Can I Enjoy the Game with Limited Time to Invest in It?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice from people who had the opportunity to enjoy the beta. So, I've been impressed with what I've seen of Guild Wars 2, and I know that I will enjoy the game if I purchase it. My debate regarding the purchase concerns my personal life. First, my wife and I are expecting our first child in October. Obviously, I will need to manage time in a whole different way after the baby arrives. Second, I am about to enter my third year of law school. Law school itself isn't really that great of a burden anymore. I've already locked up my job post-graduation/passing the bar, and I don't have to devote nearly as much time to school as I used to. Still, it's another area that requires a significant amount of attention. Simply, I won't be able to devote a ton of time to playing Guild Wars.

So, my question is this: How do you think the time commitment required to enjoy Guild Wars will compare to other MMOs? My experience has been mostly with WOW and Rift, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. Yet in those games, I didn't feel like I was really getting the experience I was paying for until the later levels of leveling and the end-game raids. Stated differently, I felt that WOW and Rift primarily rewarded those who had the most time to invest, and I'm not sure I could enjoy those games again with where I am now at in life. I'm not saying that games shouldn't reward players who put the time in, but I'm just wondering if I'll be able to enjoy Guild Wars when I can only devote an hour or two a day to the game. So, what do you think?

I appreciate any responses, especially those from people who find themselves in similar situations to my own.

Thanks!

I think for those who have a limited amount of time to play, GW2 may be the best option out there. You don't ever really have to worry about falling behind.

Yes, you can! The Guild Wars franchise is very casual player orientated.

There is little forced grind, power/gear has an absolute cap, PVP is largely standardized [no PVP gear grind], there are no required roles [tank/healer/dps] for PVE or PVP content and none of the Guild Wars games are bimodal.

No sub fee either.

All games in the GW series are pick-up & play/drop anytime games. Extremely casual.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-08-20 at 05:33 PM.

Enjoy and compete is very different things...In the question if you can compete with others in GW2 if you have a limited time, the answer is yes, guild wars 2 maybe is the first game that you can do that. At level 80 you can get rare gear from vendor or craft...and then the best armor available (exotic) also is very very easy to get and also you can craft it or buy it from others. Exotic gear has very little more stats than the rare one. And if you think that there is no gear resets in GW then you see that even if you play 1 hour a week you can compete with others. You can join a WvWvW and no one will kill you because he has better gear than you

Now do you have fun if you have limited time is very personal..I don't for example..If I can only play 1-2 hours a day and not every day I prefer to not play at all..When I log in I want to get lost inside the game and play until I get bored and want to stop..but this is me..you can try and see for yourself.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

What Fencers said are all reasons I am excited for GW2. My wife and I just had our first child last month so I will have very limited play time as well. It will be great to log in and be able to play with people that are higher in level and hop into some pvp action from the start.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Paparingo View Post
    How do you think the time commitment required to enjoy Guild Wars will compare to other MMOs? My experience has been mostly with WOW and Rift, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. Yet in those games, I didn't feel like I was really getting the experience I was paying for until the later levels of leveling and the end-game raids. Stated differently, I felt that WOW and Rift primarily rewarded those who had the most time to invest, and I'm not sure I could enjoy those games again with where I am now at in life. I'm not saying that games shouldn't reward players who put the time in, but I'm just wondering if I'll be able to enjoy Guild Wars when I can only devote an hour or two a day to the game. So, what do you think?
    Here is perfect article for you: Why Guild Wars 2 Is The Best MMO For Busy Adults
    http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/krew...o-busy-adults/

According to a study from the Entertainment Software Association presented at E3 2011, the median video gamer age is 37 and has been gaming for well over a decade.
    Let’s face it, MMOs aren’t exactly known for being a casual-friendly gaming experience. There have been steps taken in that direction in recent years, but the tired old grind is alive and well in subscription based titles. You still need to log on consistently night after night for hours at a time to earn the best raiding or PvP gear. Since those same games are all about gear, and the ever-increasing stats they possess, if you don’t sink time into earning the highest tier of available gear, you’ll never be able to compete on the same level as players who are. While some free-to-play titles have earned the pejorative term “pay-to-win,” many subscription-based titles are essentially “time-to-win.” It really isn’t your individual skill that determines how successful you are, but rather how much time you dedicate to playing.
    I'm adult with job and other stuff that I need to do IRL. I really like the idea that I can take break from game and not be left behind stat vice.

Thank you all for the very helpful comments. Thank you for linking that article as well, Iryne. I'm sold. About to place the order on Amazon now. Thanks again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Take your time, no sub fee. Get lost in the world and explore !

Honestly, one of the key elements that drove me to GW2, besides the dev team, the world, the stories and ingenuity, was the fact that I can play this MMO and not get that feeling of "Shit, now I have to play catch-up" or "I'm not going to this party because I have to raid and I don't want to miss my chance on these purple pixels".

I have a wife, kid and a full time job so this game is perfect for someone who just doesn't have the time to devote themselves into an MMO like they used to.

I plan on playing a lot the first few days because it's a weekend and I have nothing major planned. I also don't plan on rushing to 80 like I did in past MMO's. I'm not leaving a zone until it's 100% complete, jumping puzzles included. I'm going to read/listen to every NPC and see if what they say will lead me to a new event or not.

This is the ideal game for casual MMO players all the while being an ideal game for the hardcore MMO players that want to get out of the "second job" feeling of being in a progression raiding guild.

Just don't expect to be top PvP rank, or in true end-game. Other than that, sure, anyone can have fun. WvWvW makes sure of that.