Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

many one tank fights in MOP 10 man raids ?

have been the OT in my guild's 10 man raids for a while now. if there is a 1 tank boss, i have to switch to my off spec, which i kinda dislike.

anyone know how many of the MOP raid encounters require 2 tanks (in 10 man)?

10+ Year Old Account
    10 man will always have more 1 tank fights, but 25 Man is a different story!
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    imo... 10m should always be 2 tanks, with random fights needing a short OT (think new lock thing)

25man should require 3-4 depending on the fights with maybe small parts for a subtank....

it's just that... with how few tanks are required in raiding, people wonder why there are never enough tanks in LFG que's?

1 tank - 1 healer - 3 dps
    2 tanks- 5 healers 18 dps?
    2 tanks cover 6x the amount of dps'ers and 5x the amount of healers as a 5 man (this ofc means tanks will be less represented in 5 mans compared to anyone else que'ing)
    this gets even more skewed for 1 tank fights as well...

(suggested: 4 tanks 5 healers 16 dps *this would be 1 tank per 4 dps, versus 1 tank per 3 dps in 5mans)

idk just how i see it, but creating encounters that req more than 2 tanks might be to challenging for Blizzard, lets just have them take the easy way out more and more)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

As far as I can tell there are quite a few fights that apply debufs and need tank swaps, then there are the council/add fights which require an off tank.

I can only really think of maybe 3 bosses I saw that were one tanked, perhaps I'm wrong.

I prefer the idea of having some 10 man fights in wow. I love tanking and have been doing it for a long time but nothing beats giving the dps a run for their money in an off spec

I enjoyed the 10man content in Cata wrath and TBC.

I didnt tank back in wrath and TBC only had an alt tank in raids in wrath and went full time tank in cata. During cata magmaw was a LOT of fun as a dk on normal mode (kiting like a boss!) on heroic I ended up on the boss with our offtank dealing with adds (paladin off tank me as DK)

We also switched it up, On fights like atremedes I would main tank it as my dps was not that great (I suck as DK dps specs tbh) and the paladin would DPS. On magmaw I kited he tanked (heroic we both tanked). Chimeron we both took turns to tank first in heroic etc. (depending if army was up for the next fight etc) Alakir again we switched it up some times I tank others it was the paladin. I remember the council fight in BOT, I always tanked the guy on the far left as my AMS soaked his fire damage and the paladin dealt with the other guy and then we swapped bosses for phase 2. on phase 3 he tanked first while I was quickly casting AOD. On halfus heroic I remember doing whelps + 2 drake tanking while he grabbed halfus.

the main thing is to have a good tanking relationship with the other tank. Mix things up, let them dps some fights if its a 1 tank fight and another time you dps and let them tank etc.

im looking forward to MOP LFR though since most of my mates quit wow (unless I find a casual raiding guild if I want to go into normal/heroic at some point)

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    imo... 10m should always be 2 tanks, with random fights needing a short OT (think new lock thing)

25man should require 3-4 depending on the fights with maybe small parts for a subtank....
    Oooh I support it! Hate DS tanking since so many fights are immoblie 1 tank fights.. Loved T11/T12 where both tanks had work to do, tank swapping, picking up adds, moving a lot.. This are the fights I want in MoP!
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

i
    idk just how i see it, but creating encounters that req more than 2 tanks might be to challenging for Blizzard, lets just have them take the easy way out more and more)
    Blizzard making completely new and interesting raid mechanics that challenge players in what should be the harder content to complete? (10 should be easy, while 25 should remain more difficult, due to the addition of more fight mechanics and/or adds and health scales)

Preposterous! That would mean that players would not be able to see the content! What a ludicrous idea.

Rather than creating a new thread I thought I'd respond to this semi-abandoned one in which the topic was never answered.

Does anybody know which encounters on 10-man only require one tank?

)
    The reason 25man doesnt require more tanks than 10man anymore is because the encounters are supposed to be balanced. Its a lot harder to balance encounters if there are extra mechanics in larger raid sizes.

I dont know for sure but I would think most encounters will requie 2 tanks with 1-2 per tier only needing one.

Deleted
    Mogu'shan Vaults (Kun-Lai Summit)
    The Stone Guard - 2 Tank
    Feng the Accursed - 2 Tank
    Gara'jal the Spiritbinder - 2 Tank
    The Spirit Kings - Pretty sure it's one tank on normal, possibly 2 on HC as you can have multiple adds up
    Elegon - 2 Tank
    Will of the Emperor - 2 Tank

Heart of Fear (Dread Wastes)
    Imperial Vizier Zor'lok - 1 Tank Normal/2 HC
    Blade Lord Ta'yak - 2 Tank
    Garalon - Can possibly get away with plate DPS rather than tanks on normal never tested it, it'd be much easier just to have 2 tanks though.
    Wind Lord Mel'jarak - Too many adds/boss for one tank, so 2.
    Amber-Shaper Un'sok - Unsure how many are required, since not sure how gimmicky you can play with the adds
    Grand Empress Shek'zeer - 2 Tank

Terrace of Endless Spring (Valley of the Four Winds)
    Protectors of the Endless - 2 Tank
    Tsulong - 2 Tank
    Lei Shi - 2 Tank
    Sha of Fear - 2 Tank

Thank you Zyalo, just what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Zyalo has it right. I have to agree spirit kings hc will probably be 2 tanked. And I think it's better to 2 tank Garalon unless you can 1 tank it on HC, why get used to doing it a different way when youll have to 2 tank it a few weeks later on a harder mode.

That said there might be some fights on HC where 3 tanks is an advantage, IF you can make the dps check with 3 tanks.
    - Stone Guard, probably possible dps wise but probably also not very hard tuned so you could be fine with having 2 guards on 1 tank.
    - Wind Lord if the tanks get enough vengeance to do good dps (since aoe will be atleast somewhat effective boss dps as well due to the debuff).
    - Protectors of the Endless though i don't think it's viable, 3 protectors means 2 on 1 tank, downside however is that the 3rd tank will do bad dps once 1 of the protectors dies and the fight and dps check gets harder later in the fight.
    - Lei Shi, tank damadge has been brutal on HC testing and due to the debuff mechanic having an extra tank allows for taking less stacks. However being one of the last bosses in the tier I highly doubt this will be viable dps check wise and you'll just have to find a way to manage the damadge with 2 tanks.

Amber Shaper in it's current incanation is 2 tank btw, in p1 only tanks get chosen for the construct meaning there will nearly always be a tank in a construct and you need another to tank the boss. And in p2 there are 2 mobs that need tanking probably forcing 2 tanks due to damadge intake.

So in short on 10 man nearly every fight will be 2 tanked, with some 1 tank on normal. And a potential for some strats with 3 tanks on hc, though most seem a bit sketchy.

In 25 mans I wouldn't be suprised to see 3 or even 4 tanks for some fights though. 25 man bosses have been hitting very hard throughout raid testing and it's less of a raid dps% loss to have a dps go tank, especially with Blizz wanting 25 man tanks to get more vengeance.

How about 25man raiding?

Any 3 Tank fights ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyothe View Post
    How about 25man raiding?

Any 3 Tank fights ?
    Stone Guard. May even be better as 4 tank but that's optional and tactic dependant you require 3 though.

t14 is 16 bosses?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    t14 is 16 bosses?
    Yep 16 bosses +2 world bosses for a total of 18

Quote Originally Posted by cwillia View Post
    Yep 16 bosses +2 world bosses for a total of 18
    Well if it's anything like T11 difficulty, then that'll be exhausting. I remember our guild took at least until May to get Sinestra down, and we were one of the top 10man guilds in the US, top 10 iirc.

So yeah, exhausting good luck to you all for that excruciating tier.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    A better question (but maybe it should go to Blizzard) will be... how many of those are truly 2 tank encounters? Because taunt-on-debuff bosses are getting quite a bit old, considering how dreadful is the role of being the tank waiting to taunt back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    A better question (but maybe it should go to Blizzard) will be... how many of those are truly 2 tank encounters? Because taunt-on-debuff bosses are getting quite a bit old, considering how dreadful is the role of being the tank waiting to taunt back.
    The minority.