Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

.....I have a THEORY - Why Swotr is where it is now! - INDULGE ME if u will :)

I have a theory if you will all indulge me for a few moments.

There are 3 type of gamers.

Gamer A – Well mannered, sensible, grounded individuals, mature, constructive, good insights, instincts, and outstanding morale fibre – A player of decency and breeding – understands the gaming industry and how it works, patient, skilled/unskilled, jack of all trades masters of none perhaps but either way great asset to his/her friends and games alike. Has a good life / work / game balance – an ideal subscriber in pretty much every way!

Gamer B – A hard core player – A player dedicated and devoted to being the best. A genius, at work – committed and dedicated. A frigging master at playing and understanding the game and its mechanics at almost a binary level! A player that pretty much owns everything in the game and everyone – A player that operates at another level to A and C – A Group that displays glimpses of being an Gamer A but equally displays character traits of GAMER C – Still a player that pushes for new content and expansion! – A needed subscriber!

Gamer C – The retard – the moron, the idiot, the I want it all and I want it now! The I pay my subscription and I want it all my way, and if I don’t get it I’m going to scream and shout and throw my toys out of the pram. The I have no opinion so ill adopt the one that gives me most attention and is most likely going to make me look good. The drama queen, let’s make a scene type person. The disruptor, the over inflated EGO type, bent everyone agreeing that I’m brilliant and you should all do what I say and worship me. The twisted agenda, infecting everything and everyone with negativity type - moaning for moan sake, for revenge for being born or whatever who knows. – The immature, the mummy’s boy/girl, the fool – the I can’t see past my own hand type – The type of player who will flock to where ever he or she gets the most attention, because they are emotionally stunted wasters, gaming junkies, the scourge of the gaming community – A player that just bumps up the stats who no ones wants to listen to but so shouts the loudest!

Agreed....these are all extreme cases, but you get the jist – Most people im sure in one way or another fit into one of these category’s, or are a combination of 2/3 – There may even be sub cats lol.

The point is - when Swotor launched it attracted all 3 types of gamers - Then Subscriptions dropped when Gamer C fled for reasons related to their personality disorders. Leaving Gamer A and B to grow the game slowly. Blame what ever you will for its success / demise – but reading the forums, most negativity comes from Gamer C – that’s evident 9/10 times - no suprises their - sadly gamer C is massive properportion of players especially in the world of gaming - they can make or break a game - we put the power and future of our games in their hands which is the scary reality.

Ppersonally I hope swotor continues to grow slowly building quality muscle, not quick gains I hope its not too bottom heavy - F2P, might bring back more of player c types - but hey you have to make the figures look good hey bioware?

But 3 steps forward and 2 steps back is still a gain of 1 - Quality rather then quantity will remain the constant which is ofern a trend seen in most sucessfull stable business models when looking at growth forcasts so we should take comfort in that. Gamer C is the driver of fast success but - a sustainable succuess requires all 3 and Swotor in my view is opperating for the time being on this trend line - we just need more gamer A and B types and less of C

- The Above is just my opinion and entirely conjecture to what I have read and believe to be true – I could be wrong.

It's where it is now because the MMORPG market is saturated, and it isn't growing anywhere near as fast as execs predicted. There is only a finite pool of players, and most players tend to stick to one sub based MMO. Since WoW is still 'king', SWTOR would have to leach players from that pool, yet even the tiniest fault would be enough to prevent many people from leaving a game they are already quite well established in. You also have the difference in story themes etc.
    RETH

I don't believe it's about numbers, but rather damage control. The way I understand it, SWORT was a massive effort in terms of work and funding and the income it's producing is not nearly what is required to stop it from being a total miss.

This is not an expert opinion, so anyone who knows more can feel free to correct me.

Deleted
    the game sucked so it failed. if you see EA next to anything it is destined to fail.

gw2 hype will also die 1-2 months after release because it offers nothing new and is just another shitty mmo

Post constructively in the future and actually add to the topic of discussion. -Cula
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2012-08-23 at 04:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethorien View Post
    The point is - when Swotor launched it attracted all 3 types of gamers - Then Subscriptions dropped when Gamer C fled for reasons related to their personality disorders. Leaving Gamer A and B to grow the game slowly. Blame what ever you will for its success / demise – but reading the forums, most negativity comes from Gamer C – that’s evident 9/10 times - no suprises their
    Reasons related to their personality disorder, wow, talk about bucket full of shit right there. And how is it evident that most negativity comes from your imaginary "player C"? I guess it's some sort of circular evidence, because SWTOR is perfect so only a moron could find faults with it so it's evident they're C players because they are negative towards a perfect game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethorien View Post
    I could be wrong.
    Oh believe me you are.

Want to know why players left in droves? Because it was not good enough to pay for and had multiple problems and left much to wish for that other MMO's offered.

Maybe the game simply wasn't very good and that's it?

I could be wrong too, of course.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps it would have worked better if SW:ToR was more of a multiplayer game than a single player story arc. Yes it has some good graphics, but they are not wonderful. The main problem was that they ran with the fallacy that most players think will help games and that is throwing more money and developers at it. Have you ever heard the phrase "To many cooks spoil the broth."? That is what happened. They had to many different people adding to the concept and messing it up by doing so.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Most people that like the KOTOR series, Bioware style games, and Star Wars probably would enjoy this game but probably not for the price of 15 dollars a month. I think that's the problem.

Pfft Gamer A totally doesn't actually exist

Interesting read though, obviously a bit over simplified but good thoughts nonetheless.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    Perhaps it would have worked better if SW:ToR was more of a multiplayer game than a single player story arc. Yes it has some good graphics, but they are not wonderful. The main problem was that they ran with the fallacy that most players think will help games and that is throwing more money and developers at it. Have you ever heard the phrase "To many cooks spoil the broth."? That is what happened. They had to many different people adding to the concept and messing it up by doing so.
    the leveling in that which is what so many people calls this game only about the "leveling" is all the game its single player blah blah blah. Clearly you never played wow during vanilla where it took weeks to hit level 60 that was what the game was, now i understand people what endgame content and this and that, but really this is more of a multiplayer game than wow atm, plenty of dungeons to do while leveling PEOPLE on planets to quest with. This is by far a single player game bioware just brought the RPG element of mmo's back into the equation

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavas View Post

No you see, the few ever so blindly loyal has to place the blame on the players, it's the players fault, it's not the games purpose to entertain them so they have no right making demands on it despite paying for it.

The leveling is linear. The quests are boring and unimaginative. The dialogue ranges from decent to cliche to cringeworthy bad. The world is soulless. The mobs are copy/pasted all over the place. The combat is mediocre. The pvp could suck a bowling ball through a garden hose.

Mystery solved.
    Last edited by Magzilla; 2012-08-23 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavas View Post

You're also wrong. Otherwise, hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't still be playing it. After 90 days, the game would have been a ghost town. I don't mean servers would have been ghost towns, or certain factions would have been ghost towns. All of it would have been a ghost town. SWG had less than 5k people playing it at the end, I've heard. Rift has around 500k (last I heard), and it's considered successful. SWTOR still has more subs than that.

While I don't agree with the OP, I find statements like these even more absurd. The game is good, for the people who like it. It is not good, for the people who don't.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

It is not Swotor but SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    I find statements like these even more absurd. The game is good, for the people who like it. It is not good, for the people who don't.
    sorry but that's fanboy approach. the fact that you like something shouldn't mean it's good, and vice versa.

i like lots of things that are kinda shit (80s pop music comes to my head, it's corny and cheesy, i know, but i love it). i cannot for the love of me grasp the appeal of minecraft for example and i hate counterstrike, but i don't consider them bad games.

Deleted
    You're also wrong. Otherwise, hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't still be playing it.
    There's such a thing called low standards, and way way way more people who played it think its not worth paying for.

SWTOR still has more subs than that.
    Between 6 month subs running out with yet another date for 3-1 month subs to run out, don't count on it, and rift sure as hell didn't cost 200+ million bucks to make with royalty fees to pay to lucasart which we can assume aren't some insignificant part.

You're also wrong. Otherwise, hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't still be playing it. After 90 days, the game would have been a ghost town. I don't mean servers would have been ghost towns, or certain factions would have been ghost towns. All of it would have been a ghost town. SWG had less than 5k people playing it at the end, I've heard. Rift has around 500k (last I heard), and it's considered successful. SWTOR still has more subs than that.

While I don't agree with the OP, I find statements like these even more absurd. The game is good, for the people who like it. It is not good, for the people who don't.
    Do you have a source for how many subs ToR has? Also what's your source for Rift subs? As far as I know Trion has never released sub figures. Finally if you could link your source for 5k people playing Galaxies at the end. Right now it looks like you are making up numbers and using them to support your argument. Without actual numbers your argument doesn't hold water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gamer A, the normal player: I got bored with the game, and it had a lot of gameplay issues.
    Gamer B, the hardcore player: I got bored with the game, and it had a lot of gameplay issues.
    Gamer C, the casual player: I got bored with the game, and it had a lot of gameplay issues.

Now, I personally haven't played SWTOR, however I have friends in all three categories.. And they all had the same complaints. And those are the same complaints that the majority of the gaming community has had.

Yes clearly there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game and the only people that left were retards, morons and people with personality disorders.
    Why would anyone else possibly quit this perfect game?
    Last edited by Doylez; 2012-08-23 at 06:10 PM.

Just to clarify... nowhere in the OP did he say that swtor is perfect. SO lets not start that crap. Secondly please try to at least remember that your personal opinions (be they negative or positive) do not reflect anything more than your opinions, same goes with your friends opinions (unless you amazingly know every gamer in the world).
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-08-23 at 06:16 PM.