Game smoothness..

Hi,

I'm able to run WoW on Ultra settings with around 150-250 FPS. But it never feels smooth? If it drops from 250 to 248 you can suddenly feel it, and it really feels un-smooth during gameplay. Is this a common issue if FPS just dropping slightly?
    Last edited by Vsml; 2012-08-21 at 04:28 PM.

No computer can run WoW on Ultra settings in a 25 man raid at that kind of FPS, no matter what you say.

Care to post your computer specs?
    Last edited by Rodpad; 2012-08-21 at 04:30 PM.

enable vertical sync, or whatever it's called
    your fps will be 120 or 60 max, depends on your monitor, but you won't see no more screen tearing (or whatever that's called)

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure how 250-ish FPS can not be smooth O.O , Maybe you have a certain driver out of date?

Iv'e had a similar issue when my gpu is out of date. Objects loaded slower and i couldnt see them until i was close to them (example mailbox etc.)
    Not sure what your issue might be considering you have that amount of fps potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodpad View Post
    No computer can run WoW on Ultra settings in a 25 man raid at that kind of FPS, no matter what you say.

Care to post your computer specs?
    Who said anything about raids? Don't get butt hurt. Lol.

Thats usually in Battlegrounds, Arena or the world in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    enable vertical sync, or whatever it's called
    your fps will be 120 or 60 max, depends on your monitor, but you won't see no more screen tearing (or whatever that's called)
    oh and tripple buffering

Deleted
    I suggest you check your framerate during the choppy periods. Use Fraps and you'll get a number in one of your monitors corner. Simply flick your view to the number when you feel it to be choppy.

I used to achieve a framerate of 200+ as well (looking up in the sky), but during 25-man fights (Ultraxion for example) I dipped below 50 even.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Not sure how 250-ish FPS can not be smooth O.O , Maybe you have a certain driver out of date?

Iv'e had a similar issue when my gpu is out of date. Objects loaded slower and i couldnt see them until i was close to them (example mailbox etc.)
    Not sure what your issue might be considering you have that amount of fps potential.
    high fps does not necessarily mean no lag lag can occur if there is a sudden drop in FPS (if your system is capable, vsync eliminates this sudden drop).

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsz View Post
    high fps does not necessarily mean no lag lag can occur if there is a sudden drop in FPS (if your system is capable, vsync eliminates this sudden drop).
    True, it might suddenly lag just because it dropped 1-2 fps.

Well i maxed out the multisampling and it seems to of worked anyway. Cheers for the help anyway.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    As an Fps gamer of the 90's and using CRT monitors I learned to hate vsync. While my computer in WoW can get 500-999 fps in some areas of the game (alone in an instance/In the middle of nowhere/Bg's) it's just not necessary. I know it might not be what you want to hear but 60 fps w/ vsync (120fps if you have a 120hz monitor) on feels infinitely better in this game then having 250+ because of all the screen tearing.

Armory : Fear@Cho'Gall UI Screen : Elv UI Wow Progress : Vindictive
    Cpu : Intel I7-2600k Mem : 16gb Corsair Vengeance Psu : Corsair HX1050 Gfx : EVGA GTX 770

Deleted
    I sincerely doubt you can reach even 500 fps, but it's not for this discussion anyway.

You should enable vsync to fix the jitter.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not that it matters, and not that I play with my fps like this, but I see your 500, and raise you 333. Like I said, alone, in instances, small areas.
    http://i.imgur.com/opqZz.jpg
    Last edited by fears; 2012-08-21 at 04:55 PM.

Armory : Fear@Cho'Gall UI Screen : Elv UI Wow Progress : Vindictive
    Cpu : Intel I7-2600k Mem : 16gb Corsair Vengeance Psu : Corsair HX1050 Gfx : EVGA GTX 770

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I know what you mean. There's a difference between FPS and smoothness. There is a point where FPS makes the game smooth, but until that point, it's very random on whether the game will be smooth or not. I've concluded it's 2x refresh rate, but this obviously depends on a lot of factors and i've not pinned it down to something that works all the time.

I'm very sensitive to this sort of thing. There's been times where the game has run like liquid and there's no jitter. However, most commonly there's high FPS but it's jittery, almost like frames are dropped, or frames are being pushed through in between screen refreshes. It's not ruining gaming experience, but when it's fluid, it's immediately visible that something changed. Once, in Ulduar, we were on Vezax and although it was a wipe (with the exception of 2 people still alive), my FPS suddenly just went ridiculously smooth. It was an actual noticeable change even though my FPS was the same.

SLI causes some issues with smoothness even if pure FPS is way above double refresh rate, but that can be explained by the slight delays as the system decides which GPU should render which frame.

Screen tearing isn't something i notice and isn't something that bothers me (even with high FPS, i just don't notice it, never have done), but jitter happens regardless of what's going on, and it's noticeable when flying in a straight line over simple terrain (such as the rocks on top of Orgrimmar where the flight master is, or out in the barrens). It's difficult to see for most people, but i spot it instantly when i decide to start looking.

Triple buffering might help along with VSync.

He never said in raids. I can get 250FPS in quiet zones and BG's (and even 10 man raids), and hell, indoors, i can push upwards of 450FPS. 25 player raids are always going to limit you to about 45FPS max, and some bosses will bring you closer to 30.
    What spec are you running?

I dont see why anyone would want 300fps when monitors max out at 60 to 120 fps anyways. The frame rate jump you see is the adjustment from one frame rate to another. Vsync fixes that but locks your fps to what ever you monitor is capable of.
    Intel Core i5 2500 quad core
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ASUS SABERTOOTH SLI motherboard
    Geforce 580gtx
    Corsiar Force3 120gig SSD (boot drive + WoW install)
    WD 400gb hdd