Deleted

PvE vs. PvP gear - how does it work?

Can someone give me a brief explanation of how gear works in PvP compared to PvE?

I read a pretty detailed guide a few weeks back and understand most of it. I understand the different gear quality (Mastercraft, Legendary etc.) and that you have 8 slots for PvE gear etc. In general, gear in PvE works pretty much as we've come to expect in an MMO.

But when it comes to PvP I believe all of these gear-stats are somehow relocated to a gem and or ring? I'm not quite sure.

That's the part I didn't quite understand.

So can someone briefly explain how PvP gear works as opposed to PvE (where gear works pretty much as you'd expect it to work)?
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2012-08-22 at 03:40 PM.

PvE gear: all items have stats, mix and match items to get the stat combination (and look) you want

PvP gear: Only amulet has gear, level 80 exotic PvE gear will sum to the total stats on a PvP amulet (some margin of error for certain stat combinations)

PvE gear is used in the world and in WvW. PvP gear is used in the mists -> structured PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

As Rhandric said. In sPvP you use special PvP gear, and only the Amulet has stats (a lot of it to compensate for gear) and gear just has runes and sigils to give you set bonusses and effects.

In PvE these stats are spread out across all your gear (with some pieces being bigger contributors then others). Aswell as the sigils and runes.

Deleted
    Ok so assuming my PvE gear totals: +200 Power, +150 Toughness, + 100 Precision, + 50 Conditions then all these stats are carried over to the PvP amulet, right?

Does the amulet then simply copy my existing gear or are there a number of pre-set amulets all with different, pre-determined stats? Ergo, can I customize my amulet or must I rely on presets?

And how do rings/jewels etc. fit it?

Deleted
    Basically you get a piece of gear with no stats at all but you can choose PvP only runes to add to it which add all the stats, so it's being able to choose specifically what stats you want.

I dont even know if you can get rings + jewels. The amulets have an ARSELOAD of stats on them, though. And yes, there are preset amulets, but there are tonnes of them, so you can really have almost any combination anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Ok so assuming my PvE gear totals: +200 Power, +150 Toughness, + 100 Precision, + 50 Conditions then all these stats are carried over to the PvP amulet, right?

Does the amulet then simply copy my existing gear or are there a number of pre-set amulets all with different, pre-determined stats? Ergo, can I customize my amulet or must I rely on presets?

And how do rings/jewels etc. fit it?
    PvE gear does not carry over into PvP.

PvP has its own set of gear that load when you enter the Mists. The only stats you have is on a preset Amulet+Jewel then everything else is just cosmetic, however there is a vendor on the right that sells different amulets and jewels so you can mix and match. Then at the Armorsmith you can buy different Runes, you have 6 slots to put Runes in (1 for each gear) and they go upto a 6set Bonus. Sigils you can put into your weapon and they only have a bonus on that weapon, you buy this from the weaponsmith. You can also buy different weapons for the different weaponsets from there if you don't like the default weapons.

PvP Gear that you earn from spending Glory of Chests at the Glory Vendor, or Tournament Chests have the exact same stats as your current PvP gear, but look different. However you will need to resocket it with a sigil/rune if you want to use that. There is a PvP locker that you can deposit all your PvP items/gear/runes etc. into so you can save it there and save on bag space when PvE'ing.

As you do more sPvP/Tournaments, you gain more Ranks and at each 10 level Rank interval there is an appropriate Glory Vendor for that rank range. You purchase Bronze/Silver/Gold Chests (varying amount of Glory to buy) and get cooler and cooler gear though it is random on which piece you can get.
    Last edited by Sinnermighty; 2012-08-22 at 04:08 PM.

All your PvP stats come from preset amulets. The rest of your PvP gear is statless, and just for appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.