Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I'll like to know how many people voted. only 100 people? not that impressive, 100,000 people? now we're talking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    I'll like to know how many people voted. only 100 people? not that impressive, 100,000 people? now we're talking.
    Said the same thing myself.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donair View Post
    Well they'll plummet soon as the 25th hits and it'll be no going back once the raiding begins was the point . At least until about halfway through the inevitable WoW content drought. At which point maybe some life will return to GW2 but based on the fanatical devotion to DS raiding I've seen in my guild who knows.
    Once people get a taste of Tyria, it's reeeeaaaalllyy hard to go back. You begin to realize that WoW was merely boot camp, that this is the real deal ;-)

Seriously though, some raiders will go back for loyalty to their guilds, the PvPers will stay (especially once they see the pre-MoP patch), people that don't raid and like all the transmutation, pets, mini-games, etc will stay, the rest of us will just be starting to knock down the doors to Orr, and ANet has committed to managing server pops.

I'm not the least concerned.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2012-08-20 at 10:41 PM.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Ok, can I just say this, since it's been brought up: People making fun of Pandas and saying it's stupid... Since when has warcraft ever not been stupid? That's where the charm comes from! That's why I'd sit in Warcraft 3 clicking the units and giggling at their jokes. That's why funny quests were introduced. That's why there were funny moments in the MoP trailer. I think that the only thing worse than people hating WoW because of pandas is people defending pandas as a 100% serious design choice. It's not. It's meant to be light hearted and funny, Warcraft has been light hearted and funny since the early 2000s and my favourite part of Cataclysm was the fact it started bringing these little in-jokes, mockeries and farces to vanilla zones.
    http://nilsmmoblog.blogspot.gr/2011/...ious-game.html

I just fully agree with his article...TL;DR it was never 100% serious but the core of the game was serious..now the core of the game is silly/funny...and before the "cows are more silly than pandas" http://nilsmmoblog.blogspot.gr/2011/...than-cows.html . these 2 posts of this guy is awesome , is like he read my mind :P
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2012-08-20 at 10:45 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanibull View Post
    And in case you meant lively colored characters, here's my lvl 10 asura guardian.

I know it seems silly to say, but ugh, I can't stand the way the Asura look. Every screenshot of them is just a complete turn off for me. The just freak me out-- reminds me of Jar Jar Binks, somehow.

Don't worry, I see the hypocrisy in saying that and still loving WoW. I'm at least consistent enough to hate gnomes, though.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2012-08-20 at 10:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    http://nilsmmoblog.blogspot.gr/2011/...ious-game.html

I just fully agree with his article...TL;DR it was never 100% serious but the core of the game was serious..now the core of the game is silly/funny...and before the "cows are more silly than pandas" http://nilsmmoblog.blogspot.gr/2011/...than-cows.html . these 2 posts of this guy is awesome , is like he read my mind :P
    I agree with the first, but not with the second. Everything about Pandaren perfectly matches what little lore we had for them back in WC3. Has nothing to do with Kung Fu Panda. Especially in regards to the "kung fu panda" pose. That crane pose is a staple of kung fu - you really can't do kung fu and not show somebody doing a crane stance. To use GC's words, as much as I hate the argument as a Shaman that saw Druids using storm-themed spells... it's iconic.

---------- Post added 2012-08-20 at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    I know it seems silly to say, but ugh, I can't stand the way the Asura look. Every screenshot of them is just a complete turn off for me. The just freak me out-- reminds me of Jar Jar Binks, somehow.
    Most of their face options look either derpy, or just plain ugly. There was exactly one face option that I actually liked. Okay, maybe two.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-20 at 10:52 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really excited for GW2 and I even voted for it, but I'm still surprised that it won since it was going up against a lot of really good games as well. I didn't think GW2 was that popular. AN didn't release any more trailers or has advertised themselves the way other companies for AAA games have (not complaining) and I know it's because they simply might not want to, but I thought because of this a lot of people wouldn't know much of the game.

I mean, even on Reddit I've seen threads of people saying that they pre-purchased/ordered the game and then proceed to ask for more information about the game, like they didn't do any research prior.

I guess it also depends on how many people voted, perhaps. But either way, it's fantastic for its fan-base.
    Last edited by Javey; 2012-08-20 at 10:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Javey View Post
    I'm really excited for GW2 and I even voted for it, but I'm still surprised that it won since it was going up against a lot of really good games as well. I didn't think GW2 was that popular. AN didn't release any more trailers or has advertised themselves the way other companies for AAA games have (not complaining) and I know it's because they simply night not want to, but I thought because of this a lot of people wouldn't know much of the game.
    Especially Assassin's Creed 3. I'm extremely excited to see how the story ends, especially after the ending in Brotherhood. After all, for all of Revelations, Desmond was stuck in the Animus in a sort of pseudo-coma. All we know is that Lucy is dead and when he woke up, he was with his father, wherever the special coordinates for one of the temples led to.

AN didn't release any more trailers or has advertised themselves the way other companies for AAA games have (not complaining) and I know it's because they simply night not want to, but I thought because of this a lot of people wouldn't know much of the game.
    I doubt we'll see a cinematic trailer like the MoP one. I think AN themselves said they would prefer to use the money elsewhere than on a flashy trailer. good for them although I do like the WoW trailers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Especially Assassin's Creed 3. I'm extremely excited to see how the story ends, especially after the ending in Brotherhood. After all, for all of Revelations, Desmond was stuck in the Animus in a sort of pseudo-coma. All we know is that Lucy is dead and when he woke up, he was with his father, wherever the special coordinates for one of the temples led to.
    Yes, I'm still beating Revelations, trying to beat it before the 25th, and I'm just very eager to know what happens to him even though I do find the moments I play as Desmond to be a bit dull compared to Enzio.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious
    I doubt we'll see a cinematic trailer like the MoP one. I think AN themselves said they would prefer to use the money elsewhere than on a flashy trailer. good for them although I do like the WoW trailers.
    I've always loved Blizzard's trailers, and I guess there's still a small hope for another trailer for GW2, I mean, we still have those images of the eye and a female swimming in the water. Maybe it's a opening cinematic that plays when you first open up GW2 after launch? I don't know. :O

I've always loved Blizzard's trailers, and I guess there's still a small hope for another trailer for GW2, I mean, we still have those images of the eye and a female swimming in the water. Maybe it's a opening cinematic that plays when you first open up GW2 after launch? I don't know. :O
    http://huntersinsight.com/2012/08/20...you-did-there/

Very possible imo :P
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Never doubted that GW2 would win this poll honestly.
    It may be suprising how much it gained upon its pursuers, but the outcome itself was never questionable imho.
    The advance could've been even greater, if hey just had asked actual participants of the exhibition. The GW2 hype in germany is huuuuuge.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by Donair View Post
    Well they'll plummet soon as the 25th hits and it'll be no going back once the raiding begins was the point . At least until about halfway through the inevitable WoW content drought. At which point maybe some life will return to GW2 but based on the fanatical devotion to DS raiding I've seen in my guild who knows.
    And then when the Q1 2013 reports come in that wow sub levels are lower than they were in classic, you will come in saying that the 5th expac will fix everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    The GW2 hype in germany is huuuuuge.
    Yeah it is!
    Click the "View change over time" link about halfway down the right side.

http://www.google.com/insights/searc...ars%202&cmpt=q
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's expected. Isn't GW1 still huge in Germany, too?

Sorry for the offtopic. I just want to point out how this thread seems to be ban bait with all the infractions going out.

Anyways, carry on! I'm glad GW2 won. More exposure is always good.
    Last edited by woodydave44; 2012-08-20 at 11:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    And then when the Q1 2013 reports come in that wow sub levels are lower than they were in classic, you will come in saying that the 5th expac will fix everything.
    Blizz did report that they lost 1mil subs about a month or so ago. But I do honestly believe that when MoP comes out Blizz will get their 1mil back. Players, perhaps, just stopped their subs because they've already done what they had to do in Cata and didn't want to keep spending monthly fees because they're waiting for MoP. Whether WoW's formula is old by now or not, there's still many reasons as to why it's successful, because many people genuinely enjoy it or maybe because they're playing it out of habit. Or, maybe they will lose more numbers.

I played WoW for five years, and I stopped playing before I even learned about GW2 myself. And I stopped becuase I realized that I wasn't having fun after some time, and I was only playing it out of habit. I didn't even have friends I played with. It wasn't until months later I learned of GW2, and GW2 is the only MMO other than WoW that I have been interested in.
    Last edited by Javey; 2012-08-20 at 11:24 PM.

Is there any way to see the results? Do people really follow IGN? I voted GW2 via a link on GW2 related site, if not for the link I would have never voted at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz did report that they lost 1mil subs about a month or so ago. But I do honestly believe that when MoP comes out Blizz will get their 1mil back. Players, perhaps, just stopped their subs because they've already done what they had to do in Cata and didn't want to keep spending monthly fees because they're waiting for MoP. Whether WoW's formula is old by now or not, there's still many reasons as to why it's successful, because many people genuinely enjoy it or maybe because they're playing it out of habit. Or, maybe they will lose more numbers.
    Not to get off-topic, because this really isn't the thread for it, but... I personally believe that while they'll get back a good chunk of subscribers, after a while people will realize that MoP did not bring major changes to the gameplay. Sure, the game will be improved, but it will still be WoW. Raiding will still be the name of the game. People may realize that slowly, and those who are disappointed by that, will drop back out again.

Not going to make predictions on the numbers, no point in it - but I don't doubt that WoW has jumped the shark. They can no longer maintain such an extreme popularity, and the population should spread out more evenly across the industry as a whole.

Congratulations.
    They know how to milk the cow.