Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Enoy it my friends :) GW2 is the evolution of a genre

allow me to preface this by saying I am now 33 yrs old.. I've grown up with the internet to the degree only few understand. It started when I was in high school hearing other techies talk about a "modem".. and with that i began with 14.4k baud I ventured into what became to be known as the internet

it was a text world back then but the possibilities were endless.. this new frontier had parts of it called BBS'.. these BBS' had.. RolePlaying Games much like the time-management games that now dominate Facebook and iPhone.. that's pretty much what the BBS RPG's were

then came MUD's.. it was the BBS' evolution.. then a completely world changing breakthrough.. Ultima Online.. then Everquest.. and FFXI online.. each one took something from the other and somehow someway, evolved it to the better of the mmo genre. To those who do not know, Everquest and FFXI as amazing as they were at the time.. was hard. Very hard.. Hardcore to the CORE. Then came a game called World of Warcraft .. this mmo further took things from its predecessors and enhanced it to make things.. FUN.

WoW became the top mmo game because it was FUN. It didnt have the insane hardcoreness of EQ until you've reached the endgame and it didn't shackle you to groups like FFXI did and presented the best experience levelling up. Warcraft took the world by storm.. but this is where the story stalled. Other games in the MMO market saw WoW's dominance and tried to replicate it..

keyword: tried. to. replicate. This was a failure of epic proportions.. 7+ years and nothing has come close to WoW except the original Guild Wars which was not even an mmo.. other games copied WoW's formula but this proved foolish because why would you pay money to play a COPY of a game?! Everyone eventually went back to wow

Enter Guild Wars 2.. it truly is the next evolution of the mmo genre and I for one couldn't be happier. Enjoy it everyone.. 7+ years.. it's been so bloody long. YOU DESERVE TO HAVE FUN AGAIN. Yes, you deserve to have fun! When you play and we experience things.. it's junkies experiencing the high for the first time once more and when the high subsides and you are immersed in this amazing world.. I want you to savor it. It's not so often we get an experience that makes our time spent worthwhile.

You will get to experience things that you long since thought dead and buried! Embrace it.. give yourself to it.. you are in the middle of something amazing! Do not deprive yourself of enjoying the moment and having fun again
    • Playing in a world where others are playing COOPERATIVELY and not competitively anti-social
    • real interactions with people you actually play with
    • exploring a fantastic world.. literally going out there and seeing for yourself what lies beyond the bridge in the distance
    • actual server COMMUNITIES and people, specially with WvW? you'll be amazed at this thing called Server Pride! something you may or may not have ever experienced before
    • local reputations and co-existence and rivalries between guilds
    • so much more to list but are genuine moments to be experienced again

BBS -> MUDs -> UO -> EQ -> FFXI -> WoW ... and nothing since

Until now. Every now and then someone comes along with a passion.. a vision. Real talent to make those dreams come true.. what I'm trying to say is enjoy it.. I'll share one of the pictures I love most.. it's not the commercial you've probably already seen.. this was a mural at their headquarters on the wall

truly, here's to the crazy

TL;DR: This is not a game, it's ArenaNET's Love Letter to the entire mmo genre allow yourselves to be enthralled by magic once more.. enjoy it everyone!

Charlie, you are way to excited. No offence, been waiting 5 years myself, bought the CE and i am going to wake up 3 hours earlier (5 am) on Saturday, hoping the servers are live early, but i think what you wrote makes you overexcited.

Also, did i misunderstand or did you apply that picture was on ANets wall, yet it has an Apple logo on it ?

Pretty sure World of Warcraft became the top MMO because it was approachable and accessible to vastly wider and broader audience than like any MMO previous.

Also who is to say I [& others by extension] are not having fun in other MMOs with a different gameplay style?

A dubious opening post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Evolution of a genre...charlieclown not charlie prince would be better, but glad to see noone is hyping this game up too much..
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-08-23 at 04:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Indeed...

The game is good, but hardly a revolution maybe a small evolution / push forward. I would say its a good supplement to whats already out there but its not going to offer anything to those who are hardcore fans of traditional raiding / MMO's

Yeah, WoW is the Internet Explorer of MMOs. The default. Stagnating, but unchallenged.

Hopefully GW2 will be the Firefox of MMOs. Something to kickstart the race again. It's not perfect, but it's a reasonable alternative with some new ideas for WoW and any future MMOs to steal.

Later on, we'll get the Chrome of MMOs, and I might be able to give up WoW for good. For now, I'll use a mixture of WoW and GW2 for my MMO needs.

Deleted
    I'm not seeing the evolution part here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its only an evolution if you dont want a trinity system, its only an evolution if you really need a 'dynamic' events system, its actually a regression of the genre if you enjoy mounts/raiding/flying un-inastanced worlds etc etc. Its innovative its not an evolution of a genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Pretty sure World of Warcraft became the top MMO because it was approachable and accessible to vastly wider and broader audience than like any MMO previous.
    yep, covered that WoW was definitely a breath of fresh air in an Everquest and FFXI Online dominated landscape

I still remember people having orgies about the fact that you didn't need to group to level up back in the day

WoW was definitely a gamechanger

Twitter: @EsmeraldoC

No offense, the world seemed good, but the WvWvW just bored me to death. 20 mins battering on keep door equals snooze fest.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread won't end well. Plenty of people will be insulted just because you insinuate that they're not already having fun.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-23 at 04:22 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    No offense, the world seemed good, but the WvWvW just bored me to death. 20 mins battering on keep door equals snooze fest.
    Might be because you're supposed to use siege weapons...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    ehm

/fillup

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP makes me incredibly uncomfortable.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Sorry Charlie (heh), but you should know better than to share your excitement on the intrawebz. It's everyone's favorite spot to shit in your cereal. So I hope you don't get too much of that here.

I share your enthusiasm though.

Man, OP needs to stop with these fanatical posts, they're really starting to freak me out.
    Last edited by Dodrin; 2012-08-23 at 04:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmoe View Post
    Sorry Charlie (heh), but you should know better than to share your excitement on the intrawebz. It's everyone's favorite spot to shit in your cereal. So I hope you don't get too much of that here.

I share your enthusiasm though.
    Enthusiasm is one thing. This OP was worded as if he was trying to sell us something or recruiting members for a cult. Hell, a huge chunk of his post was made up of wild assumptions about a community that doesn't even exist yet.

Viewing this (or any) game as some sort of cyber messiah is generally viewed as a mistake. Not to mention this got it's own thread when the entire thing could have been tacked onto the 3809109 existing threads in the form of "I'm super excited for this game, it's exactly what I've been waiting for."

/endcynicalrealitycheck
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Viewing this (or any) game as some sort of cyber messiah is generally viewed as a mistake.
    Most indubitably. I mean. I look forward to this game, but not like that. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    I'm not seeing the evolution part here.
    Didn't read the OP, too busy staring at the Apple thing, but I'd say that GW2 is an evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Might be because you're supposed to use siege weapons...
    Which you can't afford early game...

Sorry but if you make level 1's able to pvp, you need to give them access to siege weapons. Especially since that's all im interested in for GW2
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!