he is riding his old successes and not bothering to build on it. It's annoying to see someone who got a slam dunk ten years ago still talking it up and acting like he knows everything about the industry.

    D3 has little in common with the diablo games of the past and the player base they created. The past diablo games are why we longed for D3. Gamers were let down.
    Only hardcore Diablo fans were let down, and that's a shame. Let's face it, a majority of people who bought Diablo 3 were never going to be hardcore. That's why they're called "hardcore," because they do things and stick to games way past their prime.


    I just don't understand all this hate towards the guy. I'm guessing that he thought this was a private post, or that Chris' profile was private. I don't know about you, but my Facebook profile is set so that, unless you're friends with me (and I'm very picky about accepting friends), you can't see a damn thing on my page. There is no real way for Jay to check that this guy's profile was private, so he probably went ahead and posted. Was it stupid? Well, maybe. But you can't fault the guy for making an assumption. It's the same situation as the Southwest Airlines pilot who got into trouble because what he assumed was a private conversation was broadcast in public. During a normal day at work, I talk a ridiculous amount of shit about this and that and everything, and if most of that talk got out of the workplace or to the higher ups I would probably be in trouble. I think we all do. The trick is in believing that you're in a private setting, which is all that happened with Mr. Wilson here. It's no different than having a conversation in a restaurant and some rabid Diablo 2 fanboy overhearing him. Literally NO difference here.

    This is just a case of people jumping to the defense of someone that they have no vested interest in. I see it everyday at work, where you insult someone, and suddenly all of that person's friends are angry at you because of hearsay and other garbage. The people on these forums literally have NO right to be mad at Jay Wilson for this post. It's all arrogance, that they somehow know how people should act in public, and that their word is God and we should all obey, lest we be punished.

  10. #510
    Scarab Lord Asmodias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,414
    Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    Noone is irreplaceable... Oh snap!

    Edit
    How can they do a MMO D3 game befor D3 was in development :S
    I think the idea is that instead of the diablo 3 we got, the next title would have been a diablo MMO. It would still have been the third game in the series and most likely would have carried the Diablo 3 name in some fashion.


    Retired | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

  11. #511
    Herald of the Titans Ratyrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,569
    Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    Noone is irreplaceable... Oh snap!

    Edit
    How can they do a MMO D3 game befor D3 was in development :S
    After Diablo II, Blizzard North split into two teams, one working on LoD, the other working on "a Blizzard North kinda game" noone knows anything about apart from the people actually at Blizzard North. After LoD launched, they began working on Diablo III, which, according to Max Schaefer (who has been about 1000x more professional and friendly towards the Diablo III team in his interviews than Brevik was in his), was supposed to be a large-scale 3D MMO with instancing. There are a couple of screenshots/mock ups of what it was going to look like. Vivendi, Blizzard's publisher at that time, didn't like these plans for whatever reasons - they have never been stated as far as I know - maybe they didn't want Blizzard working on two mmos simultaneously? The result was that most of Blizzard North left the company with most of the remaining employees being absorbed into Blizzard in Irvine.
    Last edited by Ratyrel; 2012-08-21 at 05:05 PM.

  12. #512
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    So I finally listened to the Brevik interview and I have to admit, he was pretty tactful in what he said. To me though, it's not how he said it, but what he was saying.

    This is solely my interpretation.

    It felt like Brevik was essentially telling them (Blizzard South) that they were worthless (in terms of making an ARPG) without him (Brevik) and the team from Blizzard North.

    Only Jay Wilson knows how Jay Wilson interpreted what David Brevik said.

    This next bit is hypothetical at the very least...

    If Jay Wilson interpreted the interview as I did... now you have a Designer, who hasn't made anything spectacular since parting ways with Blizzard, telling you that you and your team "Suck".

    This leads to frustration and from there, we do stupid things... like posting on facebook.

    Brevik is very much entitled to the opinion he has. I can't fault him for that. Wilson made a sloppy play of it in a potentially public forum.

    I think an apology from Wilson to Brevik is warranted and that is that. Nothing more needs to come of it.

    *Edit* Huzzah, I am not the only one who interpreted the interview the way I explained. For a moment I thought I was going to be alone in that thinking.
    No I pretty much interpreted the interview the same way, and I didn't even watch the video. It's clear that Brevik is looking down on the D3 developing team and thinks he could have done a better job, and he makes no attempt to hide his arrogance. I think Jay just made a snap decision after reading that interview, made a comment, realized that the conversation wasn't private too late, and even made attempts to cover his tracks.

    An apology isn't needed IMO. The only thing we have here are screenshots of a conversation that may / may not have taken place. To apologize would be to admit that you said anything, and it just keeps the talk going on longer.

  13. #513
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    No I pretty much interpreted the interview the same way, and I didn't even watch the video. It's clear that Brevik is looking down on the D3 developing team and thinks he could have done a better job, and he makes no attempt to hide his arrogance. I think Jay just made a snap decision after reading that interview, made a comment, realized that the conversation wasn't private too late, and even made attempts to cover his tracks.

    An apology isn't needed IMO. The only thing we have here are screenshots of a conversation that may / may not have taken place. To apologize would be to admit that you said anything, and it just keeps the talk going on longer.
    Blizzard has yet to say the conversation was a fake so that shows it was real...cause you know blizzard would not say its real.

    also with the blues deleting any thread related to the conversation proves it as well.

    Personally i think blizzard is trying to get a RP story together to blow this over or maybe ignore it and hope it go's away cause its killing there whole D3-Patch 1.04 this week buzz
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2012-08-21 at 05:12 PM.
    My PC: Intel Core i5-4690K|16GB DDR3-1600|1TB HD|EVGA GeForce GTX 1070
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

  14. #514
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    SNIP....


    An apology isn't needed IMO. The only thing we have here are screenshots of a conversation that may / may not have taken place. To apologize would be to admit that you said anything, and it just keeps the talk going on longer.
    Are you trying to say Jay Wilson didn't say what he did?

  15. #515
    Jay Wilson should be fired for many reasons, and this was just the icing on the cake.

  16. #516
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Are you trying to say Jay Wilson didn't say what he did?
    No. Maybe I phrased my original post wrong. My point was more that Jay said what he did, realized he made a mistake and deleted it. Why does he need to come out and apologize for it now? Deleting it should serve enough as an apology.

    And besides, does an apology really make everyone feel better? It doesn't change what happened. Apologies are just another trait of our pussified world.

  17. #517
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowalixi View Post
    No. Maybe I phrased my original post wrong. My point was more that Jay said what he did, realized he made a mistake and deleted it. Why does he need to come out and apologize for it now? Deleting it should serve enough as an apology.

    And besides, does an apology really make everyone feel better? It doesn't change what happened. Apologies are just another trait of our pussified world.
    exactly. I don't know why people expect him to apologize for anything.. It won't change anything he did and I'm sure David doesn't even care/know what is making all of these people so pissed.

    I think I'm the one of the few people that sees this as it is. These people are still regular people and to them they aren't any more special than the rest of is. They are people too and have their own drama. People tend to forget that it wasn't just Jay that said stuff in response to David's interview.. most of the people on that post were saying negative comments. They obviously have some kind of problem with David. Oh. Well. David made a shit series anyways. I didn't like Diablo until 3 came out and I know there are actually some people who agree with me.

  18. #518
    Yea its real. Jay sounds like a crybaby to say that. I mean, the guy said it in the nicest way possible. "Hey guys you did great but there are things that could have been better." Comming from someone who made it possible for them to even make D3, the response should have been "Thanks, you made a difficult legacy to live up too." Then he would have been able to walk away like a BOSS.

  19. #519
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    Hell, if he has done nothing it would be better than what Jay is doing.
    Word up ++++

  20. #520
    Quote Originally Posted by strangerdanger View Post
    exactly. I don't know why people expect him to apologize for anything.. It won't change anything he did and I'm sure David doesn't even care/know what is making all of these people so pissed.

    I think I'm the one of the few people that sees this as it is. These people are still regular people and to them they aren't any more special than the rest of is. They are people too and have their own drama. People tend to forget that it wasn't just Jay that said stuff in response to David's interview.. most of the people on that post were saying negative comments. They obviously have some kind of problem with David. Oh. Well. David made a shit series anyways. I didn't like Diablo until 3 came out and I know there are actually some people who agree with me.
    Yeah people tend to forget that whether they're in the public eye or not, these people are still people. Which is why I don't understand why there are still news stories over celebrity outbursts, or someone saying something racist / insensitive in public.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingj56 View Post
    Yea its real. Jay sounds like a crybaby to say that. I mean, the guy said it in the nicest way possible. "Hey guys you did great but there are things that could have been better." Comming from someone who made it possible for them to even make D3, the response should have been "Thanks, you made a difficult legacy to live up too." Then he would have been able to walk away like a BOSS.
    No he didn't. The guy pretty much crapped all over the D3 team without directly mentioning it. When you disagree with the way a game is made, as a professional, you say simply "I feel they went in a different direction than what was expected. Whether that turns out in their favor, or whether Diablo 3 can live up to D2's legacy will remain to be seen, and may not be known for years to come."

    BAM. I just stated everything he did without insulting anyone.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •