Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Worst "feature" in games this generation, eg DLC or DRM etc

Over the last decade or so we have seen new features creep there way into the gaming industry which are justified by devs/publishers to stop piracy or to generate more revenue out of the consumers. Out of the list below what do you think has been the worst "feature" to be introduced so far?

Always-on DRM (must be online to play a game)
    Constant Patching (releasing unfinished games)
    Free-to-Play when paying gives gameplay advantages
    In-game advertising (many iOS and Android games)
    On-Disc DLC (paying to unlock parts of the game you bought)
    Governments censoring/banning certain games (Australia,Germany. not a "feature" but still annoying )

If a mod could add a poll it would be appreciated
    Original Thread idea from Neo7 CH

DLCs

hate them, greedy filthy business model.

DLC completed before game release.

Free to play + micros. What happened to trying out something with a demo and paying 1 fee for 100% content?

EDIT: I suppose i should include DLC along with that. So really my most hated thing about games today are the payment models.
    Last edited by panterarules; 2012-08-22 at 12:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Always-on DRM. Listen, Diablo III, I don't want to have to be online just to play a single player game.

On-disk DLC doesn't bother me now that I know the reasoning behind it.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/mass-effect-3-dlc
    Putin khuliyo

* Day-1 DLC - Don't hold back stuff that's already/almost complete, finish the game and then you can start working on expansions or pricey DLCs.
    * "Artistic integrity" - The thing that annoyed me the most in the ME3 fiasco. You can't claim artistic integrity when you have: Day-1 DLC & exclusive pre-order bonuses. Don't pretend to be something you aren't, either admit it or don't say anything at all.
    * Exclusive pre-order bonuses - When I buy a game I want the whole game, not a part of it. And being forced to pick a retailer if there's a bonus I'd like. Where I buy the game from should be irrelevant to the game content.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    * Day-1 DLC - Don't hold back stuff that's already/almost complete, finish the game and then you can start working on expansions or pricey DLCs.
    * "Artistic integrity" - The thing that annoyed me the most in the ME3 fiasco. You can't claim artistic integrity when you have: Day-1 DLC & exclusive pre-order bonuses. Don't pretend to be something you aren't, either admit it or don't say anything at all.
    * Exclusive pre-order bonuses - When I buy a game I want the whole game, not a part of it. And being forced to pick a retailer if there's a bonus I'd like. Where I buy the game from should be irrelevant to the game content.
    This too, pre-order bonuses, or rather ingame actual bonuses instead of cosmetic things that you get for some premium edition or whatever is greedy, awful and very nasty business.

DLC and DRM don't affect me too much. I'd say in game advertising.I buy a lot of apps for my phone, keyword is buy. I don't need you to generate extra money when I already gave you some just to use your product.

Not to mention I read an article that said free phone games take a lot of memory, because the advertisements track your location. So now the games I paid for are doing the same thing? No thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The insane shortage of game time..

No, I don't want to pay 60€ for a game that lasts for 10 hours. I don't care how pretty it looks, I want to be able to play it for more than a day.

One other thing is multiple exclusive pre-order bonuses. I.e. different stores give different bonuses. Ubisoft have gone batshit crazy with this for Assassin's Creed 3, including have three different collector's edition versions. I mean wtf, if you want all in-game content, you'll have to purchase the game three times in different versions from different stores.

Link to all three AC3 versions.
    Last edited by Kheirn; 2012-08-22 at 01:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

F2P and always-on DRM

DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

I hate DLC's. It brings laziness even into the greatest companies.

Deleted
    Always-On DRM: Get the hell out. Yes, I know I'm connected to the internet like 90% of my waking time (and my phone will be online until it runs out of power). That doesn't mean I want to be kicked out of my game every time a network fluke makes me miss a heartbeat check with the server.

Day-1 DLC/DLC that's NOT DLC: Short version... No. Long version... NooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOoooooo! I have nothing against not having every little single thing available to me when I start the game. I liked unlocking new fighters in my fightign games by winning the arcade mode with multiple stock fighters. But don't make me pay $5 to unlock a fighter that is already on the disk and not unlockable by any other means than shelling out more money for my already $60 game. Same with having to shell out another amount to see movies/gameplay/additions that got stuffed on the disk at the last moment. Or added only for people who got the original...

F2P is not neccesarily a bad thing... as long as the pay-to-win part is completely optional. As cheesy as it sounds, the First-Person Hat Simulator (TF2) is a good example. All the stuff you can buy is either cosmetic or a side-grade to what you start with. And in fact, sometimes completely useless. Good luck breaking through a good defense if your medics only use Kritzkriegs and never a normal Medigun.

10+ Year Old Account
    exclusive pre-order and always online would be for me the most reatarded ones...
    yeah sometims i just can't buy the game right now, or i missed the pre-order, and when that puts me out of "exclusive" content it's just idiotic...
    ...don't make even start on the stupidiest "always online" thing, ugh
    Last edited by shimargh; 2012-08-22 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion View Post
    The loss of the ability to pass on loot is the loss of the ability to choose. This is communism
    Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    A year from now someone on these forums is gonna say that the (wod) launch went smoothly..... I am gonna remind that asshole of this launch, this shit is not going smoothly at all.

I really don't have an issue with any of the main items on that list. The releasing unfinished games (unrelated to constant patching, which can be a good thing) is annoying though.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    DLC.

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Lol. Love people who don't understand the point and purpose of day 1 DLC.

DLC, if used correctly, is a fantastic thing. Day 1 DLC is also a great thing, IF USED CORRECTLY. If abused, sure, it's crap: but day 1 DLC will mean more content for us, and more importantly more job stability for game developers. A brief overview of the lifespan of a game:

Before day 1 DLC: Develop game. Game goes 'gold' (no more development can be done to it). Developers sit around twiddling thumbs while game goes through the marketing/retail motions. Game is released to the public.

With day 1 DLC: Develop game. Game goes 'gold'. Developers can continue developing the game, making day 1 DLC whilst waiting for the game to get through all the marketing/retail stuff. Game is released to the public alongside day 1 DLC.

With this in mind, it's important to note that you are only gaining stuff with day 1 DLC: they haven't taken important stuff out of the game in a cheap money grabbing ploy (or at least, they shouldn't have: I know some game developers are that shady, alas). They have only developed new content that you would not have gotten at all before day 1 DLC was possible.

The other thing to take note of is that it is proven that gamers are far less likely to buy DLC the longer they have to wait for it. If the DLC isn't out the door in the first couple weeks, then the amount of people who buy it decreases drastically. What sane businessman wouldn't take advantage of day 1 DLC in that case? It's sound business strategy.

To clarify, the day 1 DLC that unlocks stuff already on the disc is fucking terrible. There should be some sort of law against that shit. If it is done in the method described above, however? It can only be a great thing, giving us more content that we would not have gotten otherwise.

At the end of the day though, put your money where your mouth is. Don't buy stuff you don't agree with. Boycott the companies who use shady DLC tactics (don't just mindlessly boycott all DLC, that's stupid: some DLC can be brilliant additions to the game).

The next one that has been mentioned in this thread so far: Always online requirements. Again, depending on the reason for its use, it can either be a good thing or a pointlessly annoying thing.

Best example of a good 'always online' game: Diablo 3. It's used to provide the players with a better gaming environment. Sure, there are downsides to always online, but the benefits outweigh the downsides.

A bad example would be any game that requires it for the sole reason of preventing piracy. Piracy is going to happen regardless, so requiring always online for an otherwise purely singleplayer game is utterly pointless and annoying (since pirates will still figure out a way to play the game, thus ensuring the 'always online' requirement only pisses off the legitimate gamers).

Which brings me to the other widely hated thing: DRM. Stupid, pointless, stop treating gamers like children/criminals please. I understand why it's being done (because pirates are basically awful and really need to stop being so selfish), but the methods of DRM used so far are not the answer. They just punish the legitimate gamers while mildly inconveniencing the pirates.

Honestly, the method of DRM I most support is the subtle type. Let them pirate the game, sure. Go for it. But make subtle changes to the game. I remember reading an article about a game which, for all intents and purposes, didn't have DRM. But then, at the end boss, after slogging through the game (I think the game made itself harder to defeat as well), it crashed, deleted all your save files, and basically gave you the middle finger.

That's how you defeat pirates. Ruin the thing they care about: the gameplay experience.

In-game advertisements. For reasons mainly related to insane piracy on both platforms(around 60% of all copies are pirated), game developers who want to monetize their apps generally put advertisements in games. Although the paid versions of apps don't have these, due to piracy some games are having their deluxe versions pulled for an entirely free-to-play, advertisement-ridden experience.

I can deal with everything except online only.

On-Disc DLC (paying to unlock parts of the game you bought)

Hands down the worst thing ever. Personally I hate DLC in the first place. but when its on the disk that i purchased but not unlocked....... that's a whole new level of hate.