Deleted

Lock vs Boomking vs Thunder****er for MoP Rated BGs

Hello everyone,

What do you think is going to be the best class for RBGs (DPS) in MoP? Can't decide between these 3 - I know moonkings are losing IS but from what I heard they are more powerful in PvP in overalll... what about locks and ele shamans?

Cheers!

I think Ele Shamans and Bdruids again will be vying for that niche role as best burst dps. Both specs got very strong level 90 talents for big dps increases. Their survivability might end up being a more important factor as they will surely be high on the kill-list.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Moonkins lose IS but it is essentially replaced by sunfire which is an ability on its own now separate from moonfire. Warlocks can dot up stuff easier than ever and shamans have one of the nastiest burst dmg in the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PKEXK5DDcA

Quote Originally Posted by Dominium View Post
    Hello everyone,

What do you think is going to be the best class for RBGs (DPS) in MoP? Can't decide between these 3 - I know moonkings are losing IS but from what I heard they are more powerful in PvP in overalll... what about locks and ele shamans?

Cheers!
    I find Shamans to be the most annoying since I usually see more of Elemental Shamans than I do see Boomkins. If you let a Shaman stand there and cast, they can put out a ton of damage. And most of their casts are only 1.5 secs.

Boomkins again can put out a lot of damage but that is with the OP PVE trinket and the 1-H dagger from DW. Locks however, are capable of spreading a lot of damage around while at the same time bringing a lot of different debuffs.

But from the 3, I find locks and boomkins to have more survivability than Shamans. Shamans can cast while on the move, but any melee can easily bring down a shaman. Its Enhancement that I usually have a hard time with. Boomkins again don't really have much survivability.

But you can't really compare those 3 classes since they have a very different playstyle. Elemental is more of a pure BURST DPS spec. Boomkins can do a bit of both. They can spread DoTs and do decent burst damage if left to cast. Locks don't really have the burst damage compared to an Elemental but do a good job putting pressure on the other team with their DoTs, fear, etc.

So it really depends which role you prefer.

Personally I found Elemental shamans to be probably the most extreme on either sides of the scale. They can be extremely fun in the larger BGs like AV and IoC where you stand back and keep spamming Chain Lighting. Got 40 KBs, most damage done in my last AV with no deaths. We simply choked them at TP and camped them when they spawned. In a different kind of BG, they can be very frustrating with no survivability. Especially ones like Arathi Basin or WSG where you normally only are attacking 1-3 at a time.

Boomkins give you the best of both worlds - Elemental Shammies and Locks , if you can't really make up your mind. You can spread your DoTs and still do some decent AOE And burst damage with higher survivability and better mobility in travel form that Shammies.

As said above, Ele shamans are complete glass cannons. Boomkins are insane for RBGs and 5s, and excel in certain 3s comps (LSD2, Spicy Chicken Cleave). They are very week in 2s however unless running with a healer due to the fact that they have low survivability, and even less in Mists. Warlocks however have a lot of self healing and can get pretty tanky at times. They have dispel protection for their DoTs (as do Ele's) but boomkins do not (*not 100% sure on that, as I don't play a druid*).

I think they will all be strong still. You'll still do well with locks/boomkins for all that spread pressure. And ele will still have its good burst. PvP problems that ele has is bad kiting ability and limited mana regen. Both of which are less of an issue in rbgs

Elemental burst is crap on PTR/beta. All aoe/ multi dotting has been nerfed. Locks b/c of UA. Ele for EOTS and AB. Boomkin will be good in general and probably have some good burst.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanscle View Post
    Elemental burst is crap on PTR/beta. All aoe/ multi dotting has been nerfed. Locks b/c of UA. Ele for EOTS and AB. Boomkin will be good in general and probably have some good burst.
    Did you ignore the rest of the thread? Watch that ele burst video linked above.

Burst across the board is over the top. On PTR burst is a TAD over the top, nothing to cry home about, with 65% damage reduction and 25% pvp power. On beta burst is completely freaking wack because for some reason there's a 40% damage increase from pvp power and only 60% damage reduction from pvp resilience.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

as shaman have no direct dispell protection and the haste buff in case is removed, all you have to do (and should do) is dispelling flame shock, or did I miss any important component?

unfortunately elemental shaman will be trained into oblivion due to this burst potential and will be severely affected by their lack of substantial defensive abilities ... but as i have an elemental shaman as well, there will be some moments of laughter in random bg ... in competitive rbg environment any opponent should kill elemental shaman asap, like arcane mages earlier before ... so it will be silence (to prevent an early thunderstorm) + smoke = dead, at least against coordinated groups. or just a rogue sitting on the shaman

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say boomkins/locks. Ele shamans have very good burst, but will die quite easily.
    Main:
    Broscience
    EU Main:
    Révénge

Congratulations your 18!...On a list of 20 people i'm going to kill. -Frankie Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Did you ignore the rest of the thread? Watch that ele burst video linked above.

Burst across the board is over the top. On PTR burst is a TAD over the top, nothing to cry home about, with 65% damage reduction and 25% pvp power. On beta burst is completely freaking wack because for some reason there's a 40% damage increase from pvp power and only 60% damage reduction from pvp resilience.
    Congrats on watching one vid with no reference as to the time it was made. How about you watch the current ele vids that show ascendance popped and they're critting LB after LB with very little damage. Like I said, it sucks.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    As said above, Ele shamans are complete glass cannons. Boomkins are insane for RBGs and 5s, and excel in certain 3s comps (LSD2, Spicy Chicken Cleave). They are very week in 2s however unless running with a healer due to the fact that they have low survivability, and even less in Mists. Warlocks however have a lot of self healing and can get pretty tanky at times. They have dispel protection for their DoTs (as do Ele's) but boomkins do not (*not 100% sure on that, as I don't play a druid*).
    Where is this dispell protection for elemental shaman? Last time i checked lava flows is gone and there is no penalty for dispelling flame shock. Infact from what i have read and watched it can be a real pain in the ass and one of the sole reasons we are not picking up frozen power in that tier simply for the fact we need to save the shock cd for flame or earth shock.
    Last edited by Talon8669; 2012-08-23 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon8669 View Post
    Where is this dispell protection for elemental shaman? Last time i checked lava flows is gone and there is no penalty for dispelling flame shock. Infact from what i have read and watched it can be a real pain in the ass and one of the sole reasons we are not picking up frozen power in that tier simply for the fact we need to save the shock cd for flame or earth shock.
    I figured that the haste from dispelling flame shock was staying in game. My fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon8669 View Post
    Dispels are going to be a huge change in this xpac for sure. 8 second cooldown, but way more powerful then in live.

rDruid = can remove all magic, curses, and poison effects.
    rShaman = can remove all curse and magic. If they glyph purge they can offensively remove 2 beneficial magic effects from the enemy.
    hPally = can remove all magic, poison, and disease effects.
    hPriest = can remove all magic and disease. They can also mass dispel all harmful effects from 10 players, and dispel 1 magic effect from the enemy.
    mwMonk = can remove all magic, poison, and disease effects.

Deleted
    I found boomkin to be amazing on the PTR, kiting is so easy right now, we have tons of options for kiting, which are:

- wild charge: amazing kiting tool, warrior charges? you just travel form and leap away, if not boomkin heal glyphed you can get off a rejuv mid air and land in boomkin form, clearing all roots.
    - 25% faster movement in cat baseline.
    - natures grasp: only one charge but still wonderfull against melee.
    - typhoon
    - mighty bash or vortex (i prefer bash )
    - cat dash
    - stampeding
    - cyclone
    - mushroom slow
    - entangling roots

and the list goes on, with one powershifting macro click we also get rid of all movement impairing effects, you always have something to escape nasty melee classes.
    Im able to kite, warriors, rogues, rets and even dks with ease.

Defensives are also on par with other classes.
    Now the last thing, burst, its amazing what damage boomkins can do.
    with this new spell, astrall communion, you can basicly swap back and forth without any effort between eclipses, this makes mastery really nice, because you really cant go out of an eclipse, you always have more damage.
    when stacking mastery, and blowing all cooldowns ive seen resi players drop in less then 3 seconds. which is amazing, starfalls hitting for 10k together with dots ticking for 6k each makes up for some nice raid aoe damage.

compared to all other classes you mentioned, boomkin really is the king right now.

To reiterate what bigbudstar said, I'm finding boomkins to be absolutely amazing for pvp in mists. Amazing kiting, amazing healing, great damage on the move from dots, astral communion on the move to move freely between eclipses, great burst cool downs (celestial alignment giving both solar and lunar eclipse at the same time, moon fire double dots with sun fire when this is up, incarnation, natures vigil that gives 20% damage bonus and heals when you do direct damage.

It's an amazing amount of kiting, heck my frost mage feels gimpy compared to boomys. Honestly as a mage main, I will probably give it up for mists. Mages are incredibly squishy with not a lot of self healing and a loss of some kiting. I haven't tried ele's, but I know they hit very hard as well. Also the flaks was right, burst damage on beta is stupid high across the board... It's like an arcade game with so much damage.

And while I'm ranting, healing is pretty crazy high still too imo...mistweaver monks seem to be pretty op. They have a move called dematerialize that activates when you stun them that ignores all attacks for 2 seconds on a 10 second cool down. Ya, I had a fun time not being able to use deep freeze Not sure how that is not considered op when stuns dr reset is on a longer cool down than that..
    Last edited by halfawake; 2012-08-24 at 12:25 AM.

Deleted
    Hey all,

Really appreciate all the comments and posts. So far I have chosen to level a warlock but right after I will finish leveling my druid. I am mainly thinking about Rated BGs and possibly 3v3. I might end up leveling a shaman too ;3

Once again, thanks so much!

Dominium