Poll: Do you think Lance Armstrong should face trial for fraud?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    He wouldn't go to prison for taking drugs, he would go to prison for perjury, lying under oath. Apparently the statute of limitations has expired in certain cases, which is why it is uncertain if he will go to prison. However, he sued in the UK for libel and won, obviously, that would now mean his testimony was bullshit.
    Ok, got it. Just under the original comment, you made it seem like you wanted him to go to jail for doping the sport.

Now, as far as I am concerned. This is a gray area. Prison for a civil suit? I dunno if the UK is criminal or not, the first case wasn't. Though it seems the civil suit should swing the other way, only harsher. As in more money for the paper. So I'd imagine the second case remaining civil.

At the time, the report was bullshit and most people defended him. Now HIS report was bullshit, criminal? No. Civil? Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Anyone thinking that he was not dope, is thick.
    Enjoy your minority of 1,5%.
    Don't really care, if it were up to me all athletes would be hopped up on coke, painkillers and steroids to make their sports more interesting.
    Of course I would start with making it mandatory nascar drivers all got hopped up on LSD before every race.

Deleted
    You can be sued for perjury in both civil and criminal cases - both are sworn under oath. In Britain, there is no statute of limitations on perjury. A very famous case is that of Jeffrey Archer, who sued for libel in 1987 and won. In 2001 it was revealed he lied during the 1987 trial, and he was sentenced to 4 years imprisonment.

A key issue is that the Sunday Times settled their case with Armstrong, rather than a judgement being awarded as in the Archer case. Doubtless, he is probably going to end up having to pay the money back to the Sunday Times, with interest.

There is also the possibility he could get dragged into a case for defrauding the US Postal Service (the sponsors of his former team). Defrauding a government agency is pretty serious.

I can only speak for myself but I'm not too surprised. Even if there was no smoking gun there were just too many rumours from too many people. One or two you can chalk up to disgruntled people but as the saying goes where there's smoke there is fire. The only 2 things I'm curious is why now? Was he tired of having to lie all the time? Did he finally wake up and realize what he did was wrong? And the second thing is if Sheryl Crow knew when she divorced him.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Don't really care, if it were up to me all athletes would be hopped up on coke, painkillers and steroids to make their sports more interesting.
    Of course I would start with making it mandatory nascar drivers all got hopped up on LSD before every race.
    With that attitude you would be responsible (as part of the society) when young athlets (many start with 14 years) kill themself with these drugs or get life long sickness. The GDR (eastern Germany befor the wall fell) doped his young athlets. They all have health problems now...
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

He wouldn't go to prison for taking drugs, he would go to prison for perjury, lying under oath. Apparently the statute of limitations has expired in certain cases, which is why it is uncertain if he will go to prison. However, he sued in the UK for libel and won, obviously, that would now mean his testimony was bullshit.
    Obstruction of justice since it was a federal investigation. He was making threats to those bringing the evidence. I hope this fraud serves time.

"The only 2 things I'm curious is why now? Was he tired of having to lie all the time? Did he finally wake up and realize what he did was wrong? And the second thing is if Sheryl Crow knew when she divorced him.

They evidence was piling up. I heard he divorced her, after learning she had breast cancer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Evidently Armstrong admitted in an interview w/ Oprah that he used performance enhancing drugs.

It's really too bad...I watched every single Tour and thought I was witnessing a legit once in a lifetime run.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Too bad there has never been a civil case against him only an investigation, and nor would I want my taxpayer money going to that. Sorry, but I don't care about people using steroids. If they want to use them, go for it. His beef is with the cycling association, not the american people.

It's irresponsible to try to take your beef up with Lance Armstrong in a civil or criminal investigation. I, as an American citizen, hold no ill will against Lance. I didn't watch him bike. I don't really care what he did. If he took drugs, much as I assume a lot of people do, well that's on him. The only people that should be concerned about his drug usage is his cycling association, which is his "employer" which has no criminal leverage against him, and DEA or police should have found evidence of him having drugs on him, intent to sell, distro, etc. If he wasn't breaking a major law, I don't care about it. They wasted to much money on this. The war against Drugs is retarded. Let the employer deal with his punishment, not the American people.

Also. Eddy Merckx isn't any better than Armstrong, and is neither the greatest cyclist ever. He tested positive 3 separate times. Yeah... At least Lance had some deniability.
    Last edited by tehdef; 2013-01-15 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    And I LOVE how you dodged a clear simple question about speeding... but thats okay... I am curious how much the USADA is paying their witnesses, and how much they are paying you to spout their accusations.
    after he admitted using , you must feel pretty silly now.
    Im actually not funny, im just really mean and people think im joking.

I don't think Lance Armstrong used drugs. Because I don't think about it at all. He hasn't committed any war crimes, or saved any babies from burning buildings, he's a fucking cyclist. This is not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwood View Post
    I don't think Lance Armstrong used drugs. Because I don't think about it at all. He hasn't committed any war crimes, or saved any babies from burning buildings, he's a fucking cyclist. This is not a big deal.
    Well. He is a fraud in a sport where there is money involved. It's also about the glory and fame based on a lie, sense of fair play and all. I don't care that much to think that he should go to prison, but it's good when cheaters are exposed imo. That's the most important thing here. One could argue that since this is cycling we are talking about it isn't really a big deal that he used performance enhancing drugs though, with everyone using it and all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    Too bad there has never been a civil case against him only an investigation
    Lance Armstrong has been involved in a couple of civil cases where he has sued other people for libel, and where he sued to (wrongfully) obtain prize money owed to him. As much as you may like to believe that "oh well, it's only cycling, idgaf", lying under oath - and especially lying under oath to get money - can, and should always be subject to the penalties of perjury. Perjury is a "major law", indeed it is one of the founding principles of any civilised society. How would we get on if everybody lied under oath?

The guy deserves to go to prison, Marion Jones did, and I hope he gets his comeuppance.

Intimidating witness's (they will testify) in a federal investigation is a criminal offense. There is more here than a biker lying about steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Evidently Armstrong admitted in an interview w/ Oprah that he used performance enhancing drugs.

It's really too bad...I watched every single Tour and thought I was witnessing a legit once in a lifetime run.
    Really? I dont mean to like bash you are anything but wouldnt it just be common sense to think that in a sport where pretty much everyone was cheating that the guy who was dominating everyone was else was cheating as well? I never for once thought he was legit. I hope he goes to jail for stealing so much money and ruining people's lives that tried to expose him for the piece of shit that he is.

10+ Year Old Account
    If his tests came back clean, he was clean. Even if he wasn't, the tests are what you have to go by. Can't just say "oh that guy was doping, no proof but trust me.".
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    If his tests came back clean, he was clean. Even if he wasn't, the tests are what you have to go by. Can't just say "oh that guy was doping, no proof but trust me.".
    I don't even know where to begin. It is simply staggering that still - STILL - people are saying Lance isn't guilty.

I don't think he should be stripped of his awards. From what I understand a shit ton of cyclers are juicing too so you'd have to disqualify all of them too. IMO the man is probably lying, but because their drug testing rules are so easily exploited, they haven't caught him. So for the time being, I think he's lying and I still admire the cheating bastard because he raised about half a billion dollars for cancer research and has been an inspiration to so many people.

So yeah he's a fantastic athlete and (probably) cheated in a sport where roughly half the competition is cheating as well. If I were in his shoes I'd probably have done the same thing. I'm not going to allow half the competition a substantial edge in a sport I've based my entire career off of. Although now that it's over for him, I think it's time for him to come clean and admit to what he did. Money and fame are wonderful but the truth will set you free.

10+ Year Old Account
    We know he doped but his test came back negative for anything. What does that say about everyone elses tests that came back negative? Why is their tests okay but his is not?

In a race where everyone "dopes" only the losers dont.

And why would the man have to step down from his own cancer foundation?

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    So...I don't follow cycling, but...I don't recall there being evidence against Armstrong. Care to link me said evidence?
    He was winning in cycling, you do not need more evidence than that. Cycling on that level is flooded with cheaters, this is fact, non cheaters have no chance.

So he is either A. cheating or B. Superman/The Flash.

Then there are the teammates who have come clean against him and then his upcoming admission.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larwood View Post
    Heh just cos you dont think doesn't make it untrue.
    He is a fraud and should be punished accordingly. Can you even begin to understand what Lance and all the other people using doping does to the sport?

It might get kicked out of the Olympics as an event, that is HOW serious it is.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.