Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Touch of the Grave and Undead monks

Touch of the Grave: Your attacks and damaging spells have a chance to drain the target, dealing 12654 to 14706 Shadow damage and healing you for the same amount.
    Anyone decide to roll a UD monk because of this racial?

Personally I think this racial is just to try bring undead on par with Trolls and Orcs in terms of DPS

Personally im rolling a Human monk but if I were Horde I'd have to go Orc still despite this new racial.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a cool racial, but I still think the pandaren food racial is better, plus the rested XP bonus for leveling will be awesome (not that I imagine my Panda will get much rest )

also undead look godawful
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, as a Monk at least. (Plate-wearer female Forsaken = freakin' badass. ♥)
    Regarding Pandas racial, it's really OP and I'm a bit angry that Blizz leaves it like this (and it's worth noting that I'm going to play a Pandaren for esthetic purpose so no bias on my part ^^).

Racials should be small perks, that might slightly increase your efficency (like the NElf 1% avoidance for a tank, or the orc "trinket") but, again, slightly in order to make little difference and let you just chose a race you like. This choice shouldn't have a influence on the optimisation.
    But I guess they really want people spending 20€ to have a character as optimised as possible.

Deleted
    I agree the new racial looks interesting. Dunno how often it procs and how much it will dmg and heal at lvl 90, but its a nice extra when soloing old stuff.

Personally im still not sure of wich race to pick for my upcoming monk. Horde, definitly, but not a pandaren thats for sure.

i imagine the numbers they have given is the level 90 version, as i cant see that currently being the case at 85, as that does more damage then melee hits.

Im tempted to have an undead monk, but im not sure id want to stare at an undead for alot of gametime id be investing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocheku View Post
    I agree the new racial looks interesting. Dunno how often it procs and how much it will dmg and heal at lvl 90, but its a nice extra when soloing old stuff.

Personally im still not sure of wich race to pick for my upcoming monk. Horde, definitly, but not a pandaren thats for sure.
    Its dependent on what you envision your final spec to be. Windwalkers will always benefit from Orc and Troll racials. Mistweavers will benefit from Blood Elf, Orc, and Troll racials. Brewmasters will benefit from Tauren and Undead racials. Pandaren racials will be good over all.

Personally, for leveling, I'm going Orc. The rested exp bonus will be worthless for power leveling, and the Epicurean benefits won't kick in until later levels where there's actually food I can benefit from. But the AP buff will still be great for chewing through mobs.

It's a tough decision to be sure.
    Food will probably be either the +300 agi, +300 spirit, or +450 stam, with X2 of that for Pandaren when they eat, and of course the lowered fall damage.

Brewmasters who won't be making (or rather eating) food may want to make Night Elf or Undead to lower dmg for NE or recover HP for UD during the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tried this ingame on a dummy. I saw the 13k~ish yellow hits of it while tiger palming/auto attacking, but no heals. Ever.
    Edit: I have tried this with 50% hp.
    Last edited by Apom; 2012-08-21 at 08:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijiri View Post
    It's a tough decision to be sure.
    Food will probably be either the +300 agi, +300 spirit, or +450 stam, with X2 of that for Pandaren when they eat, and of course the lowered fall damage.

Brewmasters who won't be making (or rather eating) food may want to make Night Elf or Undead to lower dmg for NE or recover HP for UD during the fight.
    Why wont Brewmasters be using food?

10+ Year Old Account
    How often does it proc? 0o that seems rather op for a passive ability 0o

Quote Originally Posted by Valient View Post
    Why wont Brewmasters be using food?
    Ah 2 months ago, it feels like a long time.

Many people aren't putting the effort into either getting cooking or buyin their food.
    Many people don't eat food in battlegrounds, ulduar 25m, LFR or even 10m DS or 25m Baradin Hold.
    Many people won't even eat food if you place a feast in front of them.

Everyone eats and flasks during heroic or other modes with likely chance of wipe, and normal before the buff.

The point I was trying to make is Pandarens should be eating all the time to get the stat boost.
    If you have 2 monks, one pandaren and one say orc and neither ate the orc would probably be pulling more damage.

It's like if you compared a cata troll hunter with a cata orc hunter, the troll would do slightly more dmg if she was using a bow. Otherwise the Orc would be doing slightly better because of beast buff.
    Last edited by Hijiri; 2012-08-21 at 10:29 PM.

I would imagine this would be great for leveling, then race change at 90! I was planning Orc but I think a passive heal might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgl View Post
    Yeah, as a Monk at least. (Plate-wearer female Forsaken = freakin' badass. ♥)
    Regarding Pandas racial, it's really OP and I'm a bit angry that Blizz leaves it like this (and it's worth noting that I'm going to play a Pandaren for esthetic purpose so no bias on my part ^^).

Racials should be small perks, that might slightly increase your efficency (like the NElf 1% avoidance for a tank, or the orc "trinket") but, again, slightly in order to make little difference and let you just chose a race you like. This choice shouldn't have a influence on the optimisation.
    But I guess they really want people spending 20€ to have a character as optimised as possible.
    Here's the thing about the Pandaren racial: it only works so long as you stay alive. If you die and get rezzed, you've lost your racial buff. Honestly, for progression, Pandaren might not be the best choice. Im going Orc for expertise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    According to this...

http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=5227/touch-of-the-grave

20% proc chance with 0 GCD
    GCD is not the same as internal cooldown. I would wage the cooldown to be somewhere around a minute or so. Should be pretty easy to get an estimate as the proc rate is pretty high when the ICD is ready.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people

10+ Year Old Account
    Congregation of Our Knights Most Heavenly
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgl View Post
    Yeah, as a Monk at least. (Plate-wearer female Forsaken = freakin' badass. ♥)(
    Monks don't wear plate?

In any case, that UD racial isn't enough for me to roll UD. Orc is my #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Schaden View Post
    Here's the thing about the Pandaren racial: it only works so long as you stay alive. If you die and get rezzed, you've lost your racial buff. Honestly, for progression, Pandaren might not be the best choice. Im going Orc for expertise.
    Personally, i tend to sit and eat before eat progression pull.. why would you not want the extra stats for a fight you are trying to down, and instead gimp yourself in DPS/Survive-ability. I guess if you are not able to cook your own food but even then,.. having someone make you a few stacks of food is really not that hard or costly. Only times i do NOT eat would be for 5mans or something...

Other then that, i am planning a Human monk, but might switch once raiding starts just for the food buff,.. but not sure yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Apom View Post
    I have tried this ingame on a dummy. I saw the 13k~ish yellow hits of it while tiger palming/auto attacking, but no heals. Ever.
    Edit: I have tried this with 50% hp.
    Can we please stay on topic and share more informtion about the undead racial (does anyone have some log of it's heals? I could only see it's 13k hits) instead of the awesome panda food buff?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Apom View Post
    Can we please stay on topic and share more informtion about the undead racial (does anyone have some log of it's heals? I could only see it's 13k hits) instead of the awesome panda food buff?
    It seems to me that noone has yet done the math for racial comparisons for Windwalker DPS at max level. Considering the Orc pet bonus was nerfed to 2% and would only apply to Xuen every once in a while anyway, and that the expertise bonus is now a flat 1% instead of '3' or any other amount, Touch of Grave will be very close to the top of DPS racials. I'm eagerly waiting for the math to be done but my gut feeling is that Orcs and Pandas are marginally ahead in DPS but naturally light years behind in PvP where WotF and the healing part of Touch of Grave are very useful. I want to see the numbers but currently as a person who does both PvE and PvP I'm leaning on picking Undead.

PS: Undead Monks will look like classic Rogues once they all farm the blue or black Bloodfang sets or the recolored Rogue set lookalikes from Ulduar, ICC etc.
    Last edited by mmoc92c203c636; 2012-08-22 at 07:26 PM.