How does the instant AoE setting work?

Or whatever that setting is called that bypasses the green circle + click to cast an AoE. I haven't tried it out yet but since I decided to play a Necro yesterday, I would like to know more about this before release.

From my observations:
    - if you have your mouse pointer out, the AoE is cast where mouse pointer is when you press the AoE skill
    - if you have a target selected and the mouse pointer is hidden, the AoE is cast where your enemy was at the time the AoE skill was pressed

So first, are my current observations right? Second, what happens if you don't have a target selected and have the mouse cursor hidden, where does the AoE land?

Third, how does the guy in this video cast AoE right at the place where the enemy was without targetting or using the mouse cursor? I linked the video to 1min 32sec, where you see him running up the stairs and immediately casting the Necro Staff Marks right at the place where the enemy is standing without targetting or using the mouse cursor.

Thanks
    Last edited by Grable; 2012-08-23 at 07:22 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

15+ Year Old Account
    From my experience it's where you mouse pointer is at. I've tried having my pointer somewhere else while targeting an enemy but it just end up going where the pointer is, imo it's quite useful, may take a few tries to get used to it, but it's a neat feature.
    Last edited by Clockwork Pinkie; 2012-08-23 at 08:02 AM.

Deleted
    It's like League of Legends' smartcasting.
    It's an option in the menu. It's called auto-spell target or something.
    It casts spell where your mouse pointer is without the circle appearing to target the area.
    It's great for fast paced combat, where every milisecond you take to make that 1 extra click counts.
    Last edited by mmoc2aad59a6a5; 2012-08-23 at 08:12 AM.

Your first observaton is right. It casts the spell where your pointer is but it doesn't cast it on a target

It essentially removes a click from casting ground targeted spells. It casts where ever your curser is but you lose the "red or green circle" feedback that lets you know when you are out of range. It's a bit faster overall but I wouldn't recomend using it unless you are familiar with the spell ranges.

The video you linked is exactly what the fast cast ground targeting is.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

eee I think you three missed my question though, I'm asking how is he able to put down AoEs where he wants WITHOUT the mouse cursor (if you see from the vid he isn't using it).
    Last edited by Grable; 2012-08-23 at 08:17 AM.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    eee I think you three missed my question though, I'm asking how is he able to put down AoEs where he wants WITHOUT the mouse cursor (if you see from the vid he isn't using it).
    More than likely because he didn't enable the mouse in FRAPS so it doesn't record the mouse position.

It might be his recording program. I don't record but I believe there are programs that make it so the mouse doesn't show up in videos.

There isn't a way to cast ground AoE's without a mouse at all as far as I know.
    "Haters give me balance, every Kyle's got a Cartman." -George Watsky

Hm that might explain it yeah. I can't find any other reason on how he would be able to cast AoEs where he wants without the mouse cursor. Didn't think they would be able to hide mouse cursor in-game as well.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Deleted
    Yep, most decent recording programs allows you the option to show/hide the mouse cursor. And most professional and semi-professional recorders will choose not to show the mouse in the recording, unless it's important to the video (such as playing a point-and-click game or describing specific UI elements).

Yeah it was that. Got the reply from the maker of the video and he said that he hid the mouse cursor.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    Hm that might explain it yeah. I can't find any other reason on how he would be able to cast AoEs where he wants without the mouse cursor. Didn't think they would be able to hide mouse cursor in-game as well.

It doesn't hide the mouse cursor in game. The person playing can see their mouse cursor just fine. The program used to record however, hides the mouse from the recording. I know for a fact that this is even the default option for almost all recording software (personally I use Fraps and X-split).

The Auto-target AoE will always cast at the cursor. Extremely useful when you know how to position yourself, while mouse moving, to position the camera to throw at your target without needed the cursor visible.
    Last edited by Bluedragonwolf; 2012-08-23 at 08:40 AM.