Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    nor am i religious, however, that painting is so badly done she has basically defaced a church.
    So you are saying she did a terrible job? Sure, noone says otherwise. She's very bad about it. She's not a professional restorer, she just helped out a real restorer a couple of times, in minor details, and she thought she was up to more.

But really, what's the worst that could happen? That they have to whiten that church wall again? She destroyed a painting that wasn't worth much. What do you want to do to her? put her on the stake? For not being a religious person (i am) you take this kind of matter a bit too seriously. Even from a religious point of view, it's not a big deal (i visit some very hard-line conservative religious sites from Spain, and they call for compassion with the "kindly pious old lady" who just botched a painting).

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold of Skullcrusher View Post
    Just another painting of Jesus on the wall, who cares..
    I'd say that, IMHO, it's now the best painting of Jesus on the wall. They're all just paintings... but this is the first one that had an actual purpose apart from "hang in there and be looked upon"; it made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    So you are saying she did a terrible job? Sure, noone says otherwise. She's very bad about it. She's not a professional restorer, she just helped out a real restorer a couple of times, in minor details, and she thought she was up to more.

But really, what's the worst that could happen? That they have to whiten that church wall again? She destroyed a painting that wasn't worth much. What do you want to do to her? put her on the stake? For not being a religious person (i am) you take this kind of matter a bit too seriously. Even from a religious point of view, it's not a big deal (i visit some very hard-line conservative religious sites from Spain, and they call for compassion with the "kindly pious old lady" who just botched a painting).
    Whilst the painting was damaged and low value it was part of that churches history, it's a very classical painting depicting christ, I can understand why people of the faith are upset by what has happened. They could have at some stage decided enough was enough and it is time to restore the classical piece which is the embodiment of the history of they church.

Now they have no choice other than to gloss over the image and start fresh, it's a real shame and a part of local history/culture is now gone forever.

Whilst the painting was damaged and low value it was part of that churches history, it's a very classical painting depicting christ, I can understand why people of the faith are upset by what has happened. They could have at some stage decided enough was enough and it is time to restore the classical piece which is the embodiment of the history of they church.

Now they have no choice other than to gloss over the image and start fresh, it's a real shame and a part of local history/culture is now gone forever.
    nah, it was just some crappy painting less than a 100 years old.

srsly though? pretty sure Michael J Fox could do a better job repainting this than that lady, lol

Deleted
    I can understand why people of the faith are upset by what has happened.
    Yes, but their upset is not directed to the old lady, it's directed to the institutional abandonment, both from the public institutions and the local bishopric.

Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    Yes, but their upset is not directed to the old lady, it's directed to the institutional abandonment, both from the public institutions and the local bishopric.
    Yet had she been capable and restored the picture back to some form of it's original quality they would have no abandonment to complain of. Regardless of who it is directed at the fault lays primarily at her door, she should have known that she was incapable of doing this work. The church itself also holds a significant portion of blame as they should have ensured she had the ability to do so also.

nah, it was just some crappy painting less than a 100 years old.
    Doesn't have to be several centuries old to be part of the local history/culture.

15+ Year Old Account
    I believe the issue was big enough for the donor who wanted it to be restored and happened to be the granddaughter of the man who originally made it. In these regions art like this tends to be tied to the generations after the original artist. So they were thoroughly annoyed. It's more a case of the people fearing the original art being lost forever or not. As for being worthless because there's many of them: I believe that's subjective. While it is true that it's not a great loss in greater picture because there is nothing extraordinary to it in local sense however it's like losing part of a family heritage. Even so art can have an influence on others and sometimes it's interesting to see where it all started.
    However I believe thanks to modern computer-supported techniques it's possible to get it restored to almost original qualities. They have restored things in the past which were complete ruins, dust and debris.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I never knew Jesus would be scary...
    LOL I know right? People that aren't real are hilarious imo!

Anyhoo, the picture just SCREAMS "Herp Derp"
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Who would let an 80-year old amateur fix a painting?
    Last edited by Thedarkhunt; 2012-08-23 at 10:22 AM.

Sorry, did she re-paint over the originale picture or? Dont get it.

Also, didnt really find it that fun :< I mean okay...bad drawing skils, but I couldent do it better I bet (I BLOW at drawing etc)
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2012-08-23 at 10:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, first mistake is they made Thrall look Caucasian.

Quote Originally Posted by florestan View Post
    that's not random - the authenticity of the Letter of Lentulus (which purports to give an eyewitness account of Jesus' appearance) was accepted unquestioned for a long time (today it is generally accepted as a forgery but you will still find Christians who believe it to be authentic).
    hahah yeah sure Jesus was white

She deserves a freaking medal of comedy!

Deleted
    As an atheist, I find this to be very amusing xD

Quote Originally Posted by Phreddy View Post
    As an atheist, I find this to be very amusing xD
    Atheist? How dare you not worship the mighty god: Sasquatch Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I feel bad for the old lady. She's probably mortified and now people are blowing this out of proportion.
    Wait, how are people blowing this out of proportion? She ruined it. She scrubbed off parts completely, irreversibly, and painted over others.

Quote Originally Posted by anothdae View Post
    Wait, how are people blowing this out of proportion? She ruined it. She scrubbed off parts completely, irreversibly, and painted over others.
    She improved it. It is now severalfold more interesting to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

Actually, that old woman has been a skilled painter her whole life. Sure, age might have taken its toll; but I'd say it looks like an incomplete work.

The original was very deteriorated, as the picture shows; and it'd seem that she's done something basic - cover all the cracks first, add the details later. If you think about it, now that the colors are in place, all that remains is adding the details.

15+ Year Old Account
    She made the worlds first Panda-Jesus
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Best painting of Jesus, ever!