Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Shouldn't you be able to clear any content, regardless of difficult, with any combination? If any content requires you to have a balanced setup you can't really tell that Holy Trinity is gone, but rather that it was expanded. I've seen a couple of posts/threads saying that there is no Holy Trinity but there are still roles to fill. Seems just a variation of the same thing. Nor that I think this is bad, I like the idea. Just that the whole "lol Holy Trinity is finally gone lol" is a bit too extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    /thread right here

Just get four charr to /dance * at the front, and nothing can stop you.
    At least now that Abaddon is defeated

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    At least now that Abaddon is defeated
    If four Charr danced the Haka at him, his insta-death would insta-reverse onto himself. The heroes from 250 years ago should've gotten Charr on their side.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 04:41 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

If four Charr danced the Haka at him, his insta-death would insta-reverse onto himself. The heroes from 250 years ago should've gotten Charr on their side.
    Unfortunately Pyre didn't come along until after Abaddon's defeat and the heroes ventured to the Eye of the North.

5 necros!

From polls I've seen, Necromancer seems to be the least popular. Be a Necromancer, join 4 other Necromancer and unleash the armies of HELL! You know it will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Rane View Post
    5 necros!

From polls I've seen, Necromancer seems to be the least popular. Be a Necromancer, join 4 other Necromancer and unleash the armies of HELL! You know it will be fun.
    Necromancers, Mesmers and Engineers. Minions and turrets everywhere! You just marched an army in there!

Deleted
    My only advice to the OP would be forget trying to pick a profession that's in demand...instead, pick a profession that you love and practice with it until you excel.

I was going to ask, and this may be a bit OT but, is there a LFG system? or will we have to spend time building our group like the good ole days?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikend View Post
    I was going to ask, and this may be a bit OT but, is there a LFG system? or will we have to spend time building our group like the good ole days?
    Push Y. Go to LFG tab. You will now see a list of people on your server who have marked their online presence as LFG.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Push Y. Go to LFG tab. You will now see a list of people on your server who have marked their online presence as LFG.
    So basically, the system before LFD tool in WoW.

Anyway, being a ranger, I'd probably pick all the professions that could somehow support me, because I'm selfish like that. Guardian, Warrior (meatshields), Elementalist (shut up and use water attunement to heal me!), and engineer because turrets are nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Before LFD tool in WoW, there was no system. You had to go to the LFG chat channel and go "Enh Shammy, 2k AP, LFG H slabs!" for sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes hours.

Unless you're referring to manually building a friends list of people you trust, which still isn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkwolfgang View Post
    Shouldn't you be able to clear any content, regardless of difficult, with any combination? If any content requires you to have a balanced setup you can't really tell that Holy Trinity is gone, but rather that it was expanded. I've seen a couple of posts/threads saying that there is no Holy Trinity but there are still roles to fill. Seems just a variation of the same thing. Nor that I think this is bad, I like the idea. Just that the whole "lol Holy Trinity is finally gone lol" is a bit too extreme.
    ArenaNet said that they tested all dungeon content with parties only consisting of one class each (i.e., one party of five elementalists, one party of five warriors, one party of five engineers, etc.). So, yes, anything goes if you want. No class is needed, no class cannot do a dungeon.

That does not mean that some combinations may not work better than others, and some players can be pretty fanatic about optimizing even when it is not necessary. That said, it is questionable whether such combinations will necessarily be based on anything related to roles.
    Last edited by Sylvanie; 2012-08-22 at 06:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember that before "roles" the concept of the Holy Trinity referred to three classes in EQ that were literally required to do content.

Some people have taken it upon themselves to believe that certain professions are required to clear content. If they want to believe it, they can go on being wrong, until it starts to hurt the community.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 06:02 PM.

Before LFD tool in WoW, there was no system. You had to go to the LFG chat channel and go "Enh Shammy, 2k AP, LFG H slabs!" for sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes hours.

Unless you're referring to manually building a friends list of people you trust, which still isn't the same.
    Not true. There was a system were you could sign up for three dungeons and raids you wanted to do, and choose roles. People could then see a list of people and what role they could play, and you'd whisper them about if they wanted to join your group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not true. There was a system were you could sign up for three dungeons and raids you wanted to do, and choose roles. People could then see a list of people and what role they could play, and you'd whisper them about if they wanted to join your group.
    I played back in TBC from back around the time attunements were removed, and I do not recall this system ever being implemented. It sounds like you may be referring to a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaagazug View Post
    If you look at the little footage there is from harder PvE encounters condition removal without help through combos or specific abilities from others will not really suffice.
    And the same applies to regeneration et cetera as far as I can see. It is all speculation right now BUT I am willing to eat my right hand if you do not need proper boon/condition management in explorable mode dungeons. That is very different from the trinity though and will allow far more profession set-ups.
    I did explorable without those things... we cleared it, with not knowing eacother (3 friends, 2 randoms) all that well, Engineer, Necro, Ranger, Warrior and Thief, not the best setup, but we could manage fine withouth those 3 people seems to "need" (ele/war/guardian). it's mostly about skill, i was the only 1 with condition removal for the entire team, we had a few wipes, but that's expected.

Anyway, being a ranger, I'd probably pick all the professions that could somehow support me, because I'm selfish like that. Guardian, Warrior (meatshields), Elementalist (shut up and use water attunement to heal me!), and engineer because turrets are nice.
    How will you feel when the warrior can't hold aggro, or when the elementalists healing is so shitty for groups that you die over and over again, an elementalist should do damage, AND help on somewhat little healing they have, not just 1 attunement,.

If you were sarcastic, disregard the post.
    Last edited by Salech; 2012-08-22 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    How will you feel when the warrior can't hold aggro, or when the elementalists healing is so shitty for groups that you die over and over again, an elementalist should do damage, AND help on somewhat little healing they have, not just 1 attunement,.

If you were sarcastic, disregard the post.
    It was me being amusingly selfish, only wanting the other professions to support me in supportive ways.

I played back in TBC from back around the time attunements were removed, and I do not recall this system ever being implemented. It sounds like you may be referring to a mod.
    I definitely remember the system he's talking about, you marked your role (after 3.1). It could be used for group quests (and specifying which quest you were on), and for dungeons, and for raids - but you could only mark three items you were interested in. It was added in 2.0. http://www.wowpedia.org/LFD#History.

But this isn't a WoW thread, so...

I believe many people are still thinking in classic terms of: you go down, you're done, so don't get hit and don't take risks. But in GW2, you're expected to get knocked on your ass every now and then. The whole downstate system, the fact that everyone has effectively unlimited and cooperative combat rezzing, encounter designs and various other things all play into this. There aren't "trinity" tanks and "trinity" healers because they really aren't needed.

TLDR: Guard tank, Ele Healer, any three DPS. *cough*
    Last edited by Tychus; 2012-08-22 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I definitely remember the system he's talking about, you marked your role (after 3.1).
    O_o

I played well after even when Sunwell came out, and I definitely do not remember this system. Maybe it just wasn't widely used on my server?
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-22 at 06:54 PM.