Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Gamescom 2012: SWTOR will sell statted gear, debating new planet monetization

How do you take a subscription title like Star Wars: The Old Republic and turn it into a free-to-play MMO? According to Executive Producer Jeff Hickman, you do it as carefully as possible. "Give the story away," he explained. "Make the casual player understand what that is. Don't try to monetize that. Monetize all the things around that. I think, actually, as we looked through it, it is not as complex as you think it is. It is very difficult."

While plans for SWTOR's cash shop are not finalized, Hickman did admit that players could use it to purchase gear to help them level up: "I don't want to unbalance the game by putting things out on the store that somebody can walk in on day one, buy and be the winner. Having said that, there will be some things that we put out in the store that do enhance power value in some way, but not at the top end."

Hickman nibbled around the topic of the planet Makeb, which is still under construction. With more story and more systems, he hopes players will be pleased with the final result. However, Hickman could not confirm nor deny that the update will expand the level cap, nor would he go into detail about whether or not BioWare is going to attempt to sell this to subscribers.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08...ng-new-planet/
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2012-08-21 at 03:59 AM.

Tons of pay to win comments in the articles I've read when that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Many games sell stated leveling gear that doesn't negatively impact anyone elses enjoyment of the game.

Can't say I'm a fan of that monetization scheme, but seriously, please don't start calling it pay to win when what they've said gives no indication that that is the case -_-

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Tons of pay to win comments in the articles I've read when that doesn't seem to be the case at all. Many games sell stated leveling gear that doesn't negatively impact anyone elses enjoyment of the game.

Can't say I'm a fan of that monetization scheme, but seriously, please don't start calling it pay to win when what they've said gives no indication that that is the case -_-
    I'm not saying it's pay to win. I'm just quoting what the article said and pasted it. I will play the game regardless. I roll alt's so content at 50 doesn't really bother me. I found the video doing a Google search so it's separate but it does discuss the future of the game. What I gatherd from this is that they have not given up and remain devoted to pumping out content.

Edited:

Here is the article that has to do with the video. It was on separate websites:

Two weeks ago, EA and BioWare announced unsurprisingly a shift to a free-to-play model for it's Star Wars: The Old Republic. Originally a highly anticipated title, The Old Republic reached a high point of 1.7 million subscribers shortly after its release.

Unfortunately, the numbers tumbled downhill after that, losing well over 700,000 subscribers. Despite the loss, BioWare takes to the stage at this year's Gamescom with enthusiasm for the game's future.

“The market is clearly becoming a free-to-play market in the MMO space. It appears that’s the direction the whole industry is going," states Matthew Bromberg, BioWare Austin's general manager.

"Our own research told us that a significant percentage of the folks who have left the game, left because of the commitment to the subscription model. It’s not that surprising if you think about it because the dynamic in an MMO is essentially one in which you subscribe and then you’re waiting for new content, and people don’t feel good about waiting.”

In addition to the change in subscription model, the company promises to bring along more frequent content updates. Bromberg states the updates will be free for those who remain subscribed, while free-to-play players will have to purchase them for an undisclosed fee. These updates will push for more social interaction with additional group content, operations, warzones, flashpoints, and social events.

For the players who do like the cinematic story-driven solo content, Bromberg promises more of that is on the way as well, along with an increased level cap and additional quests on the planet of Makeb. Despite losing a staggering number of subscribers, BioWare seems to be confident in the title's potential to live up to its expectations. Will the shift in subscription model and upcoming content updates be enough to bring you back to the game?
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2012-08-21 at 04:14 AM.

"More frequent content updates right away". The only way that could be true is if the content updates were much smaller. Yes, I'm cynical.

It's funny how their "taste" of that new update is like, a few characters killing mobs. I don't know how that's supposed to excite anyone who isn't hopelessly in love with TOR.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-08-21 at 04:19 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I wasn't implying you said it would be, I was pre-empting the comments coming in this thread (they've been all over tons of other discussions about this).

And I don't have super high hopes for them based off their performance so far, but I'm always hoping they can turn things around. Hopefully the freemium will bring in more players and improve revenue so they can hire more of their staff back on to help churn out more content.

Saw a the republic episode on gamebreakertv today. They had snipets of an interview with one of the developers talking about the conversion to free to play. They really don't seem to have a concrete plan on this. They should have delayed the announcement I think for a couple of months until they had a real plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Saw a the republic episode on gamebreakertv today. They had snipets of an interview with one of the developers talking about the conversion to free to play. They really don't seem to have a concrete plan on this. They should have delayed the announcement I think for a couple of months until they had a real plan in place.
    They had to announce something to offset the lackluster subscriber numbers and try to quell investor fears so they were forced to put themselves in an awkward position. Don't know why they didn't have at least a partially fleshed out backup plan earlier though.

They had to announce something to offset the lackluster subscriber numbers and try to quell investor fears so they were forced to put themselves in an awkward position. Don't know why they didn't have at least a partially fleshed out backup plan earlier though.
    Bioware has been playing catch up it seems with just about everything, this was especially apparent with how long it took them to develop server transfers. They never seem to be preemptive, only reactive. I don't know they tried to make a traditional (WoW) type MMO but there were things that were definitely missing that could have been there from the start but weren't. Bioware's inexperience with MMOs really show in this product, it just makes me wonder what the hell Mythic was doing, you would think that with Mythic's experience with MMOs, although not great given how Warhammer turned out, they would have at least helped to make sure Bioware was a bit more knowledgeable on how to handle things and have things as better group finding and server transfers ready to go a lot sooner than they were.

I really like the game, I bought the collectors edition and paid for six months of game time, and feel that I got my moneys worth. I had to let my sub lapse though, the stuff that subscribers get like unlimited raids and such are things that just don't really appeal to me that much, so I'll be doing the 1-50 experience with classes I've not played yet and might buy stuff from the cash shop like the Makeb content.
    Last edited by Smitzelplix; 2012-08-21 at 05:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is selling stated gear really is in a way pay to win. Though depends on the gear. Still it's a dangerous road to cross for Bioware/EA but...whatever.

Am I the only one who is fine with selling content? I mean it seems to make the most sense. You buy the content you want to play. I would rather do that then be forced to buy "convenience items" just to make a game playable. As far as selling leveling items go, who cares.(it isn't as if leveling is hard to begin with) When they start selling high end gear though it becomes a problem.

So... I wonder. In WoW terms I wonder if the gear they plan to sell is:

A. Like heirlooms, helps you level up
    or
    B. Equivalent to buying the 377 PVP gear, which helps you get into obtaining higher level items (say buying full 377 lets you head into HoR Heroics)

Either way is fine with me, though it could be some completely different deal.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    snip for mod
    cool story bro? No doubt many "gamers" will find a way to vilivy bioware over this. Pay to win...lol
    Last edited by Landin55; 2012-08-21 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Landin55 View Post
    cool story bro? No doubt many "gamers" will find a way to vilivy bioware over this. Pay to win...lol
    I don't think this hurts Bioware at this point. Personally though I have lost all respect for Bioware because of how they have dealt with SWTOR up until this point.(and ME3) IMHO, they should have worked there asses off to fix issues and get out new content to keep players subscribed, but alas that is the Bioware of old who would jump through such hoops to do right by the customer. It isn't who they are now, instead of going the extra mile, it is cut and run.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Am I the only one who is fine with selling content? I mean it seems to make the most sense. You buy the content you want to play. I would rather do that then be forced to buy "convenience items" just to make a game playable. As far as selling leveling items go, who cares.(it isn't as if leveling is hard to begin with) When they start selling high end gear though it becomes a problem.
    People are worried if content such as Makeb will be included with their subscription or will it have to be bought from the cash shop on top of their subscription, that's the issue cause there have been some discussions from Bioware staff about the possibility of having subscribers buy this content on top of their sub or not, there's no concrete answer on this but just the fact they're considering this has people worried and upset.

I will have no problem with buying extra content such as Makeb as I no longer wish to subscribe. But if you are a premium user then I believe Makeb should be included in your subscription at no extra charge.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Bioware's inexperience with MMOs really show in this product
    That the crazy though though. As you noted, they had a bunch of ex-Mythic staff working on the project. Additionally, a lot of the top level guys from from a half decade or more of having a heavy MMO background. Almost their entire staff that we've seen is filled with MMO vets. That's one of the things that disappointed me about it, I feel like with the kind of talent they had/have working on the game it should have turned out much better. I'm happy other have enjoyed it, but it was a personal disappointment for me and not something I could justify spending money on. Definitely something I'll spend some time in after it transitions, but not something I can see myself subscribing to right now : /

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    The problem is selling stated gear really is in a way pay to win. Though depends on the gear. Still it's a dangerous road to cross for Bioware/EA but...whatever.
    What they're talking about is not pay to win. Essentially what they're talking about is the same as some rich level 50 pimping out their alt at all levels with the best possible leveling gear. They can't buy top quality raid or PvP gear, but they can get good leveling gear and some mediocre max level gear.

Not really an advantage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I don't think this hurts Bioware at this point. Personally though I have lost all respect for Bioware because of how they have dealt with SWTOR up until this point.(and ME3) IMHO, they should have worked there asses off to fix issues and get out new content to keep players subscribed, but alas that is the Bioware of old who would jump through such hoops to do right by the customer. It isn't who they are now, instead of going the extra mile, it is cut and run.
    My guess is that you make many video games across many platforms and you have a MMO. Oh wait you probably don't. I'm just getting tired of endless hate game companies are getting, from people trashing it wherever they find it, to people sending death threats. And to those praising Anet...they are next...don't kid yourself...One screw up and they are on the chop block and they lose "integrity", "respect", and they become "soulless". Sickening /spit.

Looking forward to TOR f2p as I love the stories they have to offer! Also why do people hate Bioware? People need to view things objectively instead of a biased emotional PoV. I think the ME series is really good and never understood the hate for ME3's ending.

What they're talking about is not pay to win. Essentially what they're talking about is the same as some rich level 50 pimping out their alt at all levels with the best possible leveling gear. They can't buy top quality raid or PvP gear, but they can get good leveling gear and some mediocre max level gear.

Not really an advantage at all.
    You don't know that, he excluded top tier raiding/PvP gear, but that's all he excluded, no where does he define what normal players is, is it old tiones gear, columi, rakata or does he mean leveling gear only, where is the line of advantage enough for it being P2W, only top tier gear, second to best?

The language he uses only excludes one thing but keeps the door open for everything else, hell he even opens the door just a little bit and the cynic in me says it's to test the waters a bit and see where the line of he's community is drawn.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2012-08-21 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Looking forward to TOR f2p as I love the stories they have to offer! Also why do people hate Bioware? People need to view things objectively instead of a biased emotional PoV. I think the ME series is really good and never understood the hate for ME3's ending.
    ....this post makes no logical sense what so ever.
    you point out that the series is good(which it is) and yet can't understand why people hate the ending.
    cause bioware showed they can do better, thats why.
    the ending to ME3, and the storyline(or lack there of) in DA2, were massive slaps in the face.
    made worse with how they claimed to have "artistic integrity" despite walling off on disc content for more money and making false claims about the ending(there really is only one) before hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Totally agree with you on both accounts, but sadly hating seems to be a cool thing to do lately. The gaming community has become very jaded.