Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

[Books] The Most Difficult/Boring Book You Have Read

Honestly, I know this isn't that hard of a book, but it was one that I was forced to read in class and never wanted to read again way back, it was A Tale of Two Cities.

I should honestly try and give the novel another shot, since I have read harder novels now, but I do not have any fond memories of the novel. (probably because I read out of being forced, not liking the book)

How Green Was My Valley. Followed pretty closely by The Andromeda Strain.

10+ Year Old Account
    the only book i had to read for school that i never finished and had to bullshit my way through the tests and whatnot was grapes of wrath. dear god it was the most boring piece of shit ever written!

Deleted
    "Röda orm". It's written in ancient swedish (not entierly sure it's even that )and it's a bloody pain to read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Difficult book - The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
    Most Boring/Stupid book - twilight 1, the four or so chapters I could handle.

Bridget Jones diary.

The teacher that decided that book should be in the curriculum needs to be punished.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried reading The Divine Comedy in the original language.

My brain melted.
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

I was bored to tears the entire time I read Lord of the Flies. It was required reading for school. Hated every moment of it.

The Scarlett Letter.

We had to vote on 1 of 4 books in grade 12 to read for a project and the female-dominated class picked that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Beloved by Toni Morrison. I had to read it for AP English... When we read other stories, I was all over that, but I'm gonna be honest I read the bare minimum just to pass the test. I don't understand why it's so highly acclaimed, I thought it was horrid.

10+ Year Old Account
    REAMDE.
    Aparently a good read.
    I fell asleep 5 times while trying to read the first quarter of the book, not sure why, I just couldn't enjoy it.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

The Similarian.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a LotR-translation for New Norwegian. I REALLY want to read it, because I firmly believe that New Norwegian makes all fantasy more epic (simply because it looks more old as a language than bokmål), and the people who write New Norwegian are usually admirably gung-ho about not loaning words, ever.

Sadly, Tolkien's style of describing ever bush, pebble and straw in archaic english translated into what feels like archaic norwegian is heavy. Even for masochistic hobby-linguists like myself.

Not giving up, though. Just gonna find some simpler fantasy in New Norwegian first, to get used to it^^

Edit: Obdigore, the Silmarillion should be treated as a cross between Bible and lexicon. Read other things by Tolkien, and look up new names in Silm. Or read it from cover to cover, if you hate life and can't leave bed for a couple weeks
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Worst book? Twilight. I am ashamed to have read the first book. But I stopped there.

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    There is a LotR-translation for New Norwegian. I REALLY want to read it, because I firmly believe that New Norwegian makes all fantasy more epic (simply because it looks more old as a language than bokmål), and the people who write New Norwegian are usually admirably gung-ho about not loaning words, ever.

Sadly, Tolkien's style of describing ever bush, pebble and straw in archaic english translated into what feels like archaic norwegian is heavy. Even for masochistic hobby-linguists like myself.

Not giving up, though. Just gonna find some simpler fantasy in New Norwegian first, to get used to it^^

Edit: Obdigore, the Silmarillion should be treated as a cross between Bible and lexicon. Read other things by Tolkien, and look up new names in Silm. Or read it from cover to cover, if you hate life and can't leave bed for a couple weeks
    I have read other things by Tolkien. I read quite a bit. That book is just a dry history text of elves. Father father father father abraham was lyonogor the mangificiently wise.

does the Bible count? because when I was a kid, I would read a few verses and pass the f out

10+ Year Old Account
    Silmarillion, easily

Out of all the books I've ever read for school, the only two I couldn't get through were The Awakening by Kate Chopin and Song of Solomon by Toni Morisson. The former because it was just deadly, deadly dull, and the latter because I have no interest in reading a book about the most dysfunctional family ever, especially when the story doesn't even go anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    I have read other things by Tolkien. I read quite a bit. That book is just a dry history text of elves. Father father father father abraham was lyonogor the mangificiently wise.
    Okay. Just making sure, because I've talked to some people who expected Silmarillion to be yet another tale about a great but specific event in Middle Earth-history, and then go "This crap sux!" when they essentially get a book with historical facts :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

The once and future king. Subject matter is exciting, the method in which is it conveyed is boring.